Duke Nuke 3D v10b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Valherran

Re: Duke Nuke 3D v10b

Post by Valherran »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
Crudux Cruo wrote:There's a lot to love, however i really would love it more if there were less weapons or there were a inventory weight system or something to where I had to switch out weapons. its just too much to juggle.
Something I'm absolutely against. To be honest, I'd like more weapons, and altfire for some of them, like incenerator to have flamethrower-like attack.

If you really have problem "juggle" with different weapons, just remember their key location, or simply drop them from inventory. You can even bind drop weapon button from control options.
That doesn't stop you from picking the weapon back up. And having to keep dropping it for the sake of ease of access of you arsenal is counter-productive.

I have this same issue here as well as HXRTC, no more than 3 weapons should occupy a slot. If a MOD is gonna have more than like 30 weapons then an option to press a key to pick up items should be implemented.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Valherran wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
Crudux Cruo wrote:There's a lot to love, however i really would love it more if there were less weapons or there were a inventory weight system or something to where I had to switch out weapons. its just too much to juggle.
Something I'm absolutely against. To be honest, I'd like more weapons, and altfire for some of them, like incenerator to have flamethrower-like attack.

If you really have problem "juggle" with different weapons, just remember their key location, or simply drop them from inventory. You can even bind drop weapon button from control options.
That doesn't stop you from picking the weapon back up. And having to keep dropping it for the sake of ease of access of you arsenal is counter-productive.

I have this same issue here as well as HXRTC, no more than 3 weapons should occupy a slot. If a MOD is gonna have more than like 30 weapons then an option to press a key to pick up items should be implemented.
Having less weapons is counter-productive by nature, more mature gamers get used to have lots of guns attached to single button since hl series, they just don't use what they don't want. The primary reason why DNF was hated is 3 weapon carry limit, I don't really wish for this mod to make the same mistakes. Having such feature being enforced will agitate the rest of players.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

I can completely understand not wanting a weapon limit system, but to be honest, it is way oversaturated. Three different pistol types with two different dual wields, four separate and situational shotguns on the same button, two chaingun variants and two ripper variants as well as a separate laser chaingun on another button, and a pulsethrower that just acts as a similar function to the laser chaingun for all intents and purposes instead of some unique weapon all of its own means that once you've got a lot of weapons, you have to scroll through them individually unless you have a Weapon Menu mod of some sort. Half-Life at least had the selection menu to bypass that problem. I don't want weapon limits myself, but fitting every Duke Nukem weapon reference possible and then a bunch of original weapons is just a bit much of a clusterfuck to manage when you're already fighting enemies that are tougher and deadlier than the Doom roster by default. Dropping weapons also isn't much of a solution as stated, as now the drop spot is an avoid zone and more enemies might drop the same gun anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/4UKGidj.png
I may like the mod, but adding more weapons onto this would just be pointlessly excessive when you could make more out of less by simply downsizing the arsenal and using alt-fires to do some of the same ideas, or spawners and config options to let players limit/expand things at their leisure (the same idea could be applied to a few of the overpowered-as-hell enemy variants that randomly spawn in). This isn't about "mature gamers", it's about fundamental shooter design - design that even DN3D solidly adhered to by one weapon per key besides the Shrinker / Microwave Expander, and Doom only broke for the Chainsaw / Fist and Super Shotgun / Shotgun. Half-Life 2 was originally intended to have upwards to twice the weapons the final version had, and they all got cut for cluttering up the inventory for no good reason with gimmicks and stat-tweaked equivalents that got replaced, and Half-Life didn't give me a shotgun, a faster-shooting shotgun with a reload, a double-barreled shotgun, and an explosive shotgun; it gave me a shotgun with a double-barrel alt-fire. And it killed shit just fine.

