Stylish Hell: Monster Randomizer inspired by LTG

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
primavoltage

Re: Stylish Hell: Monster Randomizer inspired by LTG

Post by primavoltage »

i have seem to encounter an error during the launch using in ZDoom Source Port;

Script error, "stylish_hell.zip:snakes.txt" line 27:
Invalid parameter 'a_spawnprojectile'

it also applies to Zandronum Source Port as well
APsychicMonkey

Post by APsychicMonkey »

Stylish Hell was only ever designed to work with the latest version of GZDoom.
I never tested it with ZDoom or Zandronum, so I am sadly unsurprised it does not work.
I would recommend playing it with GZDoom, but if that's not an option I can try to find a solution.

For anyone else returning to this thread
The Hexen compatibility is almost done! The sprites are finished and I just need to do some scripting to make it work with the Doom Bestiary the way I want. I'll be busy this week, but I should have some time to get it done soon.
bendix-hyde

Post by bendix-hyde »

Finally got around to trying out the newest version. I love this mod!
I haven't played Heretic with it yet, but I did go through a couple levels in Chex.
The goo girls are cute, but the flying saucer looking enemies were the default and didn't have a replacment as I was playing it with High Noon Drifter.
Maybe I loaded it wrong? I have it loading after HND using ZDL.

That aside, I'm gonna try Heretic next to see the new enemies.
primavoltage

Post by primavoltage »

APsychicMonkey wrote:Stylish Hell was only ever designed to work with the latest version of GZDoom.
I never tested it with ZDoom or Zandronum, so I am sadly unsurprised it does not work.
I would recommend playing it with GZDoom, but if that's not an option I can try to find a solution.

For anyone else returning to this thread
The Hexen compatibility is almost done! The sprites are finished and I just need to do some scripting to make it work with the Doom Bestiary the way I want. I'll be busy this week, but I should have some time to get it done soon.
Is that so?, well if u say your trying to find a solution well its fine, just take your time :D . And btw, i love the mod ,keep it up. I already combine most of weapons gameplay mods like Final Doomer Plus but i had encounter a problem at Russian Overkill and Guncaster, it seems some of the weapons was been replaced into one of the monsters of this mod like the RO's Matryoshka weapon replaced into a Baroness sprite and the GC's Sandman into a Cyberdemoness sprite, i don't know if that happen to others but that's why i found. I used LZDoom and GZDoom to these weapons mod since it doesn't work for ZDoom or Zandro anyways.
APsychicMonkey

Post by APsychicMonkey »

Thanks for the feedback and reporting the bugs, I changed the sprite names so they won't conflict anymore (and hopefully don't conflict somewhere else I haven't seen). I have a few more Hexen sprites to do (Ice Guys and Reavers) before I upload the new version.
What exactly is GC's Sandman? I couldn't find it when I tested it with Stylish Hell or looked at the file in SLADE. I've never used it with Stylish Hell since the money doesn't work, does the universal adapter mod fix that?
Also, I love Final Doomer+ soooooooo much. It's great with Colorful Hell, Stylish Hell and vanilla enemies.
bendix-hyde

Post by bendix-hyde »

Just got through the Icon(ess?) of Sin and wow.
That was really something.
Kind of glad that I didn't use Hideous for this (besides the fact that Doom 2 is pretty much impossible with HD aside from a few maps) and pretty glad I went through it all with Ralsei and Susie because some parts leading up to the end was absolutely brutal. Those Caco girls with the AOE are an absolute nightmare when there's more than one and in a tight space.
It was funny getting the final boss to infight a little with the little fish even though it only lasted a minute or two.

Absolutely looking forward for what's next!
primavoltage

Post by primavoltage »

APsychicMonkey wrote:Thanks for the feedback and reporting the bugs, I changed the sprite names so they won't conflict anymore (and hopefully don't conflict somewhere else I haven't seen). I have a few more Hexen sprites to do (Ice Guys and Reavers) before I upload the new version.
What exactly is GC's Sandman? I couldn't find it when I tested it with Stylish Hell or looked at the file in SLADE. I've never used it with Stylish Hell since the money doesn't work, does the universal adapter mod fix that?
Also, I love Final Doomer+ soooooooo much. It's great with Colorful Hell, Stylish Hell and vanilla enemies.
Sorry, it was the Guncaster's Matriarch weapon and Russian Overkill's Matryoshka, these weapons replaced into your SH Heretic Minotaur but i really don't know if the problem was these gameplay mods or yours but it's fine...
I really hope if Final Doomer Plus has the Eviternity map-themed weaponsets.... :wub:
Sgt. Ham
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Sgt. Ham »

This is probably one of the most... "interesting" mods I've come across for Doom.
Spoiler:
I've had a lot of fun playing it with Netronian Chaos and La Tailor Girl. Good times, dude. Thanks. I'm not very good at typing out some elaborate paragraphed review so I'll just lay out some pros, cons, and other things in bullets to keep things simple.

