Legion of Bones [1.05]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enarkz

Re: Legion of Bones [1.0]

Post by Enarkz »

Nice monster replacement the sprites are well done :D
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

Version 1.01 is up:
- Flipped the way that monsters are loaded so that instead of loading vanilla monsters by default and replacing all difficulty settings to spawn in their undead variants, the undead variants are loaded by default and Double Death forces vanilla monsters to spawn back in. This means that the new monsters will spawn regardless of load order, but Double Death only appears if the mod is loaded after your gameplay mod.
- Double Death now appears as three distinct difficulty settings, to allow players to use easier spawns under its ruleset. Ammo drops give 1.5x ammo for all three settings, down from 2x.
- Skull Zombies now drop bones when gibbed.
- Dragon Souls now drop bones when killed.
- Imp and Arachnotron projectiles now have decals defined.
- Slayer Knights now have a unique melee sound.
mrtaterz wrote:This is a absolutely lovely set of monsters. Do you mind if I use the Slayer Knight for my Dead Marine Redux mod?
Sure! Just make sure to add proper credit for any resources that you use.
Captain J wrote:And that's about it. Superb and good designing. And the whole Bone genre is just impressive! Looking forward to the update!
Thanks for the feedback! Answers to specific questions below.
Spoiler:
Gezzdt

Re: Legion of Bones [1.01]

Post by Gezzdt »

I think you forgot to name the difficulty settings. They are there but invisible.

*edit*
I am using GZDoom g4.2pre-323-gbe0478972, tested it without any other mod and without autoload stuff.

If i add the line for e.g. : Name = "Double Normal" in the mapinfo i can see the text.
Last edited by Gezzdt on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceyStrife

Re: Legion of Bones [1.01b]

Post by SpaceyStrife »

Ah, I see now. It shows up fine when graphics are used but it's invisible when the skill menu uses small fonts. I've updated the download again, hopefully that fixes it.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

AW SWEET hell YES! I've been itching for a mod that'll rattle me down to my BONES!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

SpacemanStrife wrote:- Also this is not a feedback, but am i seeing Army of Darkness Skeletons as Wolfenstein SS replacement? Really cool and clever!! XD Nice touch.
I swiped those from Freedoom's Archvile, actually. I wanted something quick to put over the Wolfenstein SS so they weren't left human.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the AoD skeleton was the source of the sprites for the FreeDoom archvile. If so, you're both right. :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Army of Darkness TC was released 5 years before Freedoom. Freedoom took the Skeleton sprite from the TC and other sprites like that Big mouth ghost one from Ghostbusters TC. Freedoom had quite a lot of sprite replacements throughout the time. But they recently, for some reason, stopped the whole re-spriting project so that Skeleton sprite is still there. People often mistake that the sprite was originally from Freedoom.

So now you know! It's a shame that Freedoom is presumably dead for the next couple of years.
SpacemanStrife wrote:I'm not sure I understand what this means. I did flip the direction of the sprites on the Revenant soul for some animations but I also renamed those sprite so that they rotate properly.

When you encounter Revenant, try activate God Mode and let it beat you for a moment. Turn on the Chasecam and move the camera to the left a little bit. Then this rotation error happens.
Would this be enough of a visual distinction between normal and homing?
That should be enough. Thank you!
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

Oh, I see what's going on - I forgot to call A_FaceTarget at the start of the punch. I've uploaded a new version that fixes this and adds the separate homing sprites:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/uflhkmuz ... 2.pk3/file
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

https://clips.twitch.tv/FurtiveKathishInternLitFam

got jumpscared by a hell knight, 10/10 mod.

No really, this is my new favorite monster mod.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

Made the mistake of playing this at 12:30 in the morning, right before bed. 3spooky5me/10.

Okay, but seriously, this is a really fun monster replacement. Spritework is really well done, and the concepts behind some of the monsters are really cool. Favorite monsters are the Hell Knight and Spectre replacements. My god, the Spectres look beautiful. All in all, this set would really fit in with something along the lines of Cheogsh 2.

Really nice work on this, Strife. Spotlight team, I hope you're looking at this one.

Might just have to borrow those hitscan tracer effects, those are really nice.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

"though zombies only drop vanilla weaponry"
Like, just vanilla doom guns? I thought there was some in-mod weapon they were supposed to drop.
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

Brohnesorge wrote:https://clips.twitch.tv/FurtiveKathishInternLitFam

got jumpscared by a hell knight, 10/10 mod.

No really, this is my new favorite monster mod.
The two weeks I spent drawing that monster was all worth it just for this moment. Glad you're enjoying it!
EddieMann wrote:"though zombies only drop vanilla weaponry"
Like, just vanilla doom guns? I thought there was some in-mod weapon they were supposed to drop.
What I meant by this is that unlike DoomRL's monster pack where some monsters would drop DoomRL-specific weapons like handguns and battle rifles, this monster pack only gives DoomRL's shotgun and chaingun from the Skull Shotgunner and Skull Chaingunner respectively.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Legion of Bones [1.02]

Post by Brohnesorge »

So I'm playing this with Soldier Z and I can't seem to get the Double Death mode to come up. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do on the development end to get the two mods to work together. This really is a wonderful monster mod so I want my stuff to work with it at max capacity.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I found that Legendoom and Champions, used with this mod, makes it so that the revived monsters in Double Death mode have a chance to become legendaries and champions, respectively. Is that intentional?

Loving the 1.5x extra ammo, by the way. Definitely feels like a much less frustrating equivalent to Nightmare.

Edit: Speaking of Champions, the two mini-monsters spawned by the indigo champions, assuming the champ in question's in the Vanilla Monster form, also have the reviving thing applied to them, essentially becoming two extra monsters of their own.
Squirb

Post by Squirb »

Brohnesorge wrote:So I'm playing this with Soldier Z and I can't seem to get the Double Death mode to come up. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do on the development end to get the two mods to work together. This really is a wonderful monster mod so I want my stuff to work with it at max capacity.
Did you try loading Legion of Bones after Solider Z? I tried that and got several options for Double Death at the end of difficulty list.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”