[slow WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - BETA public DEMO

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [slow WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - BETA public DEMO

Post by ramon.dexter »

Korell wrote:
This is interesting bug. I really dont know whats happening here. As I said - the conversation strings are defined in language lump, so this looks like some error with gzdoom itself. Hard for me to even replicate this error.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

John Stalvern wrote:I'm having some trouble getting this mod to work, and I wonder if anyone here could point me in the right direction...

I extracted the files from the .rar and loaded them in the latest gzdoom, and this is what happens:
Spoiler:
Any ideas what I am doing wrong here? Missing textures and objects everywhere, and I cannot open many doors :?
You must be running the gzdoom from some launcher. Dont use it - the pk3 autoloads strife1.wad.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

ramon.dexter wrote:
Korell wrote:
This is interesting bug. I really dont know whats happening here. As I said - the conversation strings are defined in language lump, so this looks like some error with gzdoom itself. Hard for me to even replicate this error.
I AM AN IDIOT :D

I left one czech string in the language lump! Fixed in next release.
John Stalvern

Post by John Stalvern »

ramon.dexter wrote:
You must be running the gzdoom from some launcher. Dont use it - the pk3 autoloads strife1.wad.
Yes, because the previous demo worked with Doom, I completely forgot this was a Strife mod :x Loading it with the proper wad made it work just fine.

Some feedback after playing through the available quests on "Survival" mode:

General Impressions
* This is a very beautiful mod. You have a real talent for creating appealing interior spaces that seem cozy/homely- I thought the same thing about the Wielder Sanctuary in Dark Prophecy, a map I enjoyed exploring. Khlumetz in particular has an interesting balance of charm and sadness.
* The historical information is very interesting.
* It is a bit strange that none of the women in the game talk.
* The Dead City is terrifying. Eating beef jerky and canned ham found in cannibal dens makes me feel uneasy :lol:

Gameplay
* Sometimes the reliance on rust browns and earth tones (understandable given the setting) makes it difficult to tell things apart. The stairway behind the Doctor's house in Khlumetz was for example difficult to find at first.
* The staff blaster seems very inaccurate, blasting wildly around foes who are right in front of you at times. Is this intentional?

Bugs
* This clime-able wall allows the player to become stuck, or access views I think were unintended.

https://imgur.com/a/NntnUmf

https://imgur.com/s3K6inF

https://imgur.com/iVl2RgU

* The cannibals in the underground bunker where the spare parts are found do not activate properly. They run in place as if stuck, but do not make sounds or attack.

https://imgur.com/C4yGWB5

https://imgur.com/RLFT3LE
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

John Stalvern wrote: * The Dead City is terrifying. Eating beef jerky and canned ham found in cannibal dens makes me feel uneasy :lol:
Teehee, what you think it is? :)
John Stalvern wrote: Gameplay
* Sometimes the reliance on rust browns and earth tones (understandable given the setting) makes it difficult to tell things apart. The stairway behind the Doctor's house in Khlumetz was for example difficult to find at first.
Yeah, the theme of this area is "sandy wasteland", so the earth tones are intentional. C'mon, sometimes I got real problem finding the way in real life, so this is just something to make things truly realistic :)
John Stalvern wrote: * The staff blaster seems very inaccurate, blasting wildly around foes who are right in front of you at times. Is this intentional?
Well, I used the strife functions and modified them for my prurpose. So I should add some basic training course in the main base so player gains samo basic accuracy. Yup, added to TO-DO list.
John Stalvern wrote: Bugs
* This clime-able wall allows the player to become stuck, or access views I think were unintended.

https://imgur.com/a/NntnUmf

https://imgur.com/s3K6inF

https://imgur.com/iVl2RgU

* The cannibals in the underground bunker where the spare parts are found do not activate properly. They run in place as if stuck, but do not make sounds or attack.

https://imgur.com/C4yGWB5

https://imgur.com/RLFT3LE
Thanks for this feedback, I have to tune the city a little bit. I forgot I designed it without the climbing. In fact, the city is the oldest part of the mod.