Pros
+Cute enemies
+Compatible with virtually any weapon mod
+Tough enemies
+Good idea for a cool Final Boss at the end

Cons
-Cacogirl is a bit OP.
-Some of the animations for enemies aren't exactly as "s o u l f u l" as I'm pretty sure everyone else replying has said already, but they're not entirely bad at all!

Constructive Criticism (Just some personal gripes that don't really all that matter, you don't have to follow them if you want. No pressure.)
~Sometimes, it's too tough (or I'm not gud haha; probably the latter).
~The Cacogirl's Stationary lightning balls look a bit small visually compared to their actual AOE range which could preferably use a reduction.
~The enemy voices aren't really appetizing with the enemies being cute lil' demons. They may fit better for stronger demons like the Barons, but not for all of them, especially the humans. Maybe some other filters for different demons could work.
Spoiler:
Bugs
*The sunglasses imp's fireballs will sometimes remain on the floor, undetonated. Usually where the wall and floor meet. If you walk on these, then they'll explode into fire.
*I don't know if this is a bug or not, but the sunglasses imp's fire makes footstep sounds while burning on the floor.
*Titania's voice line that she says when you engage her is a bit quiet to hear from a distance.

Personal requests (again, like the constructive criticism, you don't have to take this seriously if you dont want to.)
=Moar variants.
=friendly versions of the enemies in a similar way to the bound cyclops gril.

That's pretty much all I could find to say. Keep up the amazing work on the mod! I'll be looking forward for what's next to come!
Last edited by Sgt. Ham on Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
APsychicMonkey

Post by APsychicMonkey »

Thanks for the great critique! I've been having a bit of a creative drought on Stylish Hell, and working on other projects, but your awesome response has spurred me to put out the Hexen compatibility patch!
Featuring 8 (technically 9) new enemies! That's right, 9 completely new from scratch enemies! Makes Hexen's irritating level designs a bit more palatable!
I will try to fix the bugs with Titania's voice and the sunglasses imps, but I'm not sure what's causing them.
Cacogirl has been nerfed, her teslaball's damage radius is halved and does less damage (though it's still very deadly).
In future I hope to do lots of exciting things: a badass Revenant girl with homing missiles, Serpent girls that spawn in water (with Zscript?) and some badass boss fights with powerful humanoid enemies designed after rival players! Also, summonable or freeable allies could replace gore objects, though balancing that could become a total nightmare. I also want to polish up the animations, but it's a lot of work and I'll really have to buckle down and get it done.
Also, I hope to make a fantasy themed map set featuring the Hexen enemies in a far better setting, or a set of levels inspired by River City Ransom and featuring RPG mechanics and loot, but that's pie in the sky stuff for the distant future.
Thanks again so much for the feedback, and I hope I can live up to everyone's expectations!
batos2

Post by batos2 »

APsychicMonkey wrote:Thanks for the great critique! I've been having a bit of a creative drought on Stylish Hell, and working on other projects, but your awesome response has spurred me to put out the Hexen compatibility patch!
Featuring 8 (technically 9) new enemies! That's right, 9 completely new from scratch enemies! Makes Hexen's irritating level designs a bit more palatable!
I will try to fix the bugs with Titania's voice and the sunglasses imps, but I'm not sure what's causing them.
Cacogirl has been nerfed, her teslaball's damage radius is halved and does less damage (though it's still very deadly).
In future I hope to do lots of exciting things: a badass Revenant girl with homing missiles, Serpent girls that spawn in water (with Zscript?) and some badass boss fights with powerful humanoid enemies designed after rival players! Also, summonable or freeable allies could replace gore objects, though balancing that could become a total nightmare. I also want to polish up the animations, but it's a lot of work and I'll really have to buckle down and get it done.
Also, I hope to make a fantasy themed map set featuring the Hexen enemies in a far better setting, or a set of levels inspired by River City Ransom and featuring RPG mechanics and loot, but that's pie in the sky stuff for the distant future.
Thanks again so much for the feedback, and I hope I can live up to everyone's expectations!
Thanks You

