Ubuntu 18.04 GZDoom Software Slowdown

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
chowbar

Ubuntu 18.04 GZDoom Software Slowdown

Post by chowbar »

Hey guys, recently switched from Windows to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and I’m getting sub 60 FPS performance in E1M1 with the software renderer. I’ve sudo apt updated and upgraded so I think my graphics drivers are up to date. When I had windows I never got less than 60 FPS in E1M1 in software mode.

Running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with an Intel UHD 620 and an i3-8130U running GZDoom fullscreen 1080p while plugged in. Its not a screamer laptop but it never ran this poorly with windows. Is there anything I can do to prove performance? I presume Intel’s lazy and that they’ve been neglecting their open source drivers.
_mental_

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 GZDoom Software Slowdown

Post by _mental_ »

Are you sure that you are using exactly the same settings as on Windows?
There are two software renderers with two color depths each. Bunch of other settings may affect performance as well.
Did you install GZDoom from package or build it yourself?
chowbar

Post by chowbar »

Yup, Doom Software Renderer at 1920x1080 default software settings.
I installed the deb package and just loaded that.

Weird thing is that ZDoom 2.8.1 from the deb package runs totally fine. No FPS drops, 60 fps solid on E1M1. The software renderers can’t be that different right?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

They surely can. ZDoom 2.8.1's software renderer does not use any hardware acceleration on Linux, while modern GZDoom draws all 2D content using OpenGL.

It may be that your system uses software fallback for OpenGL and that is slow.
chowbar

Post by chowbar »

Ah thanks for the explanation Graf. Anything I can do to improve performance or am I pretty much toast? Hardware accelerated rendering runs fine, but I do still like using GZDooms software mode for vanilla stuff. PrBoom doesn’t run super great on this system, and I don’t want to keep using ZDoom 2.8.1 as my main port.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

First, post a GZDoom startup log. It may contain some useful info.
chowbar

Post by chowbar »

Yup here's the startup log
Hope this helps
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-08-04 03-41-34.png
Last edited by chowbar on Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Are you sure you were using the same version on windows? Try 'vid_rendermode 0' (8 bit).
chowbar

Post by chowbar »

drfrag wrote:Are you sure you were using the same version on windows? Try 'vid_rendermode 0' (8 bit).
Thanks for the suggestion, but I just confirmed that I was using 8 bit mode.
Yeah I’m stumped, getting like 45-50 FPS on E1M1 which is puzzling the heck out of me.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I find surprising that the hardware renderer runs fine. Then try LZDoom, still has the pure software renderer.
chowbar

Post by chowbar »

drfrag wrote:I find surprising that the hardware renderer runs fine. Then try LZDoom, still has the pure software renderer.
Thanks for the suggesting LZDoom drfrag.
I just loaded up E1M1 with LZDoom and it ran totally fine with the software renderer and hardware renderer.
Still totally stumped here guys, is there any software rendering options in GZDoom I should tweak? Any other suggestions?

Oh and FWIW, I just changed LZDoom to fullscreen at 1080p and I left the default software and hardware rendering options.

Return to “Technical Issues”