FASTDOOM/FASTHRTC/FASTHEXN/FASTSTRF

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

FASTDOOM/FASTHRTC/FASTHEXN/FASTSTRF

Post by StroggVorbis »

I'm excited to present to you my first ever mod!

It all started out as a tiny DECORATE lump to double all the weapons' lower/raise speeds, hence the name.

It sort of grew from there, adding more things over time.

What this does?

All games:
Spoiler:
Doom, Heretic & Strife:
Spoiler:
Doom:
Spoiler:
Heretic:
Spoiler:
Hexen:
Spoiler:
Heretic & Hexen:
Spoiler:
Strife:
Spoiler:
Known Bugs:

Strife:
Spoiler:
Planned Features:
(some of which I may need help with)
Spoiler:
Recommended Mods:
(that go well along with this)
Spoiler:
Without further ado, here's the download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-tpHU ... uYskqFSblR

Looking forward to (constructive) criticism and future suggestions :3
Last edited by StroggVorbis on Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Re: FASTDOOM/FASTHRTC/FASTHEXN/FASTSTRF

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Saw this a while back, but didn't get a chance to play it until only recently.

I've only tried this with Heretic so far, since to me, the game needs very little in the way of mods to be enjoyable - same with Hexen.

I really only play my own mod for Doom 2, so with the fast weapon switching I have there, it always felt awkward when I would play anything else with such slow weapon swap speeds. Being that this is one of the core features of the mod, it's definitely a welcome change, and keeps action up at a faster pace than the vanilla experience. I also like how ammo has been balanced out, so there won't be such a surplus of late game ammo. This means that I no longer have to be so stingy with the Gold Wand in the earlier maps of episodes while constantly switching to the staff/gauntlets to conserve what limited resources I had. Inventory items are also something I can use more freely, now that they are carried over between maps. I'm one of those players who saves something in case I may need it later, but then end up never using it.

One of the features you listed for Heretic and Hexen is that keys are always shown on the map. Is there any particular reason for this? I sure don't mind, as it didn't affect my experience negatively or anything, but I was just curious.

So far, I've only reached E1M5 (The Citadel), but I've had fun, and although most of the features are subtle, as mentioned earlier they are a welcome change. I feel they should have been in the base game from the start!

I can't wait to try out Hexen with this! I never finished it properly when I first played it, since back then, I was big on using cheats for almost any game I played. Naturally, that means I just skipped a lot of maps or gave myself god mode and all weapons. Any other time I've played it, I never got around to finishing the hub that halted most players' progress - The Seven Portals. I am sure this mod will make things feel a lot more smooth, and I can finally finish Hexen the proper way.

The only thing I can think of adding/fixing is the attack for the regular Heretic imps (Non-leader type). Unless this is somehow just me, they aren't much of a threat as they could be on the higher difficulties, as they mostly just freeze in place. I assume they are trying to use their fireball attack, which they do not have access to? To clarify, this is not something that is a result of the mod - this also happens in the base game. I am not sure how you feel about modifying monsters in such a way, as this seems to be a mod that edits things lightly, but as of now, that is the only suggestion I can think of.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: FASTDOOM/FASTHRTC/FASTHEXN/FASTSTRF

Post by StroggVorbis »

Thanks for the kind remarks. About the keys being always shown on the map, well Heretic did this by default, but only on Easy difficulty. I figured this would be helpful to newcomers and for playing custom maps. I dunno if I can make it optional, as least not without duplicating the skill definitions. I just remembered there being a CVar for that, it's just that I forgot it.

Before you try Hexen, I wanted to link to this in the OP but forgot: there's a mod that disables monster respawning on every map. For me it was the only way to enjoy Hexen & Deathkings and it's the way I beat both. While Hexen doesn't normally feature a tally screen at the end of a hub, you can still see your statistics in the automap, alternative HUD, or with custom huds and mods and this would give people the incentive to try and 100% everything like they do in Doom & Heretic.

About the HereticImp. AFAIK it can only do a Lost Soul style charge which by itself deals no damage, to close in and hit you in melee distance with swipes. I thought about giving them, the ImpLeader, the Golem and NitroGolem a common species so they can't infight and maybe give them a palette swap to more easily differentiate them from a distance. Also thought about recycling the IWAD's assets or asking Not Jabba/the people who contributed the assets to The Wayfarer for permission, as many projectiles like Nitrogolem skulls lack impact sounds.

There's actually been a slew of changes since I first posted this mod, it's just that I couldn't get myself to update it and instead toy around for my own amusement. I might get the update ready tomorrow or in the following days, depending on my schedule and if I find some more bugs or ideas.

While I'm at it, I should also release the other mod I was talking about that allows you to use each IWAD's content across one another. Just haven't found a good name yet. Also feel free to help me give this here mod a better name than the current one too, I'm not very creative! :P

EDIT: Added the Hexen Respawn Script Disabler to the OP.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”