Ultimately it is Ramon's mod, and Ramon can say it's their way or the highway. But there's a point where it stops playing like DN3D on the Doom engine and more like one of those weird knockoff mods that throw everything and the kitchen sink plus the drain pipes at a wall as you watch everything fall apart at the seams because nothing works or meshes together for a cohesive project anymore. The weapons already clash enough as is, what with all the original DN3D weapons having their original low-quality sounds next to the excess of new guns using UT, DNF and other various game sounds that don't match alongside weird graphically clashing bits like the Doom 3 chaingun or the odd-looking Deagle.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Having less weapons is counter-productive by nature, more mature gamers get used to have lots of guns attached to single button since hl series, they just don't use what they don't want. The primary reason why DNF was hated is 3 weapon carry limit, I don't really wish for this mod to make the same mistakes. Having such feature being enforced will agitate the rest of players.
Comparing this to DNF is very poor. I agree that game's weapon system was crap (along with many other things), but there's a difference between having 3 and the classic 11. This MOD has 27 weapons, some of which either under perform or have little difference from another, and are stacked too much in some weapon slots. Unlike Half-Life, this MOD doesn't use it's weapon hud selection system, you have to cycle through weapons one at a time. Cycling takes time due to playing weapon pull animations. 2-3 seconds to cycle through 4-6 weapons in the same slot is way too long of an opening for something bad to happen to you in the middle of combat.
Gamerwarrior117

Post by Gamerwarrior117 »

Mr.Ramon wrote:

A Doom mod that replaces all the weapons, enemies and items of the classic doom to that of the Duke Nukem 3D World Tour, adding new aliens and weapons to give more variety to the classic gameplay.

Download: https://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-3 ... em-3d-v101

Download the Duke Nukem 3D World Tour music package: https://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-3 ... ull-musics

Play Information

- Title : Duke Nukem 3D (Version 10b)
- Filename : DukeNukem3D_v10b.pk3
- Date Finished : July 26, 2019
- Author : DonRamon
- E-Mail : lramonportugal@gmail.com
- Source port : Zandronum / ZDoom / GZDoom
- Maps : None
- Single Player : Yes
- Cooperative 2-4 Player : Yes
- Deathmatch : No
- Difficulty Settings : Yes
- New Sounds : Yes
- New Music : No
- New Graphics : Yes
- Enemies Replaced : Yes
- Other Game Styles : Yes
- Available for GZDoom Builder : Yes

Bestiary
Spoiler:
Weapons
Spoiler:
Pictures
Spoiler:
Credits
Spoiler:
interesting mod, but i am trying to auto load on the source port engine and i can't. is there a way to have it auto load the second time? cause i already have an auto load for doom complete from wadsmoosh, but will it let me auto load twice for gzdoom? Also, can you add the music in the add on? what about having the episodes and the maps?
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

W-whoa! I can't describe how i happy to see this mod again with new stuff!
Before i saw only "Duke Nukem 3D Weapons & Monsters V6" from near of 2016 and there was many problems (invisible laser beams on trip-mines (in several version trip-mines are away btw), shirnker that doesn't shrink enemies, poor balance and many to go).
And now we have this. Superior comeback of this mod with version "10B". And, oh my goodness, there is so many new enemies and monsters! Also old bugs and problems is solved!
Thank you, Mr.Ramon. Thank you very much.
Now i can grab that mod, that replace all textures with DN3D's one (idk this mod is dead or still developing) and go to the total kick ass!
Maybe we can't have HRP textures and models (i saw one project a while ago, but author don't want to port all of this stuff to PC version of GZDoom for some reason), but we have many new features, that are insanely good!
Come get some, brothers and sisters!
MaxRideWizardLord