I go to for them!. :D
hornbuckle0wns

Post by hornbuckle0wns »

Great little mod, only really used it with LTG so far, might branch out in future. Only real complaint is the voices, it clashes with the cutesy tone too much, at least for some enemies. Keep up the great work, it's awesome to see you cover heritic and hexen too! It's always great to see authors have fun with their mod and such. A bestiary would be nice too, some way to see most/all monsters with a short description of their abilities, I'm a sucker for codex entry stuff like that, but not at all necessary. Kudos on a great mod!
Spoiler:
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Not sure if you noticed; but Mr. Icarus featured Stylish Hell a couple of days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-6u1n0cZFI
He praises it quite handily. XD
APsychicMonkey

Post by APsychicMonkey »

Oh yeah! I'm a big fan of Mr. Icarus, and it was a thrill seeing my mod in my feed. I'll put a link on the forum's first page. Also I'm planning on doing my own trailer at some point, and creating a lore .pdf full of descriptions of demons and simple illustrations. I'll put it on mediafire so anyone interested can download it.
batos2

Post by batos2 »

APsychicMonkey wrote:Oh yeah! I'm a big fan of Mr. Icarus, and it was a thrill seeing my mod in my feed. I'll put a link on the forum's first page. Also I'm planning on doing my own trailer at some point, and creating a lore .pdf full of descriptions of demons and simple illustrations. I'll put it on mediafire so anyone interested can download it.
I can recommend making a trailer similar this: :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRK0R_1mJvA
primavoltage

Post by primavoltage »

APhyschicMonkey, i managed to run the mod using ZDoom32 Source Port (not ZDoom) and it works smoothly because while i was bored, i have no choice but to mess aorund the mods just for fun (don't worry, im creating a backup file just in case i really messed up the mod for real), since the SH mod doesn't run in Zdoom32, i peeked inside to the contents and recode the A_SpawnProjectile since it wont work for old versions of ZDoom and change it into A_CustomMissile since its this parameter is just equivalent to the A_SpawnProjectile but older to kept the compatibility... (btw, all codes with A_SpawnProjectile function in ur mod was changed into A_CustomMissile including the DECORATE lump)

and the result, it works smoothly, i ran and tested it in LZDoom v3.82, GZDoom v4.1.3, and GZDoom Vintage v3.8.2, and it works fine without any errors encountered...

and next, i attempt to run it in Zandronum (i think it goes the same runs with ZDoom v2.8.1), and it got 2 errors, one was a script error from imps.txt and the other was the menudef lump...

since Zandro v3.0 and ZDoom v2.8.1 doesnt recognize AddOptionMenu case in MENUDEF so i deleted it to run (im trying to create my own MENUDEF lump to run it) so the last error was the script in imps.txt. The error says it that the code should be expected in ')' but the current code was ',' so i don't really know how to fix this because im still learning about DECORATE functions so i put the comment in "AFMP D 3 A_JumpIfCloser(100,"Melee",0) " at the ArmoredFlyingImp Actor in imps.txt or i deleted the ',0' into AFMP D 3 A_JumpIfCloser(100,"Melee") instead and as the result, it runs in Zandro without encountering an error and works smoothly without a problem so i don't know if u want to use this to make compatible run for ZDoom or Zandro (i use ZDoom32 since it has little more advance than the ZDoom v2.8.1) so its really fine if u dont want to, i can understand that as well...

still im i support and love this mod because its cute and challenging at the same time and i even created my own monster pack mod that was based and ripped out in Hexereticdoom's HXRTC Project Golden Edition July 12,2019 Update to run it in vanilla compatibility and mixed it with other gameplay mods but i cant publicly distribute it yet cuz it needs a lot of cleaning and need permission from Hexereticdoom so all in all,i hope ur cute mod still continues... :D :D :D

btw, are u going to make this mod compatible to Strife and its monsters as well, well it''ll be a good thing but its ur own decision since its ur mod and i just only support it...

anyways, sorry for the damn long reply and i fully apologize for editing the codes of ur mod without ur consent but i have no intention to distribute or upload it in public so dont worry about it...

anyways, thank u and i hope u read the message clearly cuz i had a bad comprehensions in English

Return to “Gameplay Mods”