So, thanks for the feedback.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

This became amazing! I saw this mod for the first time long ago and it was more like a concept. Now it is playable and very nice-looking RPG game.
I wait for the next update which will fix text strings, and try this.
PS I should mention that performing multiple alt-shots (those bouncing off walls) from NailGun leads to a massive FPS drop.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Slowly coming back to this. The weather outside is bad, workload is not that heavy as was in summer, so I got more spare time. Also, I'm starting to be in the mood to make something nice. I started with importing the last version of Hellscape navigator with some new changes that I proposed to m8f and he agreed to include. So, the location info and compass will be fully zscript driven, so another ACS script gone for good. Then I finally (FINALLY!!!) finished the upgraded version of ranger staff. Now, it has two fire modes, switched by altfire, plus the user1 knife melee attack. Now it looks how I imagined it should look, so I'm finally satisfied with that and can focus on other things. While I was bored on the last two weekends, I started improving maps for the upcoming episode 1. Well, the maps are big (and not feeling like remaking them again), so it will be lots of work. I can say the city that will serve as a hub for the first episode is mostly finished. From the mappinf side. Now the scripting and writing dialogues, which takes most of the time needed. So, I really cannot say anything about release date. Only, when it's done, it's done. Buut, I will update you.

Mere_Duke wrote:This became amazing! I saw this mod for the first time long ago and it was more like a concept. Now it is playable and very nice-looking RPG game.
I wait for the next update which will fix text strings, and try this.
PS I should mention that performing multiple alt-shots (those bouncing off walls) from NailGun leads to a massive FPS drop.
Yeah, started just like a concept of sorts, then evolved into fully fledged game. I just wish I know more coding, so I could make it even better.
The nailgun altfire was removed. It basically made no sense, and FPS drop was massive.
Procket12

Post by Procket12 »

Post Apocalyptic Bohemia looks a lot like the American Southwest.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I'm sure Bohemia has some deserts or areas being desertified. At this moment we need more dedicated styles and buildings. It's gonna be both exotic and educating. A Win-win.
LOLANONIMUS

Post by LOLANONIMUS »

Hello, can you translate the game into Spanish or would you have a language option?
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Wow, this looks amazing! Had a walk around and it looks right up my alley. Unfortunately, for some reason, none of my text works. I get what looks like raw string identifiers or something. Here is a screenshot:
https://i.imgur.com/ljs5N6W.png

Any ideas on how to fix this? I really want to give this a try! :)

EDIT: Just had a thought: does the localization work by detecting you OS language? I'm not running an English version of Windows, if that helps diagnose the problem. Thanks again!

YET ANOTHER EDIT: Fixed it!!! For others with the same issue, type "language enu" in the console :D
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

gennoveus: Yep, gzdoom defaults its langugae according to OS language. I've defaulted english.

lolanonimus: My knowledge of spanish is nearing zero, so...no spanish translation.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Captain J wrote:I'm sure Bohemia has some deserts or areas being desertified. At this moment we need more dedicated styles and buildings. It's gonna be both exotic and educating. A Win-win.
Well, the SoA lore says that the war was terrible. So terrible, that it damaged the worlds climate.

Speaking of real world, there are none deserts in czechia and moravia. We got lots of woods, forests, artifial lakes, but no deserts. Our part of europe lacks deserts in general.
BoJustBo

Post by BoJustBo »

I'm getting a lot of missing textures when I try to play this, does it require some specific sourceport. Tried it on GZDOOM 3.2.5 where it wouldn't even start as well as GZDOOM 3.6.0 which had the missing textures problem.
Or is it a load order type thing? I always play by just dragging all the files onto the GZDOOM executable but I've heard some mods don't like that.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

BoJustBo wrote:I'm getting a lot of missing textures when I try to play this, does it require some specific sourceport. Tried it on GZDOOM 3.2.5 where it wouldn't even start as well as GZDOOM 3.6.0 which had the missing textures problem.
Or is it a load order type thing? I always play by just dragging all the files onto the GZDOOM executable but I've heard some mods don't like that.
Not at all. You're probably running it with Doom2 or the Ultimate Doom wad. It's actually designed to run with the Strife.wad. Make sure you have it in your Gzdoom folder, it should run automatically with the other pk3s. If it is asking for you to pick a supporting IWAD, you've done something wrong.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”