Vulkan Inc. 1.5

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
vitriolicv

Re: Vulkan Inc. 1.5

Post by vitriolicv »

I'm only on like the third map of the first episode. I play slow, and I take things in, and there's a lot to take in. Lots of subtle architecture ideas I've really appreciated. And the BDLite base is pretty cool.

...but what are vulkoins for? The sound is pleasing. I am *compelled* to pick them up for that reason alone.

Also, I THINK I have occasionally noticed that the HUD and console messages for vulkoin pickups are inconsistent. Particularly, it seems as if one says I've picked up 3, and the other says 5.

I've also noticed there are what appear to be corrupted textures on a few consoles (like right after the "ore refinery" level announcement); I know there are some hell-surprise moments, so "corruption" makes sense, but this legitimately looks corrupted accidentally rather than intentionally.
NovaRain

Post by NovaRain »

Vulkoin is like a "score" collectable. If you collect all vulkoins in a map, you'll be rewarded with +50 to both health and armor.
And vulkoins with different colors have different values.

BTW, how to get the flak cannon behind the "please do not cheat" door in V1M5? It's not marked as a secret, so I thought it was an unused/cut area?
vitriolicv

Post by vitriolicv »

In Sealed Descent, the places where you're supposed to throw the coolant are less than obvious. I found my first coolant keg -- which the game font made me read as "coolant reg," which even further obfuscated its purpose; I thought maybe it meant I could go into hot places -- and then had no idea what to do, until I read this thread and saw the coolant mentioned. Might I suggest some kind of label or decal over the "coolant wells" that names them? "Coolant port" or "coolant well" or something? And maybe change "coolant keg" to "coolant barrel" for easier reading with this HUD font? (Or change how the K looks?)
vitriolicv

Post by vitriolicv »

I really hate Archviles, but you made the one in Sealed Descent a proper encounter with mechanics. Good job!
vitriolicv

Post by vitriolicv »

In V2M1 (can we only get to this from the console, or does it continue eventually after the credits after the railgunmancubusthing fight?), getting to the magazine increase powerup after the yellow keycard is ridiculously hard because of Doom's floaty movement. If you get stuck on a wall for half a second, that's it, you aren't going to make that jump. If the lift took an additional two seconds before raising, it would still be difficult enough: Most secrets should be about being observant, rather than having speedrunner tick-perfect reflexes, but having two more seconds to get there would still take some accuracy. Or even one more second would make it doable at my level of skill; I tried like 30 times making that loop, and every time, there was some imperfection of movement that was just beyond my ability to correct.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

vitriolicv wrote:In V2M1 (can we only get to this from the console, or does it continue eventually after the credits after the railgunmancubusthing fight?)
It's right there on the episode select as "Leaving Hell - Demo"
katarn11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by katarn11 »

I just finished playing through the first episode the and demo of the 2nd and I have to say that this was by far the MOST fun I've ever had playing custom DOOM content. I especially loved that hallucination / fever dream of E1M1 - That was fantastic! I seriously had an absolute blast and am looking forward to more. The level design also was incredible; I loved the need to find the coolant orbs to drop down the tubes; added a bit of adventure to the journey. Really really great job! Are there any plans for more with this project or a timeline?
Gez

Post by Gez »

DavidN wrote:This is a completely reworked version of the WAD "Vulkan" from 2017! It's called "Vulkan Inc" now to distinguish it from the renderer - yes, I spent a long time making sure no other WADs were called Vulkan and I overlooked that it was the name of an entire upcoming graphics engine.
Ad the people who made the Vulkan graphic library called it Vulkan with a k instead of Vulcan with a c to distinguish it from the original word, Vulcan with a c... :P
doby
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by doby »

Hi
Great job, I had plenty of fun playing episode 1. Finished with 'Hot' rank :P
I liked the vulcoins, that encourages finding secrets and exploring the map to get the juicy upgrades.
Some late levels are quite long (Sealed Descent for instance), although I did not feel lost.
Hmm, no BFG or did I miss it ? (the flak cannon is fun but nothing replaces the a good old BFG imo)
Can't wait the other episodes!
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Thanks to the new responders :D I'm really glad people are still finding this and enjoying it! After episode 1 I moved on to other projects mostly, but now that I've got more experience making content for GZDoom I would love to return to this some time and complete my planned 3 episodes - see what else I can do with the heavily customized content!

Return to “Levels”