HAPPY TIME CIRCUS II: DUCT TAPED - v1.1!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sytruan

HAPPY TIME CIRCUS II: DUCT TAPED - v1.1!

Post by Sytruan »

Happy Time Circus II is a Total Conversion for Doom 2 based on the 1990s IT miniseries, and the sequel to the original Happy Time Circus.

For the longest time, I'd been searching for a WAD that was dripping with atmosphere, and though I got some satisfying responses, HTC 2 was always listed alongside the first entry. While HTC itself was fairly good, the ending was meant to kill the player at all costs, regardless of fairness - not to mention the shortage of environmental design - but HTC 2 would cause crashes when loaded with new versions of GZDoom, forcing players to use much older versions or even ZDoom.

Eventually, I decided to throw together a home-made fix myself and give it a run through. What I didn't expect was for it to be positively dripping with personality, atmosphere, and more - so much so that I spent the next week, with some help from friends, fixing what bugs and issues we could find while also making a mod-supportive version with a different balance of certain items to keep it from becoming horrifically easy with gameplay mods.

TL;DR, this one doesn't crash when used with GZDoom.

FAQ:
Spoiler:

DOWNLOADS!

FIX STYLE - HTC 2, but patched to work with GZDoom.
SUPPORTIVE STYLE - Mod compatible! Should work with most out there.

Credits:
Ray Schmitz (shitbag) for creating the original versions!
Yholl and Sgt. Shivers for allowing the Final Doomer meme in the trailer.
MENTHA and Umbra for bug testing.
Last edited by Sytruan on Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
Gorman Frebmane

Re: HAPPY TIME CIRCUS II

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

Crusty jugglers.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Really enjoyed the first one's atmopshere despite the bugs it had. Will be trying this one out for sure.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Sytruan wrote: Wait, this is already available!
Yeah, you should give it a different title, even if it's just something like Happy Time Circus 2: Bugfix Edition. IMO.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

So is anyone else getting a monstrous amount of lag?
Sytruan

Post by Sytruan »

Gez wrote: Yeah, you should give it a different title, even if it's just something like Happy Time Circus 2: Bugfix Edition. IMO.
Done. Also redid the trailer! Last one was semi-hastily put together, hence the low quality.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently my rendering software just loves to ruin the bitrate of everything it touches.
MetroidJunkie wrote:So is anyone else getting a monstrous amount of lag?
Though this map may be old, it's incredibly large and has a significant amount of monsters. While heavier mods like Project Brutality work, they most certainly won't run well.
MetroidJunkie

Re: HAPPY TIME CIRCUS II: DUCT TAPED

Post by MetroidJunkie »

I was trying it completely vanilla with GZDoom, had a very unplayable framerate.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Tried the "Supportive" version with Hideous Destructor and I'm pleased to say it worked pretty well! The "dormant until player in radius" behavior of some of the enemies is a little annoying when using a flashlight that allows you to see and engage at ranges farther than the monster activation radius, those little skulls especially with how hard they are to hit. I played up until the big wall lowers and releases the mega bulby (which promptly massacred me).

Overall though it's pretty playable and atmospheric. HTC's "schlocky creepy clowns horror" is surprisingly effective when combined with HD's particular style of "survival horror through gameplay mechanics". I like that almost every enemy is seemingly a glass canon, which HD's mechanics are particularly suited to. I found myself dreading every corner, every room clearing, looking over my shoulder whenever I went to grab a powerup or investigate a closet.

Thanks for making this work with modern GZDoom, and thanks for the supportive edition letting me experience it with my favorite mod!

8-)
Sytruan

Post by Sytruan »

MetroidJunkie wrote:I was trying it completely vanilla with GZDoom, had a very unplayable framerate.
It may be your hardware. The monster count, due to the size of the level, is near slaughterwad levels. Sadly, I can't really do much about this myself, as the entirety of the mod is already coded in Decorate, and there's no unused files or textures from what I can tell. However, you could try playing older versions - they perform better, but updated versions of mods won't work with them.
Caligari87 wrote:-snip-
No problem! The dormant enemy design I could try to take a look at, but if you had trouble getting far into the map, I'd consider lowering the difficulty. These enemies were designed to be difficult for the fast, agile, and arcade-like Doomguy, rather than the slow and tactical edge of HDGuy, not to mention the sadistic nature of the map's design. I'm happy you enjoyed it, though! I loved the dread just as much, which was why it inspired me to make this in the first place.
Last edited by Sytruan on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

I think it's more of a limitation of the engine than my computer, I have a Quadcore 2.83 GHz CPU. By no means great, especially nowadays, but it's hardly a clunker and can play modern games without skipping a beat.
mentha

Post by mentha »

this is a very fun level and i'm glad you did this!
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Just gave this a try. It's as creepy as I remembered. Love the atmosphere and the creepy weapons. And those damn balloons, blooding hands and jumping skulls, gotta be my favorite. Definitely an underrated mod if not for the game-crashing bugs in the original. Thanks for making this!
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Sytruan wrote:The dormant enemy design I could try to take a look at, but if you had trouble getting far into the map, I'd consider lowering the difficulty. These enemies were designed to be difficult for the fast, agile, and arcade-like Doomguy, rather than the slow and tactical edge of HDGuy, not to mention the sadistic nature of the map's design.
I was actually playing on HD's "spooky" difficulty, which is extra-aggressive and deadly monsters but using the "easy" spawn-filter, so it wasn't so much enemy count that eventually did me in. The main problem is that you have to get practically in melee range to activate many of the enemies and they're invincible until you do, which nullifies the advantage of having a long gun. I think a small tweak to make activation line-of-sight instead of radius-based would be ideal.

8-)
Sytruan

Re: HAPPY TIME CIRCUS II: DUCT TAPED - v1.1!

Post by Sytruan »

Project has been updated! Following the stream by TerminusEst13, some issues were brought to my attention since I had a wider range of eyes looking at the project, so I've made changes to follow along with a few problems.

Changelog:

Code: Select all

Fluffy's meleedamage changed from 4 to 2
Bouncingclown's meleedamage changed from 3 to 2
Rapidly flashing sectors (called 'seizure lights' by the stream's chat) changed to the slower, transitional lighting effects of most other sectors.
An ambush or two tweaked to be less brutal towards the player for seeking resources
All 3 SuperBerthas removed - many thought it was the final boss instead of going past it as they should have.
Made Pennywise fight spam enemies a bit less.
Randumb
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: HAPPY TIME CIRCUS II: DUCT TAPED - v1.1!

Post by Randumb »

I'm really glad you made this, but I still hate how the floating clown heads rising out of the abyss count as monsters...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”