Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Esrael
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Esrael »

Acoustics seems to be a field that's pretty well translated in the Finnish language. I could ask some of the people I know that graduated as masters of science in acoustics to help out, but in the mean time, does anybody know how to actually use the reverb environment editor? :?

I fired up MAP01: Entryway, created a couple of new environments using existing environments as base, turned on environment testing, tried adjusting the different settings, but I heard no difference in the reverb, no matter what adjustments I made. I also tried saving the environments, and that did nothing either.

Is the editor supposed to give some sort of confirmation message upon a successful save? Because when I tried to give it a test file name, told it to save changes on my new environment and tried to press save, there was no confirmation message of any sorts. I tested, whether any changes happened in the reverb, and nope. Any help? :D
XxMiltenXx
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by XxMiltenXx »

You will have to enable "Test Environment" in the "Reverb environment editor" in order to hear the reverb you selected under "Select Environment".

E.g. under Select Envrionment select "(22, 0) Underwater", hit enter and make sure "Test Environment" is "On" and then you should be able to hear the selected reverb within the game.

However, this is just for testing purposes and creating new reverbs. In order to permanently use reverb in levels, you'd have to edit the level itself and place a SoundEnvironment things and select the corresponding reverb number within said level. This reverb will be then used globally in the whole level. There are also ways to make them seperate, per certain sections on the level, but I currently do not remember how that worked.

PS: Also make sure that your EFX are enabled: "Options" -> "Sound Options" -> "Advanced Sound Options" -> "OpenAL Options" -> "Enable EFX" = On
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The most recent text additions to the engine strings sheet still need translations for Italian, French, Korean and Portuguese.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Graf Zahl wrote: EDIT: Looking at some German-language websites discussing the technical side of reverb, they are full of English technical terms which makes me believe that translating the editor itself may be counterproductive. This may be of use for non-Latin-script languages, but I think the rest better leave the red-tinted block alone.
In Malay language, most of the audio jargon is left untranslated and we simply use english. So that's perfectly normal I think. :mrgreen:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

been editing around the Game String Spreadsheet. Can't believe there are rather few things i translated with bland and stale taste... :P
Negostrike
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Negostrike »

Just done translating the new audio mambojambo to Portuguese.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Thanks.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Reverb editor and such have been translated to French, sorta, but I lack any experience in that field so help is appreciated.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Like I said in the sheet, if you are unsure, better leave it empty. A translation that's technically improper will do more damage here than leaving everything in English.
I deliberately skipped that block for the German text.
Triple_sSs

Post by Triple_sSs »

Saluton!
Want you to know that I'm willing to help out with the Esperanto translation. Though I only just started learning it, I find it to be an interesting language and I'm already getting some basics down. Think I'd be cool to play Doom in the language as well! Was planning to focus on Doom 1&2 for now but could consider the other games sometime as well.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

TBH, if you only just started learning it, are you certain you are up to the task of translating the text? I appreciate the offer but this really isn't something for a beginner.
If you still want to go ahead, please request access to the tables through Google Docs.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Problem with constructed languages like Esperanto is that, well, they do not have native speakers at all.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Correct, but they have less experienced and more experienced speakers.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I think with something like Esperanto, my guiding principle is that no one needs it. Nice to do it if you can simply because you can but every Esperanto speaker also speaks another language. So, if that language is covered, they don't need an Esperanto translation before they can understand what's being said.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

What if that "other language" is Arabic, or Hebrew or something else with a complex script that cannot be represented with a simplistic text output system... :twisted:

(You are correct, of course, it's not really needed, and it's far too incomplete anyway to be useful.)

Return to “Developer Blog”