Reincarnation of Evil - Remaking Doom 3/4 Content in 2

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Reincarnation of Evil - Remaking Doom 3/4 Content in 2

Post by NeuralStunner »

XLightningStormL wrote:at this point your better of using community assets, instead of getting everything redone, you're going to have to get what you have available to you, otherwise this resource pack will be stagnant in two years
I dunno, if one is "just" going to reuse assets*, it starts to defeat the purpose of making something new. If everyone simply copies from one another the entire modding community is going to be stagnant in two years. (Not just talking out my ass here. I've practically never reused something in a mod without further editing it myself.)

You could also assume that other modders are entirely aware of a highly visible, very popular project and are still looking for assets from elsewhere because existing ones don't suit their needs. (Even if that need is as simple as "I don't want to just reuse stuff from another popular mod". Again, it's an entirely valid requirement.)

* And yes, folks, code is an asset too. This was brought up before.

Before anyone assumes I'm just soapboxing, Ghastly and I were actively discussing this, and he wanted me to back up this point.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

What he said, number one. Number two, the project is to try to remake these things in a way that fits in with the original Doom's powerups, monsters and things. If I used MetaDoom's Hologram like was suggested, I wouldn't have the current Hologram, which fits in quite nicely. So I'm trying not to cannibalize other mods to fill out this project if I can help it.

That said, I don't have a huge issue with using that Megahealth, but I think it needs a little work. I tried it out in-game, and it looks too static. If it had some animation like the lights in the middle pulsing I think it would fit in better. I also am not quite sure who to credit for that sprite.

Also, thanks! The boots and adrenaline work perfectly!
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

yeet
Last edited by XLightningStormL on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Hope i'm not making an useless bump, but since this is a thread about Doom modding content from the series' later games, are there going to be plans for Eternal?
So far, we only got a reveal trailer, but this QuakeCon, we might see a few more things, at least.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Whoops, sorry for the delayed response. Been busy with work and other stuff. Yeah, I plan to add the truly new stuff from Eternal as well. I'll wait to see the full game itself before I add anything to the list though.

Speaking of adding things to the list, not sure why it was missing for so long, but added the Artifact from RoE to the list. Leaning towards just an inventory-stored timefreeze powerup for the Doom 2-style powerup, but as usual when I do something like that I'll include another version that's more true to the original. The reason for including two versions like that is the first "official" version for the project is something intended to work fine alongside Doom 2's own assets and the other RoE assets, and a more true-to-original Artifact would be pretty redundant with the Berserk. But I'll include a more true-to-original version as well for people completely redoing the item lineup.

On another note, I hate the name Artifact for it, since it's so generic and the word became a catch-all for powerups in Heretic and Quake. Both Doom wikis say it's also referred to as the Bloodstone, but is it ever called that in-game? EDIT: It's apparently called that in several places in the source code.

Also, Megahealth is done.
Faceman2000

Post by Faceman2000 »

I made some Bruiser sprites from Eriance's Cybruiser a while ago, and you guys are welcome to them. I wanted to keep its aesthetic in-line with the original monsters, so I don't know if it's true enough to the original design for you guys. I found the television sprites on here years ago and don't know who made them, and I can't find the original post anymore. The death is modified from an alternate Cybruiser death in the Finished deaths collection from however long ago.

I'm too new to private message or post images, but here's a link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JGOVQM ... sp=sharing
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

That looks pretty cool! Thanks!

Also, marked the grenade box, adrenaline and lateral thrusters as unfinished again, as the original author doesn't want them used here anymore.
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

Don't count on that too much, you'll be able to use the sprites again when I release the Resurrected Nightmare "final public" demo for Doom's 25th anniversary.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

XLightningStormL wrote:Don't count on that too much, you'll be able to use the sprites again when I release the Resurrected Nightmare "final public" demo for Doom's 25th anniversary.
Well... we're kinda past that day.

Also, just for curiousity, would anyone be interested in making a classic Doom version of the zombie slayer?
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

whatup876 wrote:Also, just for curiousity, would anyone be interested in making a classic Doom version of the zombie slayer?
There's certainly room for it in the community, as a skin and/or monster.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

We finally got new Eternal footage so i guess that could be my excuse to bump this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPp0vZgN-F0
I noticed the RL's design changed a bit, making me wonder how this game's inflence for classic Doom mod stuff is going to be.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

whatup876 wrote:I noticed the RL's design changed a bit, making me wonder how this game's inflence for classic Doom mod stuff is going to be.
For this project, I'm not really going to be changing much in the way of classic resources, especially just visual changes. I already have enough on my plate trying to get the new stuff. The exception is the Chaingun, which behaves really differently between 2, 3 and 4, and Doom 4's Heavy Assault Rifle behaving really similarly to Doom 2's Chaingun leaves more justification for adding a more Doom 4 styled Chaingun.

Liking how Eternal looks so far, and I'm glad we see how the Extra Life powerup works. Was wondering how I would implement a life system a la Wolfenstein 3D, but looks like I don't have to. Not adding anything to the content list in the first post, though, until the game's release.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

I have an 76ish % finished Cherub and 80s percent finished Doom 3 style Imp I made. I couldn't get the imp to climb walls but he does leap and shoot fire balls and has full sounds. Cherub has full sounds and dashes the player with claw attacks rapidly but he sometimes "freezes" when close. Interested in helping finish these up?I need them for my Doom mod too so it helps us both.
DeltaDoom

Post by DeltaDoom »

https://imgur.com/0Qh9mCW

These any good? I imagine he's crawling around at mancubus speed.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Doom's engine doesn't typically work well with really small monsters (having enough trouble with that with the Trite so far, honestly, with the player able to run straight over them with any kind of elevation), so it would probably work better as a flying monster, Lost Soul style.

Return to “Resources”