RikohZX wrote:I can completely understand not wanting a weapon limit system, but to be honest, it is way oversaturated. Three different pistol types with two different dual wields, four separate and situational shotguns on the same button, two chaingun variants and two ripper variants as well as a separate laser chaingun on another button, and a pulsethrower that just acts as a similar function to the laser chaingun for all intents and purposes instead of some unique weapon all of its own means that once you've got a lot of weapons, you have to scroll through them individually unless you have a Weapon Menu mod of some sort. Half-Life at least had the selection menu to bypass that problem. I don't want weapon limits myself, but fitting every Duke Nukem weapon reference possible and then a bunch of original weapons is just a bit much of a clusterfuck to manage when you're already fighting enemies that are tougher and deadlier than the Doom roster by default. Dropping weapons also isn't much of a solution as stated, as now the drop spot is an avoid zone and more enemies might drop the same gun anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/4UKGidj.png
I may like the mod, but adding more weapons onto this would just be pointlessly excessive when you could make more out of less by simply downsizing the arsenal and using alt-fires to do some of the same ideas, or spawners and config options to let players limit/expand things at their leisure (the same idea could be applied to a few of the overpowered-as-hell enemy variants that randomly spawn in). This isn't about "mature gamers", it's about fundamental shooter design - design that even DN3D solidly adhered to by one weapon per key besides the Shrinker / Microwave Expander, and Doom only broke for the Chainsaw / Fist and Super Shotgun / Shotgun. Half-Life 2 was originally intended to have upwards to twice the weapons the final version had, and they all got cut for cluttering up the inventory for no good reason with gimmicks and stat-tweaked equivalents that got replaced, and Half-Life didn't give me a shotgun, a faster-shooting shotgun with a reload, a double-barreled shotgun, and an explosive shotgun; it gave me a shotgun with a double-barrel alt-fire. And it killed shit just fine.

Ultimately it is Ramon's mod, and Ramon can say it's their way or the highway. But there's a point where it stops playing like DN3D on the Doom engine and more like one of those weird knockoff mods that throw everything and the kitchen sink plus the drain pipes at a wall as you watch everything fall apart at the seams because nothing works or meshes together for a cohesive project anymore. The weapons already clash enough as is, what with all the original DN3D weapons having their original low-quality sounds next to the excess of new guns using UT, DNF and other various game sounds that don't match alongside weird graphically clashing bits like the Doom 3 chaingun or the odd-looking Deagle.
For someone who constantly play mods like Aeons of Death, Guncaster and the likes, I get used to switch between weapons really easy. I really love when my arsenal isn't just consist of "necessary weapons", but weapons of all types and choices that I can pick and play with them, not because the gun is just most useful in this situation, or even worse - the necessary weapon to take down certain enemies because they are immune to other guns (I really hate games that do that with passion), but because I WANT to use them and I feel like to use them now in this situation and enjoy the effect afterwards.

But I can as well understand the dislike of having lots of guns that are basically are same, like boring lame fire arms, lots of rifles and chaingun reskins, flood of shotguns and so on, as I myself hate when some user toss a crapton of boring shotguns in the same mod that hardly even differs from one-another, especially in mods like Grezzo Due and any "realistic" combat kind of mod. But I still want at least a flamethrower like attack for incenerator like Duke out of Doom mod at least for altfire, and some more fun weapons being added, like nuke weapon. I always felt that Duke Nukem really lacking a Nuke in it.

Besides, I believe you can actually dissable the animation of cycling through weapons in new gzdoom and make the guns instantly pop up in your hand instead. Not something I would like myself, but I think there is that.

Also the claim that HL2 got cut it's weapons for being "cluttering up the inventory for no good reason with gimmicks and stat-tweaked equivalents that got replaced" is a blatant filthy lie. The one and only reason why most of these guns got cut is because the HL2 files were leaked, and so the valve did butthurt for no good reason and tried to redone the whole thing from scratch, making a more lame and more boring weapons than the what they had before, because it wouldn't give same suprise\shock value or some other non-sense irrelevant garbage. And I'm being honest here, HL2 guns, aside from gravity gun, is one of the most lamest I've ever had bad luck to experience in history of games. Although you wouldn't say the same for original HL2, as it had both laser rifle, tau gun, some spider-like nade and even something that resembles BFG, each gun was unique and fun to use. Not to mention the lore supposed to be completely different, and you would even had luck to be in Black Mesa once more. Not to mention the famous cut NPC that originally supposed to appear, like Cremator and you probably could even steal his flamethrower, which is something I would absolutely love to use in HL2.
Valherran wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Having less weapons is counter-productive by nature, more mature gamers get used to have lots of guns attached to single button since hl series, they just don't use what they don't want. The primary reason why DNF was hated is 3 weapon carry limit, I don't really wish for this mod to make the same mistakes. Having such feature being enforced will agitate the rest of players.
Comparing this to DNF is very poor. I agree that game's weapon system was crap (along with many other things), but there's a difference between having 3 and the classic 11. This MOD has 27 weapons, some of which either under perform or have little difference from another, and are stacked too much in some weapon slots. Unlike Half-Life, this MOD doesn't use it's weapon hud selection system, you have to cycle through weapons one at a time. Cycling takes time due to playing weapon pull animations. 2-3 seconds to cycle through 4-6 weapons in the same slot is way too long of an opening for something bad to happen to you in the middle of combat.
Considering that DNF actually had pretty big variety of guns, and the fact that DNF was pretty much dumbed down for console + younger audience, it's quite a solid comparison. For me it's the only one problem the game had, other than that it was quite solid and fun shooter, although a bit linear (but neither a key hunt).

