[v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [v1.0.0] ARGENT - The Streamlined Doom 4 Mod

Post by YasuoProjectX »

Captain J wrote:
YasuoProjectX wrote:If it is true?, does this work on Custom Boss Monsters to drop Chaingun and Gauss?
Yes it is. Cyberdemon Drops Gauss Cannon and SMM Drops Chaingun... Two of them. Not sure if it was intentional.
Really? i used Merciles Monster Pack but anyways Tchernobog and Motherdemon (as Cyberdemon and SMM) dint drops Chaingun and Gauss for some reason
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Then i guess that Particular monster pack you loaded together overwrote the certain monster actors from ARGENT.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Hey, I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to put the D4T weapon sprites into this mod?
GRUARRR

Post by GRUARRR »

I really like your mod. Good work!
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Not sure if anyone besides me actually plays Argent anymore; but since Xaser has mostly gone to sleep on it these days, I decided to add in a couple of tweaks for several annoyances I have with playing it:
  • The biggest change; I added in Randomspawners. :shock:
  • So, a Plasma Rifle drop can now spawn either a Gauss Cannon or a Plasma Rifle with 50/50 chance. I wouldn't say a Gauss is so strong that it should only be dropped by Cybie. Its powerful, but its slow RoF puts it into an entirely different niche to the Plasma; especially with the Mods (No matter if you have Siege Mode or Sniper Mode, the Gauss is a long range weapon at heart, wheras the plasma is a close-combat weapon).
  • A HMG drop has about a 10% chance to be a Chaingun instead. I made this much lower because of Chaingunners. If a map's rolling in them, you'll still grab one fairly quickly, not much can be done about it, but honestly its not hugely better than the HMG anyway. Both Scope/Accelerator and Micromissles make the HMG a good weapon in many situations; whereas the Chaingun provides fantastic Mob-Control in exchange for All Ze Bullets.
  • A Rocket-Box has a slim chance (about 6%) to be a Mod-Kit instead. Some maps just flat out NEVER give you backpacks. Like ever. So this at least gives you a slight chance of having some by the time an RL is around.

Also a couple of balance changes:
  • I made the basic shottie every so slightly stronger (+1 pellet) so you can more reliably hose down Imps in one shot.
  • Made explosive shells slightly stronger (+10 DMG) as they're fairly inferior to triple-shot for the shotgun besides, you know, exploding.
  • I made the spin-up on the Minigun Turret Mode take about 4 extra tics. As it stands, there is very little reason to take the spin-up motor over the turret mode; as turret mode spins up extremely quickly anyways (lol).
  • You start with 1 Mod-Kit. Again, for those maps that withhold spawns of them, at least you can mod 1 thing of your choice, and it might be a tough call.
  • Bullets Capacity has been doubled from 200/400 to 400/800. In D2016, there are various ways to increase or ignore ammo, and those are kinda required make the Chaingun truly viable. As we're obviously not getting those in Argent, this is a stopgap measure. Because Argent normally uses normal Doom Bullets and its impossible to change the capacity of those (to my knowledge), I've done this via making a new Actor called ArgBullet, which the HMG and Chaingun now use.
  • FOREVER DEFILED Xaser's meticulous and pure ACS by adding in filthy DECORATE. ACS is for clever people and I'm not one of those.

I've called this fork of his version 1.0.1E to differenciate it. Hopefully Xaser won't mind me putting this here; but if you do, let me know and I'll take it down.
Get it from MEGA here: https://mega.nz/#!cQE3FChQ!paor7OaZSSR4 ... o5gBDX8E9E

Obviously, as usual; nothing is mine besides a few minor code changes. Credits, Joy, and Much Love to everyone involved in its production and not myself please! :D
Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alptraum »

I made a video which includes your mod.

Firebert

Post by Firebert »

I love this mod and its unfortunate its not been updated in a while, i hope someone can make support for fullscreen statusbar.
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Hey there..nice mod ..
If anyone is interested I uploaded a short video on my channel..

https://youtu.be/1HUadtPi2CE
TheHit_61x

Post by TheHit_61x »

How can i get a backpack to increase my ammo count? I get the weapons mod but i cant seem to find an option to use r find a back pack anywhere. thanks for the help.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

TheHit_61x wrote:How can i get a backpack to increase my ammo count? I get the weapons mod but i cant seem to find an option to use r find a back pack anywhere. thanks for the help.
Press your 'use mod' button with any weapon equipped, then press your mapped 'reload' button to switch pages, and ammo pack will be an option. For me, this is Q to open the mod menu, and then R to switch pages. You can change the keys in the mod options menu, so check if they've been mapped to a button.
TheHit_61x

Post by TheHit_61x »

eharper256 wrote:
TheHit_61x wrote:How can i get a backpack to increase my ammo count? I get the weapons mod but i cant seem to find an option to use r find a back pack anywhere. thanks for the help.
Press your 'use mod' button with any weapon equipped, then press your mapped 'reload' button to switch pages, and ammo pack will be an option. For me, this is Q to open the mod menu, and then R to switch pages. You can change the keys in the mod options menu, so check if they've been mapped to a button.

Thanks so much, I actually found out how to do it right after I posted about it :lol: I tried your fork and i have to say that i enjoy it alot. the increased ammo on the HMG and the extra weapon mods i get are a good addition.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

TheHit_61x wrote:Thanks so much, I actually found out how to do it right after I posted about it :lol: I tried your fork and i have to say that i enjoy it alot. the increased ammo on the HMG and the extra weapon mods i get are a good addition.
Glad you like it! Forking Argent and the Hi-Def Fluids mod were just the start of the madness that would result in me creating Walpurgis. :lol:
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

I'm really, really sorry for bumping a two year old thread for a mod that isn't being worked on anymore, but I'm having trouble getting this to run with BTSX E2 and was wondering if a kind soul could please help me get it to work?

The issue is thus: for most of the replaced weapons (fist, chainsaw, shotgun, chaingun, plasma gun, and bfg), the 'idle' sprites are using the default doom weapon sprites instead of this mod's new sprites until you fire it, then it rapidly switches to the correct new sprites before switching back to the default sprites. Completely new weapons otherwise appear to work fine.

I have latest GZDoom, latest BTSX E2 release, and latest Argent release. The mod works fine on other map sets, so it has to be something with BTSX. I'm afraid one of the two mods might have to be altered to correct it, but maybe this is a known bug that someone in the know already has a solution for. Thanks in advance for help and sorry again for the bump!
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

ActionAlligator wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:58 pm The issue is thus: for most of the replaced weapons (fist, chainsaw, shotgun, chaingun, plasma gun, and bfg), the 'idle' sprites are using the default doom weapon sprites instead of this mod's new sprites until you fire it, then it rapidly switches to the correct new sprites before switching back to the default sprites. Completely new weapons otherwise appear to work fine.
Sounds like you probably just need to change your load order. I just gave it a spin myself using ZDL 3.1.1, xa-argen_1.0.0, and GZDoom 4.8.2 and there doesn't seem to be any apparent glitches, so try loading it as follows:

- btsx_e2a.wad
- btsx_e2b.wad
- btsx_e2.deh
- xa-argen_1.0.0.pk3

Hope this helps!
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

omg lol... I can't believe I made such a rookie mistake... thx so much man, that fixed it! I was basically a little confused by how Doom Launcher does load order (I understood it as 'load priority' rather than 'load order'; thought the mod on top was loaded last, doh) and the funny thing is that earlier I was going to swap the order anyways in case I was wrong and test if that fixed it, but got distracted by something else and totally forgot!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”