Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Korell

Re: Beautiful Doom pre-7 build 3f5db43 (May 31, 2019)

Post by Korell »

I have a decent machine and my shadows and particles and such are set to the default values. The previous version of Beautiful Doom (BDoom632a.pk3) runs just fine, but moving to this pre-build release introduces some minor framerate drops/stutter, noticeable in the first two levels, so not exactly with a lot going on either. Something is definitely up with it.
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

Is it related to floor/ceiling blood or gibs? In my quick testing without gibbing monsters the framerate stays around 240. But after gibbing 4+ monsters with SSG/RL I can see framerate getting cut in half when looking at all the remains.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Okay, I've tested it again, this time with VID_FPS set to true so that I can see if there is any actual framerate change rather than just the stuttering I'm getting. Playing the first three maps, it seems to happen when i see enemies for the first time, and then it goes away for the rest of the map. The framerate does drop a little, the lowest I saw was something like 87 when starting E1M3 opening the door and going around to the left side (regardless of whether or not you kill the enemies there), and goes right back up again after a very brief moment. However, I don't get this at all with BDoom632a.pk3, with the same place only going down to 194 frames per second.
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

This mod has great custom HUD, i love it. Can i request HUD only download?
Also few suggestions for HUD:
-berserk indicator like in GZDoom HUD
-optional grey box for doomguy mugshot
-non transparent HUD option
ngetal

Post by ngetal »

Zaratul wrote:Can i request HUD only download?
This would be sweet.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

FPS concerns are heard, I'll be testing it more. Please note, however, gibs have always been and will be the most expensive effect. There's isn't too much I can do it about it. (I'm considering an optional switch that will make gibs non-interactive — i.e. no resurrection effects, no pushing them around with AOE damage — that might improve things, but no promises for now.) There are some other things, however, that could probably be improved. But, considering there's still a number of more basic things to do (like finish the conversion to ZScript, revamp some visuals), fine optimization is going to happen some time later.

Same goes for HUD; it's due to some updates but they're just closer to the bottom of the to-do list.

UPD: After a bit of testing, my plan for now is to make gibs non-interactive by default, which should improve the FPS a lot. Stay tuned.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

Will you make them non-interactive but keep the resurrection effect? Or is it dependent on interactivity? Otherwise I'm all for interactivity being an option.
ngetal

Post by ngetal »

Zaratul wrote:This mod has great custom HUD, i love it. Can i request HUD only download?
Also few suggestions for HUD:
-berserk indicator like in GZDoom HUD
-optional grey box for doomguy mugshot
-non transparent HUD option
Made a quick fork of the project on Github, here's a HUD-only version although without any of your suggestions: https://github.com/imrekoszo/Beautiful- ... udonly.zip

Edit: Jekyll Grim Payne I hope this is okay with you, let me know if not and I can remove it.
Jekyll Grim Payne

I'm OK with the HUD being separated, it's really nothing special anyway.

I'm currently implementing separate settings for the max amount of gibs, blood, flames and debris, and a much more efficient way of controlling their amount. I'm also using a more efficient way of interacting with gibs when resurrection animation is triggered, which makes the whole thing consume much less processing power.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom pre-7 build 7d9dbf8 (June 11, 2019)

pre-7 build 7d9dbf8 (June 11, 2019): GitHub
  • This version should be compatible with Delta Touch (ZScript version lowered to 3.7.2) but I haven't tested
  • Added a range of entirely new hand-drawn sprites for hanging bodies and torsos
  • Hanging bodies and torsos now swing about when shot
  • Arch-Vile attack is updated with more sound effects and a new visual effect that clearly shows how the attack is tracking you (thanks Gutawer and kodi)
  • The maximum amounts of gibs, blood, flames and debris can now be adjusted separately and are not tied to the native GZDoom corpse queue
  • Updated Beautiful Doom Settings with more options: you can now enable/disable replacements per monster, and there are separate sliders to adjust the maximum amount of gibs, blood and other debris
  • Sprite shadows slider now moves in 128-unit increments for much faster adjustment
  • Introduced a number of optimizations that should make gibs and blood less resource-intensive
  • Added a "Per-monster replacement settings" submenu which allows to toggle replacements for specific monsters. This is intended to get a better expericence with mods that only replace a few monstrers, such as Eviternity (which only replaces Wolfenstein Soldier and Baron of Hell)
  • Pinky Demons will spawn some gibs in their extreme death animation
  • Fixed Enhanced SSG showing only one muzzle flash on primary fire
Korell

Post by Korell »

I just played through Knee Deep In The Dead using this new June 11th build. Everything worked fine except for this minor stuttering at the start of each level (from what I can tell it is when you first see any enemies). It only lasts a few seconds and then the rest of the map plays fine. It doesn't always seem to coincide with an actual noticeable framerate reduction (using vid_fps 1 to show the framerate it was always above 60, the lowest it got on one occasion was 75, but sometimes the stutter was present and it was still giving a framerate of 100+), so it may be something else going on behind the scenes causing some stutter rather than it being a framerate issue. When killing enemies and gibbing them and such I didn't notice any slowdowns. The fact that it happens before I even attack anything to cause any gibbing seems strange.

Also, everything seemed slightly lighter (I use the Doom lighting option) but that may just have been my imagination as when I went back to Doom with no mods to compare it I couldn't see any difference (unless it is something that changed with GZDoom 4.1.3).
Jekyll Grim Payne

Korell wrote: Also, everything seemed slightly lighter (I use the Doom lighting option) but that may just have been my imagination as when I went back to Doom with no mods to compare it I couldn't see any difference (unless it is something that changed with GZDoom 4.1.3).
Well, the only way it could happen (in theory) is if I forgot to decrease brightness somwhere in one of the weapon flash animations. I'll double-check those.
tototo

Post by tototo »

i don't know if it's still there, but the ssg keeps reloading when you're out of ammo
Jekyll Grim Payne

tototo wrote:i don't know if it's still there, but the ssg keeps reloading when you're out of ammo
It's there, thanks for the report. Will fix!
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I dunno if I'm going crazy or not, but did this mod have plans for an automatic super-shotty? Because I know it was some kinda smooth doom-like mod...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”