DOOM Tribute Project - UPDATE: Vanilla Monsters Add-On

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Thedarkcube

Re: DOOM Tribute Project (ALT SOUNDTRACK AVAILABLE)

Post by Thedarkcube »

Is there a "monsters only" version of this? I Really liked those monster variants and I wanted to use them with maps of chaos
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Thedarkcube wrote:Is there a "monsters only" version of this? I Really liked those monster variants and I wanted to use them with maps of chaos
Do you really have to double-post? Maybe if you PM'ed the thread starter he may give you a direct answer.
Thedarkcube

Post by Thedarkcube »

0mrcynic0 wrote:
Thedarkcube wrote:Is there a "monsters only" version of this? I Really liked those monster variants and I wanted to use them with maps of chaos
Do you really have to double-post? Maybe if you PM'ed the thread starter he may give you a direct answer.
It was a accident when I was trying to edit my post...sorry
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@drfrag - I'm glad you've enjoyed it :)

@Thedarkcube - I don't have a stand alone wad that would be like a monster randomizer, however, the wad that contains the enemies are within the pk3 file. If you wanted to extract that wad file and create a randomized monster spawner for it, you can do so if you'd like :)

-Alando1
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Yeah, superb stuff. Also I like the weapons mod a lot. BTW i meant better than BD that was a typo, even when i maintain my own Brutal thing version. :)
Thedarkcube

Post by Thedarkcube »

Alando1 wrote:@drfrag - I'm glad you've enjoyed it :)

@Thedarkcube - I don't have a stand alone wad that would be like a monster randomizer, however, the wad that contains the enemies are within the pk3 file. If you wanted to extract that wad file and create a randomized monster spawner for it, you can do so if you'd like :)

-Alando1
I don't know how to do it. I'm playing doom on mobile since I don't actually have a pc so I don't even know if it is possible to extract a wad through my phone
DoomCATO

Post by DoomCATO »

Is there a "Map Only" version for this. Cause I'm trying to run some mods like Project Brutality but there are some bugs with the monsters.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

I'm in support of the map only query. I might poke around and see if it's possible to make myself, but if they're integrated too tightly, I don't want to spoil things for myself either.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@DoomCATO & Drake Raider - Hi guys. There isn't a map only version of the DOOM Tribute Project, however, I understand why you are concerned. Lately, YouTuber Zdenda1990 has been playing the wad and many are curious if it is compatible with Brutal Doom or any other weapon/enemy wads. The thing is, if you wanted to play with a custom weapons mod, you technically can. What you would have to do, though, is remove the weapons wad in the doomtrib.pk3. After doing so, you'll be able to play with any weapon wad. For Brutal Doom or an enemy replacement mod, this is a different story... I have a bunch of custom enemies within each of the levels and it would be a gargantuan task to re-edit each and every level just so it can be compatible with Brutal Doom. I do not see myself making an alternate version of the DOOM Tribute Project anytime soon. My schedule these days have been quite busy. I do hope you can still enjoy the DOOM Tribute Project even though it might be limited with mod compatibility.

Thank you.

-Alando1
SLON
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SLON »

Frankly, I still think that a little polishing does not hurt. Namely:
Add trees at city levels. Seriously, without it they are very empty.
Replace the textures of the houses from downtown, which is not in Doom/Duke 3D/Shadow Warrior style. For they just do not fit.
Finally, I would like to return the Unholy Cathedral and Map 27. They are really cool.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@SLON - In the future maybe. Your idea about adding in trees, this would work well in the Suburbs remake and maybe even the Mansion. I have thought about doing other level remakes that didn't make the cut in the project. Unholy Cathedral is certainly one which would be interesting to do. Monster Condo from Doom 2, the Mansion technically was a simplified version of it, however, I wouldn't mind doing a level that pays more tribute to the original. The DOOM Tribute Project won't be getting any updates anytime soon due to the lack of time. Thank you for your feedback :)

-Alando1
Solus

Post by Solus »

Hi Alando1!
You've created a gem! I'm playing 3rd time in row because I love it!
It's really the story retold. I like that there is a mix of tribute levels and levels of your own creativity.
The enemies are awesome! And has women. Awesome! And scientists.
I love the dual wielding pistols. Really nice idea! I like to kill the possessed humans with them, instead of the chaingun. It takes a bit longer and it's harder but has style. 8-)
What a great idea you had for a DooM project! Congratulations, to me, this is one of best the mods I found this year.
I find DooM Tribute Project harder then the original levels. Boy, I had a hard time figuring out the Icon of Sin level. Really great idea and it's really hard. If in the original level is hard and I have to be fast, with your version I've got to be a Superman: faster then a speeding bullet.
It's such a shame it gives a lot of work making the project compatible with mods like Brutal DooM, Project Brutality or Colorful Hell. I really love the combination of Trailblazer with Colorful Hell! I would love to try this mods with your level design... If you don't have the time, maybe some mod developer here in community could do it, with your authorization.
Anyway, I hope in the future you have time and the desire to do more projects like this. I would really like to play more of your work! :wink:
Dr. Shotgun

Post by Dr. Shotgun »

Despite the text file saying zdoom 2.7 and up should work, I can confirm that it doesn't.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

This is actually quite good. I appreciate the tasteful allocation of weapons, and the enemy variety is really nice. I really like seeing all the variants, though it does catch me off guard getting shotgun blasted by a green-haired guy... but in a good way!
Droober

Post by Droober »

I literally just registered on the forums to say; Thank you for this amazing wad!

The variety of weapons and monsters go alongside each other perfectly! It's a very fun experience with each level and gear progression moving ever so smoothly.

At first when i got this wad and tried to boot it with Doom 4 - Vanilla weapons/monster pack i was kinda bummed that the monsters and weapons were in a bit of a flinch.

So i decided to play the base wad with a cosmetic doom footsteps.wad file and i don't regret a thing! It both plays and feels like a true Doom tribute project!

It even inspires me to maybe start making doom maps and contribute to the community as best as i can.

I'm still playing this wad, haven't entirely finished it but so far i'm loving it. Absolutely loving it. It brings many fond memories back!

Note: Yes, i'm a new forum user! Glad to be a part of this wonderful community. Nice to meet you all Doomers. :D

Return to “Levels”