Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Captain J »

Oh... Well, that's a super shame. But at least i managed to shorten the translation of Hexen's MNU_CHOOSECLASS, also translated all the Blackbird's Dialogues! It's updated yet again and tell me if they're all ready to go.
Last edited by Captain J on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Graf Zahl wrote:The player class names are unfortunately screwed up. The property that should be used for the translated name is also being used for identification, making it impossible to translate.
I think that means it's time to introduce a new name property (or perhaps "Tag" can simply be reused?) that will be actually what's translated and displayed. And the "displayname" property becomes a deprecated alias for something like "idname".
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Yeah, I kinda agree with Gez here. It was pretty insane to do it the way it did in the first place, and that made absolutely no sense to me. I was shocked to find that in my CVAR configuration that it did that.

While the damage here has already been done, it's not too late at least to introduce an alternate property to change how it's shown in the menu.

Or better yet - revamp it completely (who really actually cares what their PlayerClass cvar says, anyway? I'm sure someone does but it's less than a 5 minute job to fix it after this proposal anyway) so that it's done by class name and then the display name is free to be changed to something else anyhow. What would be getting in the way of doing that, instead?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If it was just the CVar... :?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Just fixed Strife's TXT_SUB_LOG88, TXT_DLG_SCRIPT02_D7580_ALLRI, TXT_RNO3_SCRIPT02_D9096_MAYBE, TXT_DLG_SCRIPT02_D80348_IHAVE and TXT_ILOG2, the part informing Governor's Mansion and a Flamethrower.

EDIT: Power Coupling, Tap etc... Makes me a bit confusing, but i managed to make it less confusing!

EDIT 2: Oh my goodness gracious... I think we have a problem here. Do we need another small fonts for the Popup or is it just me?
Screenshot_Strife_20190624_150921.png
EDIT 3: Corrected Sammis' TXT_DLG_SCRIPT04_D51544_IFITS. I mean, he's mentioning about the Screen and there were no Monitors nor Windows. I bet he was talking about the Filters moving up and down.

EDIT 4: Corrected the name of Strife's TXT_STRIFE_MAP18, AREA 18: Fortress: Stores. It was, for some reason, translated to 상점가... Although the word "Stores" also means Storage.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Since not much is happening anymore here, I think it's time to end this project. I won't keep anyone from completing the started languages, but I do not think it makes sense to start new ones anymore because so many languages are still incomplete.

The only thing I'd really need is the Polish fonts, because that language is complete, except parts of the Strife dialogue, so it could be activated in the menu - if the fonts were available. Without font support it makes little sense, though.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I’ll ask Jimmy to help me with the Polish BIGFONTs while I do the SMALLFONT.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Uhh yeah, about that. What are we gonna do with the invisible korean strife fonts? Is this able to be fixed or? And sure, it's taking too long and needs to be concluded somehow. But we still can contribute to the project despite it's already over. No?

Thanks in advance, and advice.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

What invisible Korean Strife fonts? Normally, for Korean it should fall back on the VGA font everywhere. If it doesn't that's a bug.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

It’s right above. The Korean font doesn’t render in the key screen.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Oh, that stupid ultra-small font in Strife. :?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Well, yeah. I was keep talking about it. It was hard to describe, but Undead explained it super Crystal-Clear. So my question is, is this an easy task? Can be solved by replacing the font of key screen?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

What I actually wanted to do here was to add an overlay screen like for the log. The way this screen is coded a font replacement is not feasible.
I never got to making that overlay, though.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Well... I hope there's a way to fix this. I don't want to demand or anything, but looks really empty without the key descriptions. All of it.

Anyway, just filled the missing part of Strife's TXT_SUB_LOG28. Was an Oversight. Also fixed some still-awkward dialogues.
Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xeotroid »

I've started fixing and translating the strings into Czech, some of the existing ones were... not stellar, to say the least (Ice Hold was translated as Ice Holder, and Shadow Wood was taken very literally, but kudos to some of the Heretic names and Spawning Vats). So far, I've only done the level names (Ooh, looking through three Bible translations for E4), D1 and D2 text screens (those were redone), and Hexen ACS messages, but I'm quite hyped for the Strife localisation, I wanted to do that a few years ago when it wasn't possible without editing the maps (I think) and when my English skills were a bit more terrible than they are now. I'm still not satisfied with the game and episode names, they don't really sound natural, but we'll see.
Here is the edited table:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... niw6ifxgpd

Return to “Developer Blog”