[Solved] Constant Stuttering?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
jakob

[Solved] Constant Stuttering?

Post by jakob »

Hey there, long time no see.

Apologies for the rather anemic bug report -- I don't know if "stuttering" is even the best way to describe this behavior -- I just don't know what kind of diagnostics this would warrant.

I've been able to reproduce this on GZDoom 3.7.2, 4.1.3, and g4.2pre-324-g43041c21d-m. The issue is that the game freezes up every other second. This is most noticeable in the menu if I hold down one of the arrow keys, which I've attempted to record:

https://femto.pw/3p23.webm

I don't believe this is related to OpenGL or audio, as the issue persists with a null audio backend and the Doom software renderer.

I am running GuixSD on x86_64 Linux 5.1.3.

Log:
Spoiler:
Last edited by jakob on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Constant Stuttering?

Post by Talon1024 »

Could this be related to the issue you're having?

More importantly, does this only happen with GZDoom, or does it happen with other games as well?
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Keep in mind that even when using the software renderer the final result is still presented by OpenGL in GZDoom.

I just tried launching GZDoom here and I don't see any stuttering at all. That's on a Windows system though. Last time I tried GZDoom on Linux is ran quite terribly. It had a very high frame rate yet at the same time it didn't feel remotely smooth. At the time I figured it was probably my Linux distro or the nvidia driver acting up.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

[Armchair developer mode on]
If only someone experienced on linux would go ahead and make an equivalent version of polybackend for SDL2, it should be pretty easy. :P
[Armchair developer mode off]
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

You only have to implement 4 functions or so to support that branch on Linux. Nevertheless, it doesn't explain why OpenGL ran so poorly on my Linux machine last I tried it. I would have examined it closer if it was my primary platform for development, but I didn't have any clear indicator of what the problem was for me to fix it using joe.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I'd like to do it but i don't even use Linux, and i suspect this time copy-pasta won't cut it (from the old pure software SDL backend). :lol:
jakob

Post by jakob »

Talon1024 wrote:Could this be related to the issue you're having?
Sadly, no.
Talon1024 wrote:More importantly, does this only happen with GZDoom, or does it happen with other games as well?
My apologies, I just tried running EDuke32 and ioquake3 and found that they have the same issue. I thought the problem would lie in GZDoom as other games were working fine just a few days ago, but that's not the case any longer. I'll mark this as solved, since it's apparent that this is not GZDoom-related.

Return to “Technical Issues”