Dead Marine REDUX (V1.9.2)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
mrtaterz
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Dead Marine REDUX (V1.9.2)

Post by mrtaterz »

Gifty wrote: Hey! Thanks for taking interest in my old mod; I haven't worked on it in a while, so it's heartening to see it hasn't been totally forgotten and that people are still tinkering with it. Cheers!
Vostyok wrote:Never been so happy to find a sawed off.
Whoah wrote:So I gave this mod a test drive, and I gotta say, it has some potential to be a really cool and atmospheric mod. Almost like Hideous Destructor-lite.
Captain J wrote:Hmm... Very interesting and nice redux mode of Gifty's Dead Marine. I found interesting that the Enemy Roaster is now related zombies and humanoids. And the new item Adrenaline is a lot helpful during the busy situations. I also like the mouselook bobbing feature as well.
Dead Marine REDUX gameplay, wad is Scythe 2, MAP21.

This is a rebalance and rework of Gifty's Dead Marine to make it more of a gameplay mod and less of an aesthetic mod.
  • Most enemies have been replaced with some form of Former Human or Imp. Watch out for your former comrades; they use the same weapons you do, and also have quite a few other tricks up their sleeves. The Undead are after you.
  • Basic enemies are now bullet spongy, and enemies that were once high health are now lower health. Aim for the head for maximum damage.
  • Lean around corners and slowly pick off your enemies, one by one. This is a fight for survival.
  • Medikits can be picked up and saved for later, and you can hold 3 at a time. Adrenaline Kits can be picked up to give you a quick health boost. A small Inventory System that helps you manage your health.
  • Weapons have been altered; Shotguns will require you to take multiple shots at a distance, but will instagib enemies up close. The Pistol is now more accurate and is great for headshots, etc;
  • Everybody loves new weapons: A new rifle for long range engagements and hand grenades to help you deal with crowds of your former friends!
  • 1 Difficulty, 1 Experience. Play this challenging and tailor-made mod and experience it the way it was meant to be played.
Download main build here!
Mobile download link here!
Download unstable beta build here! current build is v1.9pre

VERSION ARCHIVE
Spoiler:

Dead Marine Redux Mobile is at v1.9.1*
Update parity is not possible due to me having to maintain and keep two separate versions up to date; updates to the Mobile version may be a couple of patches behind. The text above indicates what version Dead Marine Redux Mobile is at the moment.

You must use either GZDoom DEV Legacy or GZDoom DEV Modern. v1.9.1 and v3.2.5 will not work!

EXCLUSIVE OBLIGE/OBADDON CAMPAIGN
Spoiler:
SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:
MISCELLANEOUS RECOMMENDATIONS
Spoiler:
credits go to realm667 (Xim, Maelstrom, Tormentor667 sprite edits) for most of the monster replacements, and Mikk- for the headshot script. Josh771 for Universal Enhanced AI, BROS_ETT_311 and faslrn for providing me with resources for the shotgun animations. SGT_Mark_IV for the Level Enhancement features. NashMuhandes for the Weapon Sway and Tilt+ scripts. Slayer Knight from Legion of Bones mod, created by SpacemanStrife. Jekyll Grim Payne created the Rocket Fuel assets and provided them personally for this mod. Special thanks to potetobloke for the Carbine sprite edit, and Mr Typical and Yukes Von Faust for the assets he has provided. A huge thanks to 3saster for fixing up the HUD for me. ISGMetro gets a huge thanks for whipping up that logo for me, I don't know why he did it but thanks? haha

Dead Marine REDUX Mobile credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by mrtaterz on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 128 times in total.
Ahpiox

