GERMS [3 Episode ZDoom Megawad] *17/03* UPDATE

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
zVOITTO
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

GERMS [3 Episode ZDoom Megawad] *17/03* UPDATE

Post by zVOITTO »

===========================================================================

A strange structure resembling a huge meatgrinder dripping with blood has risen from the ground. There's some kind of a glowing orb floating on top of it... IT'S A FREE MEGASPHERE! BETTER GRAB MY RUNNING SHOES AND JUMP IN!

Aw Geez... There went to the germs.

Germs is a Doom 2 map pack for GZDoom/Zandronum made by a trio of Finnish Doom lunatics containing *26* maps, custom monsters, textures, revenants, music and weapons. Lots of blood, flesh, metal and marble painside. The plan is to have 32 playable maps in the future, and updates are coming soon™(and frequently?)

NOTICE The maps are designed with standard Doom movement in mind, so disable jumping and crouching for the intended experience and challenge. Also some of the levels are dark on purpose, and we would recommend playing with the "Dark" or "Doom" sector lighting modes.

**NEW in Version 1F

2 NEW levels
  • MORASSTERY (MAP22)
    DEEP FRY (MAP 28)
    Spoiler:
  • Altered map order
    Balance changes
    Fixes and improvements
    Updated textures
    Some new banging midi tunes for the rumblehouse
Download the latest version of GERMS here: GERMS_V1F.zip

Screenshot gallery
Spoiler:
Any and all feedback, reviews and criticisms are appreciated!

Play Information, credits, old versions:
Spoiler:
What is included:
Spoiler:
Play Information:
Spoiler:

Credits:
Spoiler:
Special Thanks:
Spoiler:
Construction Details:
Spoiler:
Full mapping credits:
Spoiler:

Downloads and version history for old versions:
Spoiler:
**changes in Version 1D
Spoiler:
Last edited by zVOITTO on Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 20 times in total.
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: GERMS

Post by MFG38 »

Screenshots are looking cool. Will give this a spin at some point.
zVOITTO

Post by zVOITTO »

Thanks! Any feedback is appreciated ;)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Wow - agreed on the screenshots. I see some very impressive ones there! Lots of detail. :)
Mysterious Haruko

Post by Mysterious Haruko »

Hey, screenshots are impressive in architecture case, but default skies don't do much of justice for set in my opinion. Something more oppressive, mystical or gloomy would be nice here as sky textures. But I don't want influence you that much. I'll give a run soon, if I won't forget.
zVOITTO

Post by zVOITTO »

*NEW* TRAILER FOR GERMS
Grumpy Tengu

Post by Grumpy Tengu »

Looked at the screenshots and thought it looked cool, gave it a go. I dont know who this is supposed to be for except maybe masochists. Difficulty is fine and dandy but this feels like you get punished for every step you advance and get bombarded with monsters. I tested on UV cause thats what i always play on and i lost motivation to keep on after like 10 minutes. Cant even give you constructive criticism cause i see these kind of maps all the time and i really dislike them. Always feels to me like someone wants to prove he is the biggest the baddest creator of them all by making their map this difficult and thats not the point its supposed to be fun above anything else..difficulty can be fun but within reason of course... so in short not my type of maps
zVOITTO

Re: GERMS *03/09 UPDATE*

Post by zVOITTO »

NEW Screenshots:
Spoiler:
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Grumpy Tengu wrote:Looked at the screenshots and thought it looked cool, gave it a go. I dont know who this is supposed to be for except maybe masochists. Difficulty is fine and dandy but this feels like you get punished for every step you advance and get bombarded with monsters. I tested on UV cause thats what i always play on and i lost motivation to keep on after like 10 minutes. Cant even give you constructive criticism cause i see these kind of maps all the time and i really dislike them. Always feels to me like someone wants to prove he is the biggest the baddest creator of them all by making their map this difficult and thats not the point its supposed to be fun above anything else..difficulty can be fun but within reason of course... so in short not my type of maps
I mean there's literally two difficulty levels easier than UV but why try anything else that might work when you can just give a bad review on the internet, amirite?
zVOITTO

Post by zVOITTO »

KILLER2 wrote:
Grumpy Tengu wrote:Looked at the screenshots and thought it looked cool, gave it a go. I dont know who this is supposed to be for except maybe masochists. Difficulty is fine and dandy but this feels like you get punished for every step you advance and get bombarded with monsters. I tested on UV cause thats what i always play on and i lost motivation to keep on after like 10 minutes. Cant even give you constructive criticism cause i see these kind of maps all the time and i really dislike them. Always feels to me like someone wants to prove he is the biggest the baddest creator of them all by making their map this difficult and thats not the point its supposed to be fun above anything else..difficulty can be fun but within reason of course... so in short not my type of maps
I mean there's literally two difficulty levels easier than UV but why try anything else that might work when you can just give a bad review on the internet, amirite?
Both of you are right. I believe Grumpy played the V1 release of GERMS, where UV is the equilavent of V1a and V1b:s Masochism Difficulty. In the current version (v1b) UV should reflect more to Doom 2's UV, or maybe Plutonia, because it is still pretty hard :lol:
Turin Turambar

Post by Turin Turambar »

Where is the yellow key in map05? I'm totally stuck on the map :(
zVOITTO

Post by zVOITTO »

Turin Turambar wrote:Where is the yellow key in map05? I'm totally stuck on the map :(
Are you playing on Hurt Me Plenty? Just looked at the Yellow keycard on Map05, and noticed that it's missing the Skill 2 (HMP) flag! :blergh: Sorry about that! I recommend to just spawn the keycard in your inventory in the console with "give yellowcard", until we'll post a fixed version SOON™

Where the keycard should be:
Spoiler:
Turin Turambar

Re: GERMS *08/10 FIX*

Post by Turin Turambar »

Yes, I'm playing on HMP. I'm no masochist ;)

Ok, thanks for the reply. Happy to beta test it. :P
Turin Turambar

Post by Turin Turambar »

And advice: I would say map 01 is the hardest one from the first five maps. I would change the order so the easier ones are played before.
zVOITTO

Post by zVOITTO »

Turin Turambar wrote:And advice: I would say map 01 is the hardest one from the first five maps. I would change the order so the easier ones are played before.
Thanks for the feedback! The map order most likely will change as more maps are made. Two new maps are well on their way already :D

Return to “Levels”