Realm - Weapon Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
22alpha22
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Realm - Weapon Mod

Post by 22alpha22 »

CURRENT VERSION: 1.2

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/11xcvv5lw88y3 ... 2.zip?dl=0

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:
ABOUT THE MOD

GENERAL:
I originally created the weapons in this mod for one of my projects, Realm, specifically. It now seems like I may never actually finish Realm and since I spent a lot of time on these weapons and I thought they turned pretty great, I decided it would be a waste not to at least include them in their own stand-alone weapon mod. The weapons are built around Neccronixis's excellent Doom (2016) sprites, of which several other mods have already used. I had no intention of recreating Doom (2016)'s weapon behavior, enough mods have done that already, rather I wanted to give my own unique spin to the weapons. As a result, I have made edits to many of the sprites and repurposed some of them to suit my own needs and desires. For example I turned the lightning gun into a grenade launcher. :twisted:

FEATURES:
-16 new weapons
-All weapons feature an alt-attack of some kind (an upgrade may be required first for some weapons)
-Modern FPS style reload system (no wasted ammo on early reloads, keep reloading after firing one bullet :D)
-Most weapons can utilize two different ammo types (an upgrade may be required first for some weapons)
-Several weapons can be upgraded
-Unlike Doom 2016, both weapon upgrades can be utilized simultaneously
-Completely vanilla Doom compatible (load up Plutonia and show those Demons whose boss)
-Weapons have weight, heavier weapons like a chaingun will reduce mobility while equipped
-Weapon accuracy is affected by movement speed, the faster you move the less accurate you'll be (the crosshair will reflect this)

WEAPON AND AMMO INFO:
Spoiler:
FAQ

Q: How do I switch ammo types?
A: You can find all of Realm's new key bindings under its own section in the Controls menu.

Q: What are the flares for and how do I use them?
A: The flares are a left over element from my original Realm project. They are used to light up dark areas and don't really serve any other purpose. They probably wont be very useful in this weapon mod on vanilla mapsets but I didn't really see any point in editing the weapons to remove them. If you want to use them, make sure your using a weapon capable of launching them, some weapons may need an upgrade for this, make sure you actually have some flares, and finally press the flare key.

Q: What is the power armor and how do I use it?
A: The power armor is a rare type of armor that may spawn wherever green or blue armor usually spawns. It can be used in addition to normal armor as it runs on energy cells rather than armor hitpoints. If you have some power armor, select it through the inventory and activate it like any other inventory item. You can also deactivate it the same way. You'll need some energy cells which can be found wherever armor bonus spawn in order to activate the power armor. If the armor is active you'll have additional damage resistances but will lose energy cells whenever you do take damage.

Q: Is this mod compatible with Brutal Doom or any other mods?
A: Short answer: No. Long answer: Probably not. This mod replaces all vanilla weapons with new weapons and binds them through KEYCONF in order to absolutely break compatibility with other weapon mods or mods that modify vanilla weapons. In addition all ammo pickups have been replaced so you wont be able to get vanilla ammo or other custom ammo types without cheating. This mod probably wont work with custom monster replacer mods as all vanilla monsters have been replaced with modified versions designed to work with the Stasis Rifle and to drop the new ammo types.

Q: Will you please make this mod Brutal compatible?
A: Absolutely NOT!

CHANGELOG
Spoiler:
KNOWN ISSUES

None so far...

MY OTHER PROJECTS

Hell Hath No Fury [Active] - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65349
Quake II Resources [Active] - viewtopic.php?f=37&t=45628
Realm [Cancelled] - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=47182
Delta Force: Doom Warrior [On Hold] - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=55861
Last edited by 22alpha22 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
StroggVorbis

Re: Realm - Weapon Mod

Post by StroggVorbis »

Funny how this uses the Quake 2 HUD but with a modern layout as yesterday I was dabbling in Quake 2 modding. I especially like the two backpacks which function like the bandolier and ammo pack.

I've got only one bug to report so far, and that is the sniper rifle's scope scales with HUD size. If not at max, it's not centered, instesd it's located at the left side of the screen. Tested with g4.1.3

Just a personal nitpick, make every weapon switch as fast as the fists to compensate for the lengthy reload times.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Will this mod have tesla cannon and shoulder flamethrower in future?
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

DabbingSquidward wrote: I've got only one bug to report so far, and that is the sniper rifle's scope scales with HUD size. If not at max, it's not centered, instesd it's located at the left side of the screen. Tested with g4.1.3
None of the scopes are supposed to be centered, the scopes are in the classic Delta Force style and off to the left so that can you still keep most of your view unobstructed. If they ever appear centered, that will be the bug.
DabbingSquidward wrote:Just a personal nitpick, make every weapon switch as fast as the fists to compensate for the lengthy reload times.
I haven't really noticed an issue with the select speeds but I'll look into it.
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Will this mod have tesla cannon and shoulder flamethrower in future?
I'm not familiar with those weapons and they weren't part of Neccronixis's sprite sets so probably not unless they are part of a sprite set somewhere that matches the ones in this mod.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

22alpha22 wrote:I'm not familiar with those weapons and they weren't part of Neccronixis's sprite sets so probably not unless they are part of a sprite set somewhere that matches the ones in this mod.
These are part of original Doom 4 weapons, though. Except shoulder flamethrower, that is part of Doom Eternal. I believe major cookie had decent looking and working lightning gun with decent skin replicated of doom 4's one, though.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

This is pretty interesting, however I find myself sort of wishing the weapons looked and felt more punchy. reloads are long and boring, shots seem to take forever and be touchy for certain weapons to refire, animations are wooden, ect.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

This mod has realistic feel and speed into it. Not that i mean it's bad, but pretty reasonable and well made. Also Super Shotgun needs another reload action that loads one barrel.
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

I wish Doom Eternal Weapons have added too, with Grappling Hook, and Flamethrower on his shoulder
Captain J wrote:This mod has realistic feel and speed into it. Not that i mean it's bad, but pretty reasonable and well made. Also Super Shotgun needs another reload action that loads one barrel.
Yeah i noticed that Super Shotgun's primary fire wont reload
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

Crudux Cruo wrote:This is pretty interesting, however I find myself sort of wishing the weapons looked and felt more punchy. reloads are long and boring, shots seem to take forever and be touchy for certain weapons to refire, animations are wooden, ect.
That is an interesting opinion, I'm playing through Plutonia right now on UV and these weapons make it laughably easy. I was actually thinking some of the weapons might need to be toned down as some feel too powerful to me. As for the reload's, the idea of these weapons is to bring a bit more realism and require some planning and tactics before each engagement. I know that wont be everyone's cup of tea but that is something I personally enjoy.
Captain J wrote:Also Super Shotgun needs another reload action that loads one barrel.
Noted and I'll have a fix done soon.

EDIT (7/30/19):
Version 1.1 has been released.

EDIT (8/6/19):
Version 1.2 has been released. Check the changelog in the OP for a full list of fixes and improvements.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”