Project: Kate. (v1.1)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Project: Kate. (v1.1)

Post by Jimmy »

I would very much like to thank each and every one of you, from very deep down, for taking the time to play this.

May Kate's memory never die.
thewolfman00001

Post by thewolfman00001 »

Indeed <3
will183
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by will183 »

I only recently have joined the DooM community so i never really knew who she was. but she sounds nice. Sorry for your loss.
CSSLZT13
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by CSSLZT13 »

Not gonna lie, if it weren't for the recent bumps to this topic thread, putting it in the top pages once again, I likely would not have known the existence of this mapset. The only other reference to Kate I've seen is the small dedication to her when booting up the Lithium mod.

I'm not trying to be a dick and I apologize if I seem like it. Let me follow this thought up with my official review of the mapset: It's friggin' brilliant. I don't think I've played Doom with vanilla mechanics in so long, but I'm so glad I did, as this mapset is a testament to the awesomeness that was Kate. I admit, I didn't know her. Like, at all. I came into this community pretty late -- probably too late to know her, really. And yet, this mapset touched me right from the very beginning -- no, seriously, I squealed in delight when I recognized the midi song from the first level! The difficulty spikes, the little design choices, the enemy/weapon placements, the themes -- it all ties together very nicely into a compressed mini-episode of tough, but possible encounters that pushed me to see the end of this mapset through. The archvile trick didn't make sense to me at first, but afterward, it seemed so obvious, LOL. And that ending is PERFECT.
Spoiler:
I have yet to find the secret in the last episode, but I'm planning on revisiting it today and finding it -- I'm sure it won't play shredding solos with my heart strings, no, not at all! Heh.

All in all, a touching, fitting tribute to someone who was likely one of the strongest pillars of support this community has seen. At least from where I'm sitting, anyway. When I get home, I'm going to look up some of her past work -- that Pokemon mod sounds like fun, LOL! Rest in peace and awesomeness, Kate -- you will definitely be missed.

Return to “Levels”