Doom: The Golden Souls 3 - Important update at p.17, follow me on https://twitter.com/Batandy_ for project updates

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
salahmander2

Re: Doom: The Golden Souls 3 - Demo 1 OUT!

Post by salahmander2 »

Batandy wrote: Is it planned? No. Is it a feature? Yes!
I can't wait to use that trick to get to some parts of the levels.

I did forget to say, enemies/items respawning upon re-entering a level was quite interesting, not a bad thing mind you.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Two bugs found so far:

-The clerk in Thy Fries Consumed states she gives you 15 ray gun units, but you get 20, like from a pickup.
-If you have only one shell loaded and altfire the shotgun, it will still take 2 shells from you.

Suggestion:

-Either set the ray gun ammo amount to 15, or increase the clip size to 20. I'd be for the latter, because damage wise it's a pistol version of the plasma rifle :P
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Two bugs found so far:

-The clerk in Thy Fries Consumed states she gives you 15 ray gun units, but you get 20, like from a pickup.
-If you have only one shell loaded and altfire the shotgun, it will still take 2 shells from you.

Suggestion:

-Either set the ray gun ammo amount to 15, or increase the clip size to 20. I'd be for the latter, because damage wise it's a pistol version of the plasma rifle :P
Oh yeah, I raised the ammo count for that pickup right before uploading the build and forgot to update the text, doesn’t matter because ammo items will not be sold from that trader ( they’re there just to make them available in the demo)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I'm going to try the demo soon and tell you some thoughts and feedback afterwards. Again, you've done a great job making this demo and i surely can't wait for the completion. Glad i helped you as a playtester! :D
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by 3336655445 »

GS3 can run on GZDoom 3.8.2a :D
Fairweather

Post by Fairweather »

I loved this so much I just HAD to make an account. It's quite funny though, since I had just finished Golden Souls 2 on Soaring Comet and was really hungry for more- and while gushing about it on Discord a friend posted that, just that exact hour, you'd posted a demo for #3!
Playing through it, I absolutely love what's been done with the concept. Especially some of the later scenarios had me wall jumping, long jumping and otherwise bounding around like a maniac with what are possibly some of the best FPS platformer controls i've played with. Gonna be honest I don't really have any feedback that isn't pedantic nitpicks that are probably already on the radar, just wanted to let you know that this little peek has already eclipsed my love for GS2. I love the move away from really arbitrary and basic platforming above death pits towards more a more grounded set of challenges on multi-layered and fleshed out island environments.
Cannot wait for this to fully release, I do miss Soaring Comet though <3
King MagnaRool

Post by King MagnaRool »

I just played through the demo and... it's amazing. Now I do have a few complaints with the controls and such. the pistol's alt fire doesn't reload the gun which throws me off. the shotgun doesn't auto reload after ammo depletion like in the first 2 Golden Souls mods. longjumping throws me off because doomguy needs to be in crouch position to activate, which takes a few seconds from standing up. if there was a way to longjump with the combination of crouch key + jump key instead of needing to be in crouch position it would be greatly appreciated. but overall, I really enjoyed my time with this demo. thank you for making these projects, I can't wait to see what the final product looks like!
Spram

Post by Spram »

I played the demo and finished all the quests
Spoiler:
The hub area looks great. Reminds me of Traverse Town in Kingdom Hearts and that's a good thing. I liked that place.

Review of the first level (Spoilers so I don't ruin it for everyone else):
Spoiler:
So thanks for the demo! I can't wait to play the rest of the game.
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

the long jump feels a little finicky to me. some times it works others it doesn't.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Fairweather wrote:I loved this so much I just HAD to make an account. It's quite funny though, since I had just finished Golden Souls 2 on Soaring Comet and was really hungry for more- and while gushing about it on Discord a friend posted that, just that exact hour, you'd posted a demo for #3!
Playing through it, I absolutely love what's been done with the concept. Especially some of the later scenarios had me wall jumping, long jumping and otherwise bounding around like a maniac with what are possibly some of the best FPS platformer controls i've played with. Gonna be honest I don't really have any feedback that isn't pedantic nitpicks that are probably already on the radar, just wanted to let you know that this little peek has already eclipsed my love for GS2. I love the move away from really arbitrary and basic platforming above death pits towards more a more grounded set of challenges on multi-layered and fleshed out island environments.
Cannot wait for this to fully release, I do miss Soaring Comet though <3
Really appreciate it! Wanting to mess even more with platformer mechanics (and also a full fledged mission structure) is the reason why I decided to work on a sequel!
3336655445 wrote:GS3 can run on GZDoom 3.8.2a :D
I'm glad it does! Though I can't guarantee support in the longrun, especially if i'll keep up with other new Gzdoom additions. (I'm kinda eyeing that sprite offset thing at the moment).
Shaders might not work correctly already on your version, not sure though because I haven't tested it.
King MagnaRool wrote:I just played through the demo and... it's amazing. Now I do have a few complaints with the controls and such. the pistol's alt fire doesn't reload the gun which throws me off. the shotgun doesn't auto reload after ammo depletion like in the first 2 Golden Souls mods.
Thank you very much, and yes, don't worry, weapon behavior will be consistent across the entire loadout, once i'll put the Assault Rifle in I'll rework certain aspects of the previous weps.
King MagnaRool wrote: longjumping throws me off because doomguy needs to be in crouch position to activate, which takes a few seconds from standing up. if there was a way to longjump with the combination of crouch key + jump key instead of needing to be in crouch position it would be greatly appreciated. but overall, I really enjoyed my time with this demo. thank you for making these projects, I can't wait to see what the final product looks like!
thedeathrunner123 wrote:the long jump feels a little finicky to me. some times it works others it doesn't.
You gotta hold ctrl first and then jump, as the tutorial says, you can stack multiple longjumps by keeping the crouch key pressed (just tap space as soon as you hit the ground again).
Having to fully crouch before performing a longjump is a spam prevention mechanic, since in previous build you could just longjump by holding those keys, and the player would basically drift through rooms like in a Mario 64 speedrun, while fun it was pretty unbalanced, trust me.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Batandy wrote:You gotta hold ctrl first and then jump, as the tutorial says, you can stack multiple longjumps by keeping the crouch key pressed (just tap space as soon as you hit the ground again).
Having to fully crouch before performing a longjump is a spam prevention mechanic, since in previous build you could just longjump by holding those keys, and the player would basically drift through rooms like in a Mario 64 speedrun, while fun it was pretty unbalanced, trust me.
I have to say, the longjumping caught me out too. The tutorial says to press crouch and jump together (which I understand as being pressed at the same time), which I tried doing and it made no difference. Only when I crouched first did I notice that it caused the longjump to happen. Maybe a better description on how it works in the tutorial would help?
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Wow i'm suprised i didn't notice this before, looks awesome!

Man i can't wait to download and pla-
Batandy wrote:GZDoom v4.1.3 or newer only!
...Oh well i guess it works at least. Let's play at 5fps, it will be nice to explor-
Batandy wrote: Minimum:
CPU: AMD FX 8320
GPU: Nvidia GTX 760
Ram: 8 GB DDR3
...Watching the videos will be fun at least!

EDIT: I gave it a shot anyways, not really expecting any playable framerates at all. However, using LZDoom 3.82, software mode, wall cull distance set to 1000 and sprite cull to 2500 i got more than 30fps on average and everything seems to play fine (relatively speaking). The only large framerate drop is that touching a checkpoint completely and utterly destroys the framerate to around 3 seconds per frame, but only if i touch it after having activated the checkpoint. If you could take a quick look into what's causing that, i would greatly appreciate it.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Celeron N2805
GPU: Intel HD 3000
RAM: 2GB DDR3
Last edited by TDRR on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

TDRR wrote:Wow i'm suprised i didn't notice this before, looks awesome!

...Oh well i guess it works at least. Let's play at 5fps, it will be nice to explor-
Man, just because it’s Doom it doesn’t mean it’s not a modern game. I tend to support all the latest features and also like to work with big maps which are very cpu intensive, besides, it’s not like i’ve put a Ryzen 3000 as the minimum settings, those are from a 5 year old build.
Still, keep in mind that those settings are the recommended minimum settings for a good framerate, but some people managed to play this on laptops.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Batandy wrote:
TDRR wrote:Wow i'm suprised i didn't notice this before, looks awesome!

Man, just because it’s Doom it doesn’t mean it’s not a modern game. I tend to support all the latest features and also like to work with big maps which are very cpu intensive, besides, it’s not like i’ve put a Ryzen 3000 as the minimum settings, those are from a 5 year old build.
Still, keep in mind that those settings are the recommended minimum settings for a good framerate, but some people managed to play this on laptops.
It was actually mostly a joke post because i know that my PC is just utter garbage that shouldn't run modern Doom mods. But after trying it, i actually found out it was quite playable but there's an issue with the checkpoints. Now, this isn't a demand and if you really don't care enough to help out a guy with slow and aging hardware, that's fine and perfectly understandable. Just wanted to let you know about the issue.

Specifically:
TDRR wrote:EDIT: I gave it a shot anyways, not really expecting any playable framerates at all. However, using LZDoom 3.82, software mode, wall cull distance set to 1000 and sprite cull to 2500 i got more than 30fps on average and everything seems to play fine (relatively speaking). The only large framerate drop is that touching a checkpoint completely and utterly destroys the framerate to around 3 seconds per frame, but only if i touch it after having activated the checkpoint. If you could take a quick look into what's causing that, i would greatly appreciate it.

Specs:
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

TDRR wrote:
TDRR wrote:EDIT: I gave it a shot anyways, not really expecting any playable framerates at all. However, using LZDoom 3.82, software mode, wall cull distance set to 1000 and sprite cull to 2500 i got more than 30fps on average and everything seems to play fine (relatively speaking). The only large framerate drop is that touching a checkpoint completely and utterly destroys the framerate to around 3 seconds per frame, but only if i touch it after having activated the checkpoint. If you could take a quick look into what's causing that, i would greatly appreciate it.

Specs:
I'm really sorry, I don't want to be rude but I don't really work with older builds and especially Gzdoom forks, to be quite honest it's already a miracle that it runs there in software.
Try to disable checkpoint saves (Options > Golden Souls 3 Options) and see if something changes.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”