[WIP] Might & Magic VII in DOOM

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ZDL_800

Re: [WIP] Might & Magic VII in DOOM

Post by ZDL_800 »

Hello,

First I would like to say thankyou for this great game, its brilliant.

Having a few troubles, basically the options setting fonts are all squashed onscreen? I cant see anything because they are all overlapped? We did try to scale the HUD but it doesn't effect the options settings?

Its a bit too dark without a torch of somesort? May I ask is there actually a torch in this game? Something along the lines of the Brutal Hexen RPG mod has a brilliant torch which needs fuel to keep alight, just wondering if there is no torch in this game could it be possible to implement the torch and fuel? You could buy the torch fuel at the shop if needs be without spawning the fuel ingame?

Going through doors ie the first door ingame leading to the cellar lags the game really bad? Seems to autosave everytime you go though a door? is there anyway to disable autosave? I'm sure it would load the next scene much faster.

Thanks again.
biopharmer

Post by biopharmer »

Holy crap I love this, I've been wanting some sort of way to make new Might and Magic 6/7/8 style games and this would be an awesome way to do it
Are there any huge limitations that might prevent potential 1:1 6/7/8 style games?
I'm excited to see what you do!
biopharmer

Post by biopharmer »

ZDL_800 wrote:Going through doors ie the first door ingame leading to the cellar lags the game really bad? Seems to autosave everytime you go though a door? is there anyway to disable autosave? I'm sure it would load the next scene much faster.
I think that's the behavior of the original games. I guess MM6/7/8 just saved a lot faster.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any way to disable the autosave function on this mod?

Thanks again.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I am almost certain that autosave thing is a default G/Zdoom feature because it happens in all mods and games that use hubs.
rayburn

Post by rayburn »

I guess I'll add to the resources of this topic.
Here's a bash script that automatically renames Might & Magic monster sprites into Doom-compatible names. No sprite flipping required!
In case you ever want to port a lot of Might & Magic creatures into ZDoom. It has minor issues (like it doesn't understand that sprite with only one rotation must have 0 instead of 1 in it's name), but otherwise it works perfectly and already saved me lots of hours of work:
Spoiler:
Input for script would look like:

Code: Select all

./script.sh m538 XYZ
Where m538 is name of sprite in MM and XYZ is three-letter name you want assigned to said sprite in ZDoom (fourth letter reserved for animation type). You can also specify targetdir and destination.

And output will conveniently look like this:

Code: Select all

//DVLA ABCDEFGH atk
//DVLD ABCD death
//DVLX A corpse
//DVLN ABCDE pain
//DVLS A idle
//DVLW ABCDEFGH walk
//DVLF ABCDE special
Additionally, I'm working on Might & Magic monster replacer atm. It will have it's own thread in time.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”