NAKU-NARU - バンザイ! (V1.3 OUT NOW!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Do you Prefer The Type 99 Nambu or the Type 89 Howa?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Type 89
52%
Type 99
48%

Total votes: 21

Joblez_I
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: NAKU-NARU - バンザイ! (V1.1 OUT NOW!)

Post by Joblez_I »

D4N5T3P wrote:
Joblez_I wrote:Discovered a review of the mod that I found interesting. Unfortunately, it's in Russian, and I don't speak the language myself. Would anyone be able to give me the gist of the review? It seems quite intricate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bTfi1HAu2k
The author liked pretty much everything about mod, but he would want to see more supernatural powers for the main character like in demonsteele or high noon drifter. Also he hopes you won't abandon this project :wink:
Awesome, thank you for letting me know! I'm definitely gonna keep working on Naku-Naru. I'm glad he enjoyed the mod so much; I tried watching the review with auto-translated subtitles but I really didn't get anything he was saying, I got a lot more out of the images shown on-screen. I have also been considering ways I can bring out the supernatural themes of the protagonist into gameplay.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

I have an idea for supernatural powers. You can charge up spirit power and summon a ronin ghost companion with powerful attacks but he only lasts for a short time so use wisely.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Joblez_I wrote:
D4N5T3P wrote:
Joblez_I wrote:Discovered a review of the mod that I found interesting. Unfortunately, it's in Russian, and I don't speak the language myself. Would anyone be able to give me the gist of the review? It seems quite intricate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bTfi1HAu2k
The author liked pretty much everything about mod, but he would want to see more supernatural powers for the main character like in demonsteele or high noon drifter. Also he hopes you won't abandon this project :wink:
Awesome, thank you for letting me know! I'm definitely gonna keep working on Naku-Naru. I'm glad he enjoyed the mod so much; I tried watching the review with auto-translated subtitles but I really didn't get anything he was saying, I got a lot more out of the images shown on-screen. I have also been considering ways I can bring out the supernatural themes of the protagonist into gameplay.
You probably already know this kind of thing, but if it helps, thematically, Oni are typically associated with Earth and Metal, and by extension, Sarutihiko, the Okami (god) of earth, as well as with the Chinese Zodiac animals (the Bull and the Tiger specifically) and the direction of North-East. In other words, turning yourself into Iron, diving through the earth (no-clip?), having a Tetsubon (Chainsaw replacement), and throwing magical boulders, as well as spells related to protection and judgement, are more likely Oni powers than, say, fireballs.

Lore wise, it might be interesting for you to wonder why a literal Japanese demon is fighting demons.
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

Played extensively with a friend in coop, with DoomRL Monsters and a few mapwads.

Here's some feedback:
-Crescent staff, the long delay after using a combo by holding either fire or alt-fire makes this actually worse to use than just equipping a gun that can melee and spamming alt-fire. Right now the auto-swipe of the PM-9 renders this options pretty useless. Consider making it so it can combo infinitely if you hold the buttons.
-Type 26 having its own individual ammo type makes it fairly useless as most soldiers are more likely to drop PM-9 ammo, the damage feels pretty good but if you're going to keep the unique ammo for it I feel you could use a better revolver. Maybe some unorthodox upgrade that fires 2 bullets at once?
-Model 1887 could use a tighter spread, for a shotgun it deals good damage but the wide spread makes it lose face against other close-range damage dealers, such as the Nambu.
-Minebea PM-9, could use more bullets in the magazine, maybe dual-wield, or even a slight damage upgrade. It has a lot of bullets in the reserve, but its usefulness is limited in hectic fights because of the fairly short magazine and rather long reload time.
-Gustav M2, this feels great, got no complaints here.
-Arisaka feels good, decent power, can melee for decent damage, can sprint slightly faster with its charge attack. My previous suggestion stands though, it would be far more useful with as a sniper with an actual scope. The zoom function feels fairly useless as-is. Right now its biggest con is sharing an ammo type with Nambu.
-Nambu shares the ammo type with Arisaka, which means it hits a reserve cap of 180 bullets at most. That's not enough bullets, it has 30 bullets in the magazine and dishes out good damage, but sharing ammo means that you're sacrificing a lot of bullets for quick DPS when the same bullets could be used by the Arisaka at around 100 damage a pop vs the average 45 damage each shot of the Nambu does. It should have a larger pool for total bullets and maybe drop bullets more commonly.
-Yorick could use a tighter spread, at long ranges it tends to veer off-mark too frequently, and sometimes we just need that powerful snipe on a cyberdemon or to hit the doorway of a crowded room.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the screen fading, if you revive before the screen is fully faded you may wind up blind until you die and revive again after waiting the appropriate time. Might be best to either remove this effect or make it optional.
Joblez_I

Post by Joblez_I »

Fureyon wrote:Played extensively with a friend in coop, with DoomRL Monsters and a few mapwads.

