ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
MaxRideWizardLord

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Ummm... Captain Claw Doom? The doom really lacks of a propert platforming mods tbh, even though GZDoom now can support moving 3D floors. After all we still have Jump Maze mod, but it's not really a platformer.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I think one reason for this might be that many players abhor platforming sections in FPS games... Disregarding special moves like wall-climbing from DOOM and parkour-style movements à la Mirror's Edge, I can't think of one example that did this right... And a bad one immediately comes to mind (Half-Life's Xen).
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Cherno wrote:I think one reason for this might be that many players abhor platforming sections in FPS games... Disregarding special moves like wall-climbing from DOOM and parkour-style movements à la Mirror's Edge, I can't think of one example that did this right... And a bad one immediately comes to mind (Half-Life's Xen).
The problem came not with the games, but the players itself, thus the abhor. The skill of average FPS casual, be that a quake, cod, doom or red orchestra or any other game is incredible low at very basic jumping-movement skill, but that's the by-product by not including platforming in the first case. HL's Xen's jumping section is actually decent although short, especially the Residue Processing chapter with different type of "platforming" and jumping techniques, unlike other games where the game automatically aims you at certain spot and the rest of movements are almost automated, namely almost all of PS3 third person games with a bit of parkour element, and especially with wall climbing and wall-jumping, which is been an unnecessary filler thing since beginning. Same for mirror's edge, the game plays for you and hold your hand through the whole process, which sometimes I feel like I'm watching a movie than playing a "parkour game". I guess new generation of FPS players would feel terrible without an implemented aim-assists either way.

The jump section of HL's Xen is one of the easiest. One of the few FPS games with a complicated platforming system I can think of is the Power Slave for PSX, although the game is relatively easy aside from a few hidden spots and tough bosses (which isn't much of a problem). Then again, there are custom mods like Jump Maze which have far more complicated jumping sections BUT are still not really a platformers simple because they lack of platforms. Same for TFC, which run on same engine as HL, had crapton of fan made Escape maps that are filled with the MOST complex jumping sections and platforming I've ever seen in video game history, and that comes in comparison to 2D scrollers\platforming and third person platformers. Not to mention the endless list of climb maps.

Mix a good platformer with a good combat gameplay, puzzles elements, a good maze and progressive map variety where each is unique and entirely different from previous, would create one masterpiece of a game. And then again, if you look at review of same Power Slave for PSX, which have the most classic elements of a platformer, you'll notice it have a better reputation than a Power Slave that was made for PC, which lacks of any platforming sections to begin with.
derek.shredded
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by derek.shredded »

a dbz world tournament arena doom map like this one:
Spoiler:
i feel like you could demake one of the arenas from one of the dbz games. this would go great as a deathmatch map for the dbz mod.
RailedRobin

Post by RailedRobin »

Working on a map/mod for Hexen where you will play as a plague doctor, walking around in a plague infected town. I will mainly use my own textures and such, and the weapons and flashlight in the screenshots are just stand ins. It will also not be all together true to the era/Hexen, but more like 17th century or such. At this time I'm mostly making things up as I go along, learning to do some pbr-stuff and coding and such.

Screenshots
Spoiler:
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

A hub based/metroidvania, special ability fueled shooter romp through brutalist, non-euclidian spaces... like, well, Control :D

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
cybie69

Post by cybie69 »

here's an idea for a mod: 32 wads. and each level yo get 1 set of weapons(full arsenal by the end of the level) thats made specifically for that level. Once you hit the exit you're back to your pistol 50 bullets and your fist with a new set of weapons to find and use all over again. Amps up the unpredictability aspect of doom.
r&r

Post by r&r »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Ummm... Captain Claw Doom? The doom really lacks of a propert platforming mods tbh, even though GZDoom now can support moving 3D floors. After all we still have Jump Maze mod, but it's not really a platformer.
A Captain Claw Mod would be nice.
A weapon mod would be good too
there is plenty sprites too https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_co ... ptainclaw/

It would be be fun able to play as
Captain Claw in Pirate Doom and Also ZBloody
sirudoom

Post by sirudoom »

me and a friend made this bike train city. it could be used in a quake level with jump pads and you could fly to the train tracks/streets and buildings.
maybe you could go inside some buildings
Morgul
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Morgul »

An automap mod that after you pick 75% of items and you kill 75% of the enemies, it gives you a computer map powerup (so you can see all the secrets too)
Morgul

Suggestion: Rewards Mod

Post by Morgul »

Hello everyone

I've played Doom EXP recently (https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-exp) and it does have a splendid feature; when you kill 75% enemies and you find 75% of the items on the map, the mod gives you a computer-map, so you can be rewarded about killing most of the enemies and finding most of the items.

Then, if you find all the secrets, all the items and you kill every monster on the map (basically when you 100% the map), the mod gives you a chest [it spawns on the player] that will randomize it's loot, both positive or negative (it can be various ammo types, health, armor, spheres, random enemies, weapons, etc)

Even more features could be added, something like the less damage you take until the end of the level, the more % the player will have to find more rare/good and with greater quantity loot inside the chest

A mod that does those three things (and maybe some more to add spice) would be great, because not many players care about 100% completition of a map, mainly because the base game doesn't give you any pratical reward when you do it, so this mod could be really useful too.

It would be even greater if the mod could be compatible with other mods items, weapons, monsters in the loot spawn, but I don't know if this is an hard task or less, but anyway, there could be a lot of ideas to improve my suggestion about this mod, to keep it both fun and balanced, maybe adding a customization menu would help greatly.

What do you guys and girls think about this ?

In my humble opinion it's a cool idea that can be developed and optimized greatly to add so much more sense and replayability going from the base game to the craziest of the mods.

Thank you in advice, let's see if we can cooperate (even if i'm not good at all on coding)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Suggestion: Rewards Mod

Post by Kinsie »

1.) This feature is already in QC:DE.
2.) What would you contribute to this hypothetical mod, beyond being the ideas guy?
Morgul

Re: Suggestion: Rewards Mod

Post by Morgul »

I will make the sprites (it's the only thing I can do) for everything that it needs it (the various chests and power ups [if there will be new ones])

Maybe an inventory to carry the various power-ups throughout the maps would be very cool too

And yeah, but I wanted to make this to maintainy compatibility with pratically every mod, so it doesn't matter if QC Mod has this feature included, becuse it's a standalone mod
TheGibusGuy

Post by TheGibusGuy »

Metroidvania Doom where you find mobility upgrades to progress.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

An idea I had for a Final Doomer weapon set, but could be used in any mod...a Candyland themed weaponset:
-The pistol is a Pez Dispenser
-The shotgun fires Hundreds And Thousands
-The chainsaw/melee is a Candy Cane, licked down into a lethally sharp point
-The other melee is a pair of boxing gloves made out of Gummi candy, aka "The Gummi Gauntlets"
-The BFG/rocket launcher shoots giant Jawbreakers

Return to “General”