GZDoom's framerate issues (Can't play any farther?)

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
CSSLZT13
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

GZDoom's framerate issues (Can't play any farther?)

Post by CSSLZT13 »

Hello, I'm here to ask about an issue I began having recently. The mod list I'm running is this:

Doom 2 Reloaded
LegenDoom
DoomRL Arsenal
DoomRL Monsters
Bolognese Gore
Running on GZDoom 4.1.3

So i'm playing normally, right? I get all the way up to passing the super-secret level (32) to get to level 16. Only thing is, upon loading this level, there is HEAVY lag -- framerate drops into single digits and makes the game unplayable. Was able to teleport out of that level (thanks to mod), and it worked fine. Funny thing is, I started a new game, skipped to level 16... and the framerate was fine. It's just when I load my save data for that level, when the framerate tanks. My computer specs are this:

Windows 10 64-bit
AMD FX 8350
Radeon RX 580
16 GB DDR3 RAM
2 SSD's, 1 HDD
750-W PSU

I'm not sure if it's the map pack, the mods, GZDoom, or my computer being a jerk. Only thing I know is, now, upon loading a new game, the framerate is not as smooth as it was before. I'm just confused, as this just started happening in the middle of gaming, and now I can't seem to resolve it. If anyone knows what to do, I'd be very appreciative! :mrgreen:
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: GZDoom's framerate issues (Can't play any farther?)

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's probably one of the mods. Apparently something in MAP16 makes it run slowly.
You can open the console and type 'stat think'. If that number goes high it's a strong indicator for some badly coded actor.
If that doesn't show anything type 'stat rendertimes' and look for some abnormally large number there.
CSSLZT13

Post by CSSLZT13 »

So I will admit to having no idea as to what a high think time or other stat would look like -- I mean, by comparison? Yeah, uh, I captured screenshots of the stats to see if you can make sense of them.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1784531030
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1784531073

I'm guessing the "2D" stat or the "Finish" stat looks kinda high, but I can't be sure. So hopefully, these links are okay, heh. Thanks for your prompt reply!
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Think time is really high. So yeah, this is way too heavy actors case.
You can do profilethinkers 8 10 in console to get a list of ten most time consuming classes.
CSSLZT13

Post by CSSLZT13 »

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1785708423

So I ran the action in the console as per instruction, and... Well, at the top of the list is a single 'call' called "ACSThinker," taking up, like, 35 where the rest were doing just fractions. I... don't think this is supposed to be like this, is it? Heh. Again, thanks for quick response! :D
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

More than likely it is some problem with DoomRPG; you failed to specify it in your list of mods, but I see it in your screenshot. For some reason, DoomRPG slowly breaks down over time; the longer it's played, the slower things perform, or the greater the chance you'll see most of the scripts terminate for no reason. Though it isn't exclusively DoomRPG's fault, it is probably exacerbated by all the other stuff being loaded as well.
CSSLZT13

Post by CSSLZT13 »

wildweasel wrote:More than likely it is some problem with DoomRPG; you failed to specify it in your list of mods, but I see it in your screenshot. For some reason, DoomRPG slowly breaks down over time; the longer it's played, the slower things perform, or the greater the chance you'll see most of the scripts terminate for no reason. Though it isn't exclusively DoomRPG's fault, it is probably exacerbated by all the other stuff being loaded as well.
OMG WOW I am so DERP! Er, Sorry for failing to mention DoomRPG in there with the mods, too! It was an oversight, I swear! I think since the way it loads up kind of reminds me of ZDL, that's probably why it failed to register in my head, heh. So sorry!

But yeah, I was hoping to try some other things to accompany the mod. You are right about the mod doing weird stuff as it goes on -- no joke, that level 16 random slowdown is a second playthrough with the same mods after the first playthrough glitched out around level 14 or so. Thought it was because I loaded the mods incorrectly, and to be honest, I got better results this time around... until level 16. Doy, sorry for wasting your time, guys! If anything, thanks for the prompt replies, I understand I probably shouldn't have pushed it so hard, heh.
Sumwunn

Post by Sumwunn »

Hey if you still have that save, could you type "acsprofile" into the console please?

Just curious to see which script is causing the lag.
CSSLZT13

Post by CSSLZT13 »

Sure do! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1788506894 Here ya go! Hope this helps!
Assassin of Purity

Post by Assassin of Purity »

Maybe it was by the version of GZ you were using? Probably one of the mods. Your PC is advanced, right?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them

Post by wildweasel »

CSSLZT13 wrote:Sure do! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1788506894 Here ya go! Hope this helps!
Well, a cursory examination shows me that it's the dynamic loot generator script - for some reason, that script is going absolutely berserk (notice how the Total number is significantly larger than anything else).
Assassin of Purity wrote:Maybe it was by the version of GZ you were using? Probably one of the mods. Your PC is advanced, right?
This really, really doesn't help solve the problem; we've been through these questions before in the rest of the thread. Now's the time for critical thinking, not spitballing and guesswork.
Sumwunn

Post by Sumwunn »

Yeah that script has gone mad for sure.

I just remembered something that might shed further light.
Add +drpg_debug 1 to your gzdoom command line then load your save. It should say in the console or on the screen what the script is spawning so much of.
If you don't know how to do the command line thingy. Load your save, open the console, type the above command, then load your save again.

Thanks!
CSSLZT13

Post by CSSLZT13 »

Return to “Technical Issues”