Here's some feedback:
-Crescent staff, the long delay after using a combo by holding either fire or alt-fire makes this actually worse to use than just equipping a gun that can melee and spamming alt-fire. Right now the auto-swipe of the PM-9 renders this options pretty useless. Consider making it so it can combo infinitely if you hold the buttons.
-Type 26 having its own individual ammo type makes it fairly useless as most soldiers are more likely to drop PM-9 ammo, the damage feels pretty good but if you're going to keep the unique ammo for it I feel you could use a better revolver. Maybe some unorthodox upgrade that fires 2 bullets at once?
-Model 1887 could use a tighter spread, for a shotgun it deals good damage but the wide spread makes it lose face against other close-range damage dealers, such as the Nambu.
-Minebea PM-9, could use more bullets in the magazine, maybe dual-wield, or even a slight damage upgrade. It has a lot of bullets in the reserve, but its usefulness is limited in hectic fights because of the fairly short magazine and rather long reload time.
-Gustav M2, this feels great, got no complaints here.
-Arisaka feels good, decent power, can melee for decent damage, can sprint slightly faster with its charge attack. My previous suggestion stands though, it would be far more useful with as a sniper with an actual scope. The zoom function feels fairly useless as-is. Right now its biggest con is sharing an ammo type with Nambu.
-Nambu shares the ammo type with Arisaka, which means it hits a reserve cap of 180 bullets at most. That's not enough bullets, it has 30 bullets in the magazine and dishes out good damage, but sharing ammo means that you're sacrificing a lot of bullets for quick DPS when the same bullets could be used by the Arisaka at around 100 damage a pop vs the average 45 damage each shot of the Nambu does. It should have a larger pool for total bullets and maybe drop bullets more commonly.
-Yorick could use a tighter spread, at long ranges it tends to veer off-mark too frequently, and sometimes we just need that powerful snipe on a cyberdemon or to hit the doorway of a crowded room.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the screen fading, if you revive before the screen is fully faded you may wind up blind until you die and revive again after waiting the appropriate time. Might be best to either remove this effect or make it optional.
Thanks for this, some of these are present as changes in v1.2 so far, but some of these could be midigated through other means in my opinion. I increased the magazine sizes to the PM9 and the Nambu, upped the total size of the 7.7x58mm ammo to 280, and am currently working on ways to better balance ammo types. The Staff is still a WIP as far as the combos go, I have plans to expand it. Considering buffing the Type 26 to fire .38 instead of 9x22mmR, since there were .38 special conversions made during the interwar period. This could mean upping the damage and quantity. Also, tightened the shotgun's spread significantly for v1.2 as well. Honestly, the fade code is kinda archaic, I'm planning to make the fade way faster and to fix the revive time bug. Might make sense to make it an option as well, will consider it.
baddude1337

Post by baddude1337 »

Totally loving this gameplay mod! The weapons are super satisfying!

I actually quite like the Arisaka not having a scope, it’s rare to have an iron sighted bolt action rifle in a mod. Maybe use the built in anti air rifle sight, and increase the zoom a bit? One suggestion I do have if it is possible is having it reload via a stripper clip if totally empty for a quicker reload.

Really excited to see how you expand the mod! If you go down that route, weapon upgrades / usable items would be awesome.
Joblez_I

Post by Joblez_I »

Considering making two different versions of v1.2, since I'm considering making a major change to a weapon. Would you all be ok with this?
Important note as well: V1.2 is going to have some changes, but these are mostly quality-of-life improvements over major gameplay changes, this weapon will be the exception to the rule.
cybermeme

Post by cybermeme »

Joblez_I wrote:Considering making two different versions of v1.2, since I'm considering making a major change to a weapon. Would you all be ok with this?
Important note as well: V1.2 is going to have some changes, but these are mostly quality-of-life improvements over major gameplay changes, this weapon will be the exception to the rule.
maybe add an option to toggle between the two versions of the weapon?
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

Joblez_I wrote:Considering making two different versions of v1.2, since I'm considering making a major change to a weapon. Would you all be ok with this?
Yes, you can make a poll to see which version people prefer moving forward.
Joblez_I

Post by Joblez_I »

possible new weapon that i'm gonna make a toggleable option to use, the howa type 89 is designated to be an optional replacement for the Type 99 LMG, also changing the ammo that replaces the plasma cells from 7.7x58 to 5.56x45.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Why no type 100 flamethrower?? :< unleash the dragon might.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

eharper256 wrote:
You probably already know this kind of thing, but if it helps, thematically, Oni are typically associated with Earth and Metal, and by extension, Sarutihiko, the Okami (god) of earth, as well as with the Chinese Zodiac animals (the Bull and the Tiger specifically) and the direction of North-East. In other words, turning yourself into Iron, diving through the earth (no-clip?), having a Tetsubon (Chainsaw replacement), and throwing magical boulders, as well as spells related to protection and judgement, are more likely Oni powers than, say, fireballs.

Lore wise, it might be interesting for you to wonder why a literal Japanese demon is fighting demons.
I super agree with this, while I am LOVING the weapons and how they feel so far, having more mystical elements could add a few very interesting bits to the mod

Also, Eharper, what did you mean by Tetsubon? as all I get on google are teapots
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

Joblez_I wrote:
possible new weapon that i'm gonna make a toggleable option to use, the howa type 89 is designated to be an optional replacement for the Type 99 LMG, also changing the ammo that replaces the plasma cells from 7.7x58 to 5.56x45.
it definitely seems like a cool idea, but be weary of too many guns that are "me-too"
Joblez_I

Post by Joblez_I »

chronoteeth wrote:
Joblez_I wrote:
it definitely seems like a cool idea, but be weary of too many guns that are "me-too"
yeah, i can get that. honestly, for v 1.3, i just want to see which of the two people like more and people will use, since i've been debating whether to outright replace the type 99 nambu altogether or not. if more people enjoy the type 99 nambu, i'll keep it, if not, i'll just use the type 89 howa. v1.2 is more of a bugfix + "hey should i add these features or not?" update.
ShockwaveS08
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Managed to compress all of the mod's sounds into OGG format, shaving ~10MB off of the main file, and stuck the result onto Mediafire.

Have a look at it, and let me know if anything sounds screwy.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ao554vbxw ... G.pk3/file

Return to “Gameplay Mods”