Xim's Star Wars Doom - Updated (MAY/4/2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Xim's Star Wars Doom

Post by armymen12002003 »

Also the Mancubus spawner breaks maps.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Hmm, maybe I might have to change Boba Fett to go back to the Pain Elemental.
armymen12002003

yea i had to noclip through certain maps.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Okay, I forgot to edit the death code for the Zero G Trooper, that's why. I tested it on Dead Simple and now it works, so it should work for other maps. Let me know if there are anymore issues.

EDIT : Still might need to fix enemies only version

EDIT 2 : Okay, both should be working now.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Did an update on the compatibility patches for Spacwars and DarkHour. Now Boba Fett won't spawn with the Zero G Trooper, this is to avoid him from appearing in the first level. For Space Wars he'll spawn with the Hectebus. A Mandalorian Bounty Hunter mini-boss is already featured in Darkest Hour, so there is no need for it to spawn with the Mancubus.
armymen12002003

Any chance of having doom 64 hands and the doom 64 guy player sprites to replace the current player sprites of course as and addon.
Xim

Post by Xim »

I might at least do Doom 1/2 hands, if it's easy enough to do 64 hands I might do that too.
Darman Macray

Post by Darman Macray »

I love the newest update! The new rocket troopers and walking-Boba are really cool, as are the bowcaster trails :D
Darman Macray

Post by Darman Macray »

I just noticed 2 things:

1. When zooming with the sniper rifle, unzooming will sometimes result in automatically switching to the thermal detonator, which can kind of suck when in the middle of combat. EDIT: This occurs when you unzoom after altfiring the sniper rifle.

2. The texture that replaces the green toxic waste waterfall is a different color than the new pools of toxic waste, which can lead to some odd looking effects when a green waterfall leads into a brown pool of star wars toxic waste.
Attachments
Taken from Freedoom E1M1
Taken from Freedoom E1M1
Screenshot_Doom_20190706_141749.png (133.52 KiB) Viewed 849 times
Xim

Post by Xim »

Okay fixed those, thanks for pointing it out. I also updated a couple other things as usual. Just re-download in the first post.
Spoiler:
Darman Macray

Post by Darman Macray »

Yay for updates!

I just noticed another thing. Certain button textures appear as a weird looking wire pattern thing before being pressed. This can happen for any type of switch. It will turn into the correct texture after you interact with it, but in the case of certain switches such as elevators that unswitch themselves after being pressed, it will revert to the weird/wrong texture once more.
Attachments
Taken from Hell Revealed Map06
Taken from Hell Revealed Map06
Screenshot_Doom_20190710_174352.png (124.2 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Xim

Post by Xim »

Yeah I've been trying to fix that. I'm not quite sure how making hi-res textures work to be honest. I thought I had them at a correct size, but it still doesn't seem to work.
Darman Macray

Post by Darman Macray »

Youch. I hope you can find a fix. It's not the biggest deal, though. I've just been roleplaying that Kyle is highlighting certain switches with his force sense that might otherwise be hard to see.

The updated texture addon is exquisite, by the way. The change from waste to acid looks very nice. Also the addition of having splash sounds unique to lava, acid and water, as well as details like thermal detonators melting when thrown into acid are features I never knew I wanted.

This mod just continues to be truly excellent. Thank you for taking the time to continue to add and improve on so much of an already kickass project :D
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

I am quite enjoying this, well done.

@Xim There are a few things I hope you might consider for the next iteration:

(1) There are a lot of good maps out there for Doom, and I tend to prefer Doom's mapping style to Doom2's. Apart from the lack of Doom2 specific things like bossbrains (and one can summon Palpatine anyway via the console), this seems to work OK with Doom and it was easy to duplicate D_DM2TTL and D_DM2INT with their Doom names so that the mod works with both. Would it be possible for duplicate music lumps to be included in the next version?

(2) Just curious, but what are the SIDIOUS and STARSONG music lumps for? I can't find any reference to them in any of the scripts in the mod.

(3) Please can the DECORATE and other text lumps have a ".txt" extension? Most archiving utilities on Windows will likely choke because - for example DECORATE - is used both as the name of a directory and of a file in the same subdirectory level. IZArc can't handle this, for one. I imagine you developed this on Linux, as the casing of the names is different in the PK3 files, so that would have worked there. Yes, I know that is only of interest to modders wanting to take a look at it or doing mods to it themselves (e.g., music lumps), but it is a thing.

Other than that, it seems pretty much complete :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

MartinHowe wrote:(3) Please can the DECORATE and other text lumps have a ".txt" extension? Most archiving utilities on Windows will likely choke because - for example DECORATE - is used both as the name of a directory and of a file in the same subdirectory level. IZArc can't handle this, for one. I imagine you developed this on Linux, as the casing of the names is different in the PK3 files.
At the risk of being a little off-topicy, yes, I fully agree. There are so many mods out there where the lumps inside the PK3 (not just text lumps, any lumps) do not have extensions or have weird/wrong extensions. Unless you open the PK3 with a dedicated Doom tool (i.e. Slade), it becomes far more difficult to explore specific lumps because the clue needed as to their format (i.e. file extension) isn't there.

For example, I open a sprites folder inside a PK3 using 7-zip (PK3s are associated with 7-zip on my machine) and see a mixture of items with no extension, .LMP as an extension and .PNG as an extension. I can only double-click the .PNGs to get them to open for a quick inspection but I want to look at the others. I then close 7-zip and open the PK3 in Slade and find that all of the files were PNGs anyway (or maybe they weren't or maybe there is a mixture of formats). Basically, it means that only Slade can work with the files whereas, with better naming conventions, any tool able to open a PK3 (I still hate that name for Doom compressed archives BTW) is pretty useless once the file is open.

And don't get me started with all those "helpful" empty lumps called something like "--------" that people insert into their files to separate sections but which all get sorted to the top of the list in most archive explorers.

Right, back to Xim's Star Wars Doom - still a great mod. :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”