Some help uploading my first mod

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Some help uploading my first mod

Post by StroggVorbis »

I've been a member here for almost two years and since my birthday is in just two days I decided to finally get off my lazy ass and release something, even if it's not much.
I'd like to hear your opinions and experiences about the various file hosters, should I opt for Mediafire, DropBox, Google Drive or something else entirely?

Thx in advance, happy to be a part of this great community :)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Some help uploading my first mod

Post by Rachael »

DabbingSquidward wrote:I'd like to hear your opinions and experiences about the various file hosters, should I opt for Mediafire, DropBox, Google Drive or something else entirely?
In short: they all suck. The only difference between any and all of them is they suck differently, for different reasons, and to varying degrees.

But I have a tendency to prefer https://mega.nz/ mostly because it's convenient and quick, for me anyway.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you have a Google or Dropbox account, it won't get deleted, unlike most of the other hosts.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Github, Gitlab, and other code-hosting services are great because you can use both version control, host releases, some even have the ability to deploy static websites, wikis, etc. This is my preferred solution, personally. The "drawback" (?) is that you should be using it mostly for text files and not binaries or resources, since it's based around source code.

Google Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft Onedrive, or any other persistent personal file storage are best for plain binary file distribution, although it should be noted that dedicated file hosting is technically against their ToS (should only be a problem if you're using a lot of bandwidth). Mega is sort of in this range as well.

The bottom tier would be generic free anonymous file hosting services such as mediafire. They tend to delete old files, the upload limits and download speeds are often paltry, and they're usually riddled with ads and malware to try and cover their costs. If you want to use one of these you might as well pay for a premium account if you don't want dead links or poor hosting.

8-)
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Long overdue, but I'm finally getting around to it! Just noticed that I lack the permissions to create topics in Projects :lol:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

What part of Projects? Resources needs you to read and accept an agreement first before you can start topics in there, and Software needs at least three posts before the button appears, but I'm not aware of any other restrictions.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

I'm not seeing any NewTopic button :?

Edit: Nevermind, it's because I need to enter a subforum first :P
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Yeah if you click on the projects category you'll get a list of active topics. I did it that way because sometimes it's easier to get an overview to see what's hot right now, rather than having to sort through all "unread" posts.

In fact, most categories are like that - for example, development, will show all recently opened/replied-to bugs and feature requests, including closed ones, so that you can clear all 4 of the forums quickly for unread posts if you have to.

Return to “Off-Topic”