Re: Dead Marine REDUX

Post by Ahpiox »

```credits go to realm667 for most of the monster replacements```

So lazy to name actual authors
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Ahpiox wrote:```credits go to realm667 for most of the monster replacements```

So lazy to name actual authors
Pretty sure Tormentor667 made the Former Human variants and Maelstrom made the Flying Imp variants; credits for the monsters are on the realm667 website and all of the assets are free to use so I don't really see how this is a problem regardless unless you just feel like nitpicking and being pedantic.
Helion

Post by Helion »

Hey, I did a quick test and found some problems, headshots don't seem to work on imps (not sure about other monsters), Cyberdemon shoots rockets from his groin and not his arm and it looks strange, shotgun zombies looks like normal zombies in their shooting frames, it's missing UV monster spawns and I can't choose difficulty to fix that.

The BFG centers your viewpoint every time you fire.

Also, there is a slight delay on firing input on the Super shotgun and pistol (I like twitch aiming).
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Helion wrote:Hey, I did a quick test and found some problems, headshots don't seem to work on imps (not sure about other monsters), Cyberdemon shoots rockets from his groin and not his arm and it looks strange, shotgun zombies looks like normal zombies in their shooting frames, it's missing UV monster spawns and I can't choose difficulty to fix that.

The BFG centers your viewpoint every time you fire.

Also, there is a slight delay on firing input on the Super shotgun and pistol (I like twitch aiming).
Headshots worked fine on Imps last I checked; which version of GZDoom are you running?The Satyr is one of the only new enemies that should be immune to headshots besides boss enemies. Also, the Cyberdemon does what now? I will look into that for sure. :? Fixed the issue with Guardian Imps. Helion, thank you for pointing out these issues.

Shotgun Zombies should be fine. Are you sure you aren't using some sort of mod that messes with compatibility? I swear I am not getting this on my end. fixed as of the last update sorry for doubting you my eyes must be bad

This mod does not have UV monster spawns. It uses HMP monster spawns because the mod was balanced for it, and when you press New Game it takes you directly to the intended difficulty rather than letting you choose a difficulty yourself.

All of the weapons have a slight delay because I would rather you use Doom weapons than Brutal Doom weapons. There absolutely should be a delay beteeen your shots because you are a lone Marine out of your element surrounded by your dead friends.

I will test each of these issues after work; I am making this post before work and will be getting ready right after this post gets made and will come back home and make another post letting you know if I find anything. All of these issues seem really jarring.
Last edited by mrtaterz on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

UPDATE!
  • The coding fix for the Former Sargent and Former Human sprites have been added.
I am still trying to figure out what the deal is with the Cyberdemon.
I figured out that the Imp's aren't immune to headshots, their head hitbox is janky and I don't know how to fix it. I will look into it further but it will take some time to figure out since the headshot script was made by Mikk- and not me.
(solved!)
Last edited by mrtaterz on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

ANOTHER UPDATE!
  • Guardian Imp's headshot hitbox has been improved.
His headshot hitbox was actually literally above his head at one point. The sprite has been made taller, and the sprite height has been lowered to make the headshot hitbox lower and align properly with the sprite. This should hopefully solve issues with Imp encounters.
Last edited by mrtaterz on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

HEADSHOTS, PAIN, AND FORMER HUMANS REWORK! ALSO DIFFICULTY CHANGES!
  • Former Humans have all had their head hitboxes reworked to make headshots more consistent, as well as a new Pain Threshold integration which forces players to either use high powered weapons like the Shotgun at close range, or to aim for the head with the Pistol and deal high damage in order to cause enemies to enter a Pain State. This mechanic is subject to change.
  • Former Humans with Shotguns and (changed as of the rate of fire update) Rifles will enter a refire state upon seeing the player, and will continue firing at the player relentlessly. The player can stop this by making the enemy enter a Pain State.
  • Picking up all healing items now heals you twice the amount it usually would.
  • Shotguns have had a rework. They have had their spread evened out and now do one extra point of damage for consistency. This should help when you're fighting bigger crowds of enemies.
Last edited by mrtaterz on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

mrtaterz wrote: All of the weapons have a slight delay because I would rather you use Doom weapons than Brutal Doom weapons. There absolutely should be a delay beteeen your shots because you are a lone Marine out of your element surrounded by your dead friends.
