Doom: The Golden Souls 3 - Important update at p.17, follow me on https://twitter.com/Batandy_ for project updates

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Batandy

Doom: The Golden Souls 3 - Important update at p.17, follow me on https://twitter.com/Batandy_ for project updates

Post by Batandy »

Welcome to the world of Doom: The Golden Souls 3!

--A TRUE COLLECT-A-THON ADVENTURE--

Explore giant colorful worlds while completing quests to obtain Golden Souls!
You can fully explore the maps at your own pace, and even experience completed missions again!

--STORY--
(Story subject to change)
Right after celebrating the defeat of the Cyberdemon, a series of catastrophic events lead to the destruction of the world and the entire universe.
Doomguy wakes up along with other survivors in a dimension between all dimensions, the magical city of Limbotropolis.
Will he uncover the truth about this strange new world? Who's pulling the strings and why are the Golden Souls here?

--NEW SUIT, NEW ABILITIES!--

Doomguy's got a plethora of new abilities to overcome any kind of dangerous situation and travel through unusual lands:
He can climb ledges, wall jump and even long jump now!
With all these abilities combined, you can easily dash through levels like a pro!

--AN ADVENTURE TAILOR-MADE FOR YOU--

Experience Golden Souls 3 with tons of different settings and difficulties!

Easy mode - 20% less enemy damage, Regenerating health, Falling into a pit makes you lose 10 coins.

Normal mode - Standard difficulty, Falling into a pit makes you lose 20 HP and 10 coins.

Hard mode - 20% more enemy damage, Legacy deathpits: Falling into a pit equals to instant death.

Yes, that's right, unless you play on Hard, there'll be no instant death pits!

--DOWNLOADS--
Demo 2
https://batandy.itch.io/goldensouls3

Please always play with the latest version of Gzdoom!

For optimal performance, please switch your renderer from OpenGL to Vulkan. This is especially true for AMD users.

Fully tested with both OpenGL and Vulkan. I recommend using Vulkan for a more consistent framerate, especially on AMD-based PCs!

Important: Please do not use any assets from demo versions of the mod without permission!

--THE NEW CHECKPOINT SYSTEM--

Many checkpoints are scattered across the map, walking into a checkpoint flag will automatically save the game, and also act as a respawn point if you fall into a pit (Unless you are playing on Hard, where pits are instantly lethal)
You can also disable the autosave in the options of the mod.

--MOD REQUIREMENTS--
Spoiler:
--ADDITIONAL COMMENTS--

When I started working on Golden Souls 1, the idea was to bring the gameplay of Collect-a-thon games such as Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie into Doom, but after the release I felt like I didn't really achieve what I was going for.
The mod was fun, sure, but it lacked the entire sandbox aspect of those games, aside from Red Coin challenges.
With Golden Souls 2, I wanted to embrace the linearity of the first game by focusing on less-open but still fun to explore levels, platformer style.
Yet, after I completed that too, I felt like something was missing. In the next few months, ideas on how to create a chapter system came to mind, along with the help and advice of some fellow Doomer friends.
I've decided to low key work on this one to scratch that itch. So here we go again, back to the roots of this saga, with the original idea fully realized.

Just in case you are wondering, no, It's not gonna have as many levels as GS2.
Given that the levels' structure is different here and I also really want to avoid going in crunch mode again, that felt really stressful and I was a fool for doing that.
I'm gonna prioritize quality over quantity, there's no set amount of levels to complete, it might be 5, it might be 10 or it might be 50 as long as I feel like it.
Same can be said about the release date, when it's done with no hurry.

I really hope you'll like what I've worked on so far, and happy Golden Souls hunting!
Last edited by Batandy on Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:17 am, edited 26 times in total.
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom: The Golden Souls 3

Post by Cardboard Marty »

Fantastic teaser trailer, the improvements to an already solid formula and (from what we can see) even more gorgeous levels make me incredibly hyped! The new abilities and gameplay style are awesome new additions. I can't wait to see more!
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

the hype is very real.
salahmander2

Post by salahmander2 »

Right when I thought you couldn't outdo yourself any further, you STILL pull it off. I really can't wait to play this. I know it's cheeky to ask, but will it have playable demos like GS2 had?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

salahmander2 wrote:Right when I thought you couldn't outdo yourself any further, you STILL pull it off. I really can't wait to play this. I know it's cheeky to ask, but will it have playable demos like GS2 had?
Yes! Especially now, since I really want to hear some feedback from the community. I just need some time to polish things up and complete the first map!

Stay Tuned!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

It is happening :)
Poohlyash

Post by Poohlyash »

Will it have that actor based level completion tracking thing? (cos i still wanna play this with noUV)
JohnSuitepee

Post by JohnSuitepee »

This reminds me that I really should get around to playing Golden Souls 2 soon.....
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

The absolute madman!
Really enjoyed the previous 2 Golden Souls, so i'm excited! :D
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Poohlyash wrote:Will it have that actor based level completion tracking thing? (cos i still wanna play this with noUV)