[??-g20b6395cf]Use after free with HUDMessages and DoomRPG

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Edward-san

[??-g20b6395cf]Use after free with HUDMessages and DoomRPG

Post by Edward-san »

Yes, it's the same bug as here, as apparently not everything is fixed. I managed to make gzdoom crash again with a more recent build. See this report from the address sanitizer:
Spoiler:
How to reproduce this (happens by trial and error): load the same save file from the other bug report, then bind two keys to 'mdk' and 'summon cyberdemon', then press the key for 'mdk', then after a few moments (like half a second) press the key for 'summon cyberdemon', then again, after a few moments, 'mdk' and repeat. It will crash in a way or in another.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [??-g20b6395cf]Use after free with HUDMessages and DoomR

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think I found it now. The detaching code was all fine and working, the problem was that the ticker loop for the messages didn't call it when a message had expired, but instead just unlinked the message, which in the middle of a garbage collection would cause all the same problems as before.

You really need a mod going overboard with HUD messages to trigger this, though.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”