Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition v1.01 HOTFIX

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition [TESTERS WANTED!]

Post by Nash »

Sure, if someone can tell me a bulletproof way to algorithmically differentiate a bone monster and a robot. :P
Murix

Re: Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition [TESTERS WANTED!]

Post by Murix »

Was thinking more flag support for if a monster's code should have "tech junk" and metal bits should fly off it or not.
And not sure where the bone thing came from but as you told me elsewhere, just putting +NoBlood does the job at excluding a monster from this effect.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: Nash's Gore Mod: Vengeance Edition v1.0 OFFICIAL RELEASE

Post by drfrag »

Sadly (for some) it doesn't work with the vintage buid due to a syntax change i missed and i've just released 3.8.2 (but all that localization stuff is not really supported, it's hacked). That 'static Font OptionFont()' function always returns NewSmallFont so i don't get what it is for, i guess in the future it will allow other fonts. Changing 'OptionFont()' to 'NewSmallFont' makes it run. I've uploaded a "fix" but unfortunately it's too late.
Nash

Post by Nash »

drfrag wrote:Sadly (for some) it doesn't work with the vintage buid due to a syntax change i missed and i've just released 3.8.2 (but all that localization stuff is not really supported, it's hacked). That 'static Font OptionFont()' function always returns NewSmallFont so i don't get what it is for, i guess in the future it will allow other fonts. Changing 'OptionFont()' to 'NewSmallFont' makes it run. I've uploaded a "fix" but unfortunately it's too late.
Ah, sorry, I only support modern builds and have stated what the minimum engine requirement is on the OP.
Murix wrote:And not sure where the bone thing came from but as you told me elsewhere, just putting +NoBlood does the job at excluding a monster from this effect.
What my reply really meant was, there is no easy way - using 100% code/algorithm - whether a +NOBLOOD actor should spawn junk, bone debris, or even something else entirely. See, for example, the Strife robots have +NOBLOOD. But so do Revenants and Lost Souls in some mods.

I could MAYBE make yet another lump that lets users assign a blood FX type depending on class name, but they'd have to fill it in themselves. But I don't know, this kind of strays farther away from the "it just works" concept of the mod.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

There appears to be some sort of issue with blood effects not showing in GZDoom 4.1.3. With a fresh copy of GZDoom and a default config (with no other mods), everything else works (gibs, wall splats, blood pools, etc.), but whenever you shoot an enemy, the standard Doom blood impact is all that you'll see.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Tekish wrote:There appears to be some sort of issue with blood effects not showing in GZDoom 4.1.3. With a fresh copy of GZDoom and a default config (with no other mods), everything else works (gibs, wall splats, blood pools, etc.), but whenever you shoot an enemy, the standard Doom blood impact is all that you'll see.
Too little info. What other mods are you loading? Everything works here on my end, with mods.

Did you disable the blood effects in the Nashgore options menu? Make sure blood type and gib type is "Default".

I am an idiot. Please redownload the file from ModDB!
Last edited by Nash on Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

Like I said, I loaded it with no other mods, and all of the settings (including GZDoom's for testing purposes) are at their defaults.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Tekish wrote:Like I said, I loaded it with no other mods, and all of the settings (including GZDoom's for testing purposes) are at their defaults.
Ah dammit, I see what the problem is. Please redownload. Sorry about that!
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Yebudoom »

Nash, thank you for the update, it's already in my load order. I use Nashgore with almost everything (except Xim's Star Wars Mod, blood doesn't fit there). Keep up the good work, it's appreciated.

On a technical note: when mixed with Shades of Doom, which has a lot of custom blood colors (white, yellow, purple etc.), Nashgore usually gets the blood color right. But sometimes some monsters (and I don't mean Caco/Baron variants, bul lowly Imps/Pinkies) have two blood colors at the same time: red and their custom one, e.g. blue. Have you encountered something like this yourself? Is it fixable with BLUDTYPE.txt?

EDIT: I see mgtroyas already reported something like this on page 13, I must have missed it. But in my case, it's not only the blood pools on the flor, but all blood effects, including stains on the walls. The Shades of Doom monsters (well, some of them) just bleed two separate blood colors at once.
HUGEGUTS

Post by HUGEGUTS »

It was worth the wait. I can finally gib folks with point-blank SSG in peace. And the game doesn't start lagging later on at all!

The only bothersome thing left is blood spots staying on non-standard liquids, like AAliens' purple water or PL2's gray one. It'd be nice if they ignored ANY animated flat, just like decals don't appear on animated walls. Blood can't really stay still on surface that moves after all. Don't know if that's possible though.

By the way, I remember old version having separate liquid flats list in which you could add your own, but in v1.0 I can't find one. Is it gone?
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

There is a sprite conflict running this mod with Smooth Doom; sprites names must be the same as some of the Imp's fireball frames.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Neccronixis wrote:There is a sprite conflict running this mod with Smooth Doom; sprites names must be the same as some of the Imp's fireball frames.
I had the same issue when running it with RDND (random death n' decorations). The blood impact sprites have the same name as the imp fireball, so I switched the naming in nashgore from "BIMP" to "BLMP" via Slade. This ocurence is bound to be a case by case sort of thing.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Re sprite name collision:

Ugh, I wonder when will it ever end... frankly speaking, I am getting tired of being the submissive one and having to rename my sprites. Why not OTHER mods change their sprite names? :( I can't be doing this forever.

REALLY wish we had sprite namespaces... >_<

(I don't mean to diss other mods, this is not their fault. It's just that this problem happens too often and there's no long-term solution to this. SOMEONE has to give in and change their sprite name, and this is NOT a good solution)
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Nash wrote:Re sprite name collision:

Ugh, I wonder when will it ever end... frankly speaking, I am getting tired of being the submissive one and having to rename my sprites. Why not OTHER mods change their sprite names? :( I can't be doing this forever.

REALLY wish we had sprite namespaces... >_<

(I don't mean to diss other mods, this is not their fault. It's just that this problem happens too often and there's no long-term solution to this. SOMEONE has to give in and change their sprite name, and this is NOT a good solution)
Ran into this problem an ungodly amount of times. Finally sat down and renamed every single sprite in Shades of Doom following a system. I noticed a lot of sprites are named as abbreviation og what they are supposed to reprisent (the Slime Worm sprites are named WORMA#A#, for instance), using letters and only in very rare occasion numbers. So I gave them serial numbers instead. Since then I haven't run into sprite collisions.

Still this isn't a great solution. Both because this still doesn't eliminate the problem, and because renaming ~17000 sprites isn't all that fun... :roll:

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”