And like I said above to another person, I believe you can force weapons to instantly pop up in your hand when switching between weapons if you so wish, although I can't remember the command name. Again, if it's something entirely user-personal configuration that one could enable, instead of it being enforced on everyone else who is against it, then I can agree with it.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Gamerwarrior117 wrote:interesting mod, but i am trying to auto load on the source port engine and i can't. is there a way to have it auto load the second time? cause i already have an auto load for doom complete from wadsmoosh, but will it let me auto load twice for gzdoom? Also, can you add the music in the add on? what about having the episodes and the maps?
I'm sorry, but you really didn't have to scrap the whole thing of the first post and then reply. :O
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote: blah
Look, you can get your fix with AOD and other mods if you like it, thats fine. But the thing is most people play weapon mods to add to the experience, right? there is a certain point where it TAKES AWAY to have too many weapons. that why we love games like BLOOD and DUKE NUKEM and DOOM. We like simple, arcadey gameplay.

So my thought is that there should be a inventory limit to how many guns you have for those of us who don't like screwing around with a million different combinations. It doesn't even have to be that super complex, perhaps a simple ACS script that counts how many weapon entities the player has, tallies them up, and if the limit has been reached it drops the gun instead of picking it up. Maybe it can be adjusted with a slider, or maybe it can be a set amount per key, or whatever.

If there were a slider that let us choose how many guns we could carry that would be nice, and it could be turned off by default. IDK.

Maybe i'm in the minority here but this game frusterates me with how many options i have to sift through. That's really my only major gripe at this point, and it's not even a big enough "vein-in-the-forehead" type issue to make a stink about, but if we're gonna go on and on about it, here's why i was saying what I said and what my perspective is on the issue, and it is what it is.

No slight to the author of this mod whatsover - i think it's great. but some of the guns tend to be redundant or just clutter, and i think that instead of DELETING GUNS, a soft limit on how many guns are in your inventory is a nice thing to do with a game with so many guns. Do what you will with that tidbit.
MaxRideWizardLord

Crudux Cruo wrote:bluh
And I've eleborated precisely why I'm against it and why enforcing weapon limit would be a bad thing. Again, if it's client sided user costumisation, then that's fine. if it's an enforced feature that you can't change in options, I'm absolutely against it. The game is not even having THAT many weapons, maximum of just 4 per button, even half-life had more per slot (if you count penguins), so I feel like it needs more tbh, just the ones that adds to gameplay than being another shotgun\rifle clone. Then again, like I said, for now you can just drop weapons away which does work if you don't just mindlessly drop it in front of you or pick the next dropped gun off the enemy.
RastaManGames

Post by RastaManGames »

By the way it would be really nice to have some cvars, like enabling/disabling some guns and monsters or have gibs, that not disappearing.
Also one feature can be implemented as well - choice of Duke's voice (old or new, like in World Tour). And... Grenade Launcher from DN64 would be crazy!
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

I have only 1 recommended "That Slime can release Poison Gas when you stepped in" (instead the slime can only popup the screen and eat your face)

btw this is not my real comments, i remember this from other zdoom forums
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

Absolutely have to try this out. Duke was a legend right along Doom through my childhood.

Edit: Love all the new monsters, they all fit right in to Duke's style. Great work.
Now to add this to my favorite mods folder.
Equus

Post by Equus »

Any chance at getting the Duke Talk system on it's own?
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

Not bad kinda liked it but i definitely agree with everyone the damage from the enemies is way too high other than that nice job.

Also you should change the doom marine corpes and scripted marines to the EDF troops from alien armageddon.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”