Polyobjects

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Polyobjects

Postby Ostap » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:18 pm

It would be good if you would make polyobjects on which you could sit and move horizontally. Like on quake elevators. not only up and down. Back and forward
Ostap
 
Joined: 18 Jun 2018

Re: Polyobjects

Postby Kinsie » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:17 am

This has been wanted for quite a long time, but as with all things that would be cool, it's not necessarily that easy. Especially since polyobjects are strange and arcane creatures on account of how Raven implemented them in Hexen.
User avatar
Kinsie
A Concept Utterly Obsolete
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: Polyobjects

Postby Gez » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:34 am

Technically you can, but it's quite complex and, in fact, it's more complex than attempting to replicate the effect with an actor IIRC. Gooberman made some experimentations with the concept:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/prefabs/floordmo
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/prefabs/flordmo2
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/prefabs/flordmo3

Something that would be handled on the native side would probably be simpler to use for the average modder, but you need to find a developer willing to implement it...
Gez
 
 
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

Re: Polyobjects

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:41 am

With an actor and a 3D model, you can make the platform and all who are upon it do other things such as turning, tilting or rolling if programmed in ZScript correctly, though that's more advanced topics.

Stuff like that is impossible with map-made polyobjects.
User avatar
Major Cooke
Do unto others as you would have unto you. Judge yourself first.
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2007

Re: Polyobjects

Postby Cherno » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:12 pm

^This would only really work with rectangular objects which are also aligned along the world's xy axis, due to the way Doom handles actor hitboxes.
User avatar
Cherno
 
Joined: 06 Dec 2016

Re: Polyobjects

Postby Kinsie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:11 am

Gez wrote:Technically you can, but it's quite complex and, in fact, it's more complex than attempting to replicate the effect with an actor IIRC. Gooberman made some experimentations with the concept:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/prefabs/floordmo
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/prefabs/flordmo2
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/prefabs/flordmo3

Something that would be handled on the native side would probably be simpler to use for the average modder, but you need to find a developer willing to implement it...
I believe there are other hacky ways now, too, that basically involve creating a polyobject where one or more sides are portals, but this is buggy and will absolutely cause the engine developers to swear a blood-vendetta against you.
User avatar
Kinsie
A Concept Utterly Obsolete
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: Polyobjects

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:55 am

Cherno wrote:^This would only really work with rectangular objects which are also aligned along the world's xy axis, due to the way Doom handles actor hitboxes.


CanCollideWith virtual. You can basically define your own type of hitbox in a way using that, but it only works for actors and not actual map collision.
User avatar
Major Cooke
Do unto others as you would have unto you. Judge yourself first.
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2007

Re: Polyobjects

Postby Cherno » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:46 am

Major Cooke wrote:
Cherno wrote:^This would only really work with rectangular objects which are also aligned along the world's xy axis, due to the way Doom handles actor hitboxes.


CanCollideWith virtual. You can basically define your own type of hitbox in a way using that, but it only works for actors and not actual map collision.


I have used CanCollideWith in the past but I fail to see how it would help registering collisions of a, let's say, triangular or disk-shaped platform.
User avatar
Cherno
 
Joined: 06 Dec 2016

Re: Polyobjects

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:39 pm

If we're talking with actor-on-actor collision, it's fairly trivial to make one cylindrical or even spherical (by using Distance3DSquared instead of 2D). But again, only if it's actors doing the colliding. Naturally, you'll have to code the hitbox collision shape to match.

But if you're talking about actor-on-map geometry, yeah, that wouldn't work at all.
User avatar
Major Cooke
Do unto others as you would have unto you. Judge yourself first.
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2007


Return to Feature Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests