Option to change aspect ratio of menu background images [split]

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Option to change aspect ratio of menu background images [split]

Postby Malice » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:More like some really old assumptions about it is supposed to behave.

??????????????
Malice
Banned User

Re: Option to change aspect ratio of menu background images

Postby Rachael » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:39 pm

How much do we really need to spell it out for you?

This would've been done already if it were as easy as you think it is. There's a lot of really bad and old code that is making assumptions about the game that it shouldn't be, and that's what is holding this back.

But hey, if it's so easy for you, you're free to submit a PR.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Malice » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:04 am

Rachael wrote:How much do we really need to spell it out for you?

This would've been done already if it were as easy as you think it is. There's a lot of really bad and old code that is making assumptions about the game that it shouldn't be, and that's what is holding this back.

But hey, if it's so easy for you, you're free to submit a PR.

I never said it would be easy. Delusionally putting words in my mouth doesn't prove your point any better and doesn't change the fact that this is a limiting factor/something that with a simple search shows many building WADs not still running a 486 would like a scaling option to fix unsightly black bars.

If you want a pleasant constructive conversation regarding the issue then you might want to add a little more then an ambiguous single sentence reply.
Malice
Banned User

Postby Rachael » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:58 am

You're completely missing the point: You're not the only one who wants this, and if not for the presumptive way the graphic screens were coded this would've been done already.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby Malice » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:58 pm

Rachael wrote:You're completely missing the point: You're not the only one who wants this, and if not for the presumptive way the graphic screens were coded this would've been done already.

You assume a lot. No point was missed. I was simply looking for further elaboration because you know, generic one sentence responses...

Either way, it looks like this has some traction now so I will be patient. My intent was only to bring this to the attention of those that can officially make changes, nothing more.

Cheers.
Malice
Banned User

Postby Malice » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 pm

Has the newest GZDoom been updated with this fix?
Malice
Banned User

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:54 pm

No
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer

Postby wildweasel » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Malice wrote:Has the newest GZDoom been updated with this fix?

Well, it's still sitting in Feature Suggestions with no [Added] or [No] tags on it, so probably it should be assumed not yet.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Rachael » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:00 pm

And getting impatient about it doesn't make it happen any faster...
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby Malice » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:07 am

Rachael wrote:

And getting impatient about it doesn't make it happen any faster...

Maybe provide more clarification on how the workflow around here is done then. I wouldn't call 12 days (almost 2 weeks) "being impatient"...

A simple, "No we haven't got around to it yet" would suffice.
Malice
Banned User

Postby wildweasel » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:28 am

Malice wrote:Maybe provide more clarification on how the workflow around here is done then. I wouldn't call 12 days (almost 2 weeks) "being impatient"...

We're hardly a corporation with a rigidly defined structure of work shifts. The best I can offer you is a look at the commits log at Github; that's the easiest way to see what the currently active developers have been doing. At present, the most recent entries all appear to be related to localization and text.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Rachael » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:58 am

Malice wrote:Maybe provide more clarification on how the workflow around here is done then. I wouldn't call 12 days (almost 2 weeks) "being impatient"...

No - we owe you nothing.

And boy you seem to have an intense interest in "correcting" me on every single one of my posts. It's actually kind of funny what must be going through your mind to be that laser focused on lil' ol' me, and how easy it is to trigger and upset you. :P And kind of pathetic. I bet you'll come up with some silly ridiculous excuse for this, too, or pathetically try to play it off like it's nothing, or at least find some way to frame it so that you're a poor sweet innocent little child who's just getting attacked by grumpy old me. And in the end, what would you really accomplish besides making a fool of yourself, just like everyone else who has tried the same routine did?

Back on topic, though - if you want the feature faster, learn some C++ and do it yourself.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:58 am

If you're so impatient you can try and finish my work for me, here's the branch (on the first commit for it I added some comments on what's left to do). Otherwise, please keep waiting warmly. I maintain a lot of projects so my work isn't very fast.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Magician

Discord: Marisa Kirisame#4689
Twitch ID: magusmarisa
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

Postby Malice » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Rachael wrote:

No - we owe you nothing.

And boy you seem to have an intense interest in "correcting" me on every single one of my posts. It's actually kind of funny what must be going through your mind to be that laser focused on lil' ol' me, and how easy it is to trigger and upset you. :P And kind of pathetic. I bet you'll come up with some silly ridiculous excuse for this, too, or pathetically try to play it off like it's nothing, or at least find some way to frame it so that you're a poor sweet innocent little child who's just getting attacked by grumpy old me. And in the end, what would you really accomplish besides making a fool of yourself, just like everyone else who has tried the same routine did?

Back on topic, though - if you want the feature faster, learn some C++ and do it yourself.

I know you have some self fulfilling prophecy to make everything about you but quite honestly I could care less about a user name on the internet. I proposed a very long overdue addition which many people (not just myself) have been looking for which looked to have interest and then radio silence not long after. God forbid I should ask for an update on the status 12 days after the fact. What a poor miserable peasant I must be asking a simple question. There's no issue with patience on my end but rather your piss poor entitled attitude where you think no one else around here knows how to do javascript or some basic variant of C. Your knowledge on the subject is clearly a god given gift that should be held on the highest of pedestals.

Either way, If you would prefer that your clearly very precious and highly regarded time not be wasted with a question on the status of an update, then again I reaffirm my previous stance on clarifying the workflow process or better yet, if you would like a constructive conversation to which I would be willing to contribute to, heed the advice of not throwing stones from glass houses. If you give a smartass reply then you will receive one in return snowflake.
Malice
Banned User

Postby Malice » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:26 pm

wildweasel wrote:

We're hardly a corporation with a rigidly defined structure of work shifts. The best I can offer you is a look at the commits log at Github; that's the easiest way to see what the currently active developers have been doing. At present, the most recent entries all appear to be related to localization and text.

Cheers. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Malice
Banned User

Next

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness