ARACNOCIDE 2.7 (Updated 03/Sep/23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Helion

Re: Aracnocide [06/08/19] Hacx! Hexen! Heretic!

Post by Helion »

You can pick up the 100% health containers even when at 200% health and armor.

You can still pick up 1% armor and health bonuses when at 200% armor and health.

Blake Kliessen's upgrade for the pistols is sort of pointless, they just shoot faster and is slightly more accurate, but the mp40 is still miles ahead as a gun, why bother.
Same for the Browning Hi-Power pistol, it's not worth it, just spend the upgrade on the rifle to make it super awesome, or the deagle.

Also his revolver is pretty useless without upgrades, low dmg and reload speed, often by the time you can upgrade it, you already have better weapons, so why bother, the first upgrade will be spent on his rifle anyway.

Would be nice if you could upgrade the Explosive crossbow, it shoots really slow and even if you're under no threat of being hit or killed, you still take forever to kill bigger enemies.

The molotov cocktail's equip animation where he fiddles with the lighter is irritating, it either light up right away or he keeps trying to light it, it doesn't really add anything, would be nice if it wasn't a thing for consistency.

The flamethrower is really weak and I use it only because there's ammo lying around, it's sort of low dmg and reload takes forever, you use a lot of ammo for the dmg output you get.

The Kessler grenade launcher has a really boring reload animation, would be nice if it was better. xD

It seems that you can still pick up 1%health and armor bonuses when at 200% health and armor.

Marion Callahan is a really overpowered character, he has the superior weapons by far, I make it a point not to play him because his weapons just kill everything with no effort even with no upgrades.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Thanks for the feedback!

Consider what wasn't answered as "noted down for future revsions":
You can pick up the 100% health containers even when at 200% health and armor.

You can still pick up 1% armor and health bonuses when at 200% armor and health.
This is standard Doom behaviour as far as i know, but a CVAR wouldn't hurt.
Blake Kliessen's upgrade for the pistols is sort of pointless, they just shoot faster and is slightly more accurate, but the mp40 is still miles ahead as a gun, why bother.
Same for the Browning Hi-Power pistol, it's not worth it, just spend the upgrade on the rifle to make it super awesome, or the deagle.

Also his revolver is pretty useless without upgrades, low dmg and reload speed, often by the time you can upgrade it, you already have better weapons, so why bother, the first upgrade will be spent on his rifle anyway.
You see, here's why some weapons have upgrades: not only for the "cool" factor, but consider that you might not find a MP40 so soon, or a DN15. The berettas might not make up as a good gun, but consider their accuracy when dealing with hitscanners across the map, or even shooting switches far away.
Would be nice if you could upgrade the Explosive crossbow
A long gone prototype build from before Marion Callahan's appearance had upgrades for three weapons in the game that i am slowly considering bringing back.
Marion Callahan is a really overpowered character
Each character has methodically distributed statuses (not for projectile weapons, but we can fix that), but always remember Marion has the worst accuracy overall, which can make up for a more challenging campaign.

=)
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Chiming in to report a bug that's been in for a long time. The C-001 Nitrogen Cannon has an unresponsive kick state. Depending on when you try to use the quick kick after firing a shot, it doesn't register unless you hold the key down. It really grinds my gears since like Duke's Freezethrower you want to be able to shatter the icicles :P

Edit: Haven't tested the other games yet, but at least in Hexen, you can always pickup the green and blue armor equivalents, unlike vanilla Doom. Also, the Kessler Grenade Launcher's projectiles are not PNGs, they look funny with Hexen's palette.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Danke Schön Dabb! Will take some time today to address all these latest issues.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

I just wish you could scale the HUD so it don't take up so much of the screen.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Sure. I removed the HUD limitations "Forcescaled" so it might be better to personalize your HUD.

Also, i recently realized i ruined Stella's Rifle Upgrade in this update (thanks to my lazy copy pasta techniques). The rifle actually gets weaker when upgraded. A build with fixes and more content is coming soon.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Aracnocide [12/08/19] New Weapon and Fixes!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Sorry for double posting but i wanted to push this foward.

As a matter of fixing some of the latest issues and keep the game not broken until i push new builds, here's a new one, containing a new weapon upgrade for Derrick and some cool stuff!
Spoiler: detailed changelog
Have fun!
Helion

Post by Helion »

GAA1992 wrote:Sorry for double posting but i wanted to push this foward.

As a matter of fixing some of the latest issues and keep the game not broken until i push new builds, here's a new one, containing a new weapon upgrade for Derrick and some cool stuff!
Spoiler: detailed changelog
Have fun!
Cool, the flamethrower feels much better now, and I love the new sprites!
especially the fact that they change according to class, it's a very nice touch. =)

Btw, I noticed that when using the flamethrower, there seems to be some clutter with the flame sprite itself, if you hold the attack button and wave the flame around (easier to see if you use it on a wall), you can see what looks like a red dot (like a laser dot) from the flame sprite,
it's not super noticeable, but it's there.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

The new HUD scaling from removing the HUD limitations can use some work. The locations of the items on the HUD don't position themselves relative to the edges of the screen so different aspect ratios are broken and scaling the HUD to be smaller looks awful as the health bar will literally sit in the middle of the screen instead of the top. Even in the standard 16:9 aspect ratio the health bar at the top doesn't really sit at the edge of the screen so well. Using the "HUD preserves aspect ratio" setting for these cases doesn't help so much besides making sure the HUD doesn't look flattened by widescreen aspect ratio.
Spoiler:
Also, Blake's heavy machine gun stops spinning visually if you kick after using alt-fire to pre-spin up the gun. It will still fire as if it was spinning, though.

I still think the kick's melee damage is stronger than melee weapons but I'm sure that will be corrected when you buff melee weapons. I do hope the held melee weapons get a range increase besides damage so even if they're buffed to having equal damage to kicks, they're safer to use in comparison.
Last edited by Someone64 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenGuard95
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by GoldenGuard95 »

New weapon, eh? I hope i wont have to make an update for my vid too, mate. (AbsoluteN7 here btw) ;)
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Yeah i know hahaha

Sorry i didn't warned anyone. Also, besides the two new rifles from those past builds, there are two new weapons coming for the next one, one is an upgrade for Blake and the other is a upgrade for Marion, asude from some sprite revamps for Stella.

Maybe even another upgrade for her too! My creativity started to flow a bit.

EDIT: got Blake's minigun bug fixed for next update.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Aracnocide [15/08/19] 2 new guns/urgent fixing

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

So, i need to reupload this file once more. I just discovered that the "pickups that change appearance according to class" weren't giving the right amount of ammo, which broke things down very BAD.

But, to overcompensate that, i just added not one, but TWO new upgrades: Marion's shotgun now can be dual wieldable and Blake's BFG 2704 can turn into a BFG-9000 which instantly hits stuff! I also buffed melee weapons in both range and random damage chance (from X*(1,10) to X*(5,10), where X is the attack factor that changes with the class), but enough of cheap math.

Stella got some new sprites for weapons, kicks were nerfed once again, fixed Blake's minigun kick when spin and a few more bits.
Spoiler:
Have fun!
Helion

Post by Helion »

Okey, tested really quickly, interesting upgrade for Blake's bfg, but now there's no fancy boom when shooting which is a bit disappointing, also it doesn't actually spend ammo when shooting... obviously I understand that's part of the upgrade so pls don't fix. ;P

Stella's revolver seems to jump during the sprite reset animation after firing.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

When you talked about "spending ammo", i thought you were somehow mentioning the lack of a projectile, but then i realized it wasn't meant to have infinite ammo!

JESUS, it seems that everytime i fix a bug i open three more, goddamn.

I'll upload a fix soon.

EDIT: Fixed.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

The BFG Proto for Blake is WAY stronger in damage compared to the upgraded BFG 9000.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”