Just saying, sometimes it's better to tailor an experience to what's best for the gameplay rather than your vision. Obviously, do your mod the way you want but also...try to keep this in mind.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

So I gave this mod a test drive, and I gotta say, it has some potential to be a really cool and atmospheric mod. Almost like Hideous Destructor-lite. But I have a couple complaints that irked me through my time playing it so far.

-Shotgun sergeants are total BS enemies now. Their shots seem to be much more accurate than the player, to the point that they can take half my health off from across a big ass room. They also definitely shoot much faster than the player, which doesn't make a lot of sense, since their weapon proficiency should definitely be lower than the players, or at least on par. Having a super common enemy be better with the main weapon of the game than the player, seems super backwards and makes the game artificially difficult.
-Enemies typically having low pain chances, seems to severely lower the usefulness of the chainsaw. Low pain chance enemies are fine, but now my chainsaw just clutters up my arsenal.
-This other complaint is super minor, but the shotgun disappears for a split second after its raising animation.

And that's all my complaints! Some stuff I actually really liked about the mod, was the general "you vs. them" mood it conveys. The original mod had this, but your mod definitely amplifies it. I also really like that shotgun raising animation, and I hope you plan to throw in some other ones for the other guns. Suuuuper satisfying. But yeah, in its current state, this mod is pretty good, but has some noticable balance issues that make it a little frustrating to play. Either way, good luck, man!

EDIT: I also noticed that autoaim auto-targets enemies' heads. Not necessarily a complaint, just something I noticed
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Whoah wrote:So I gave this mod a test drive, and I gotta say, it has some potential to be a really cool and atmospheric mod. Almost like Hideous Destructor-lite. But I have a couple complaints that irked me through my time playing it so far.

-Shotgun sergeants are total BS enemies now. Their shots seem to be much more accurate than the player, to the point that they can take half my health off from across a big ass room. They also definitely shoot much faster than the player, which doesn't make a lot of sense, since their weapon proficiency should definitely be lower than the players, or at least on par. Having a super common enemy be better with the main weapon of the game than the player, seems super backwards and makes the game artificially difficult.
-Enemies typically having low pain chances, seems to severely lower the usefulness of the chainsaw. Low pain chance enemies are fine, but now my chainsaw just clutters up my arsenal.
-This other complaint is super minor, but the shotgun disappears for a split second after its raising animation.

And that's all my complaints! Some stuff I actually really liked about the mod, was the general "you vs. them" mood it conveys. The original mod had this, but your mod definitely amplifies it. I also really like that shotgun raising animation, and I hope you plan to throw in some other ones for the other guns. Suuuuper satisfying. But yeah, in its current state, this mod is pretty good, but has some noticable balance issues that make it a little frustrating to play. Either way, good luck, man!

EDIT: I also noticed that autoaim auto-targets enemies' heads. Not necessarily a complaint, just something I noticed
Shotgun sergeants are hard, hehe. They have the same exact stats as your shotgun believe it or not. Their weapon proficiency is just as good as yours is.
The shotgun raising animation was coded in by Gifty himself, but I may be able to fix how it works myself. I will look into this.
The painchance thing is mainly just an experiment. I may or may not even plan on keeping this mechanic in. I am glad you are enjoying it, and will definitely be taking other people's criticisms on this into account!

As of now, I have lowered the painthreshold down to 10 on basic enemies, we will see how this goes!
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Alright sounds good. Although I did notice that sergeants were able to pop off like 2 or 3 shotgun blasts in the time it was taking me to do one. Would you mind just lowering their attack frequency somewhat?
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Whoah wrote:Alright sounds good. Although I did notice that sergeants were able to pop off like 2 or 3 shotgun blasts in the time it was taking me to do one. Would you mind just lowering their attack frequency somewhat?
I appear to have found the solution!

Have you tried disabling Fast Monsters? jk lol i fixed it

I love you Dad. Appreciate you.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Appreciate it, son. I love you too. Keep up the good work, I'm proud of you
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

UPDATE!
  • Fixed the rate of fire on the Former Sargent.
  • Former Human rifle damage down from 5 to 3. Horizontal and vertical spread increased from 5 to 6.
  • Dead Marine Options has been given a facelift to give you the option to quickly enable or disable Fast Monsters or break the game change the Headshot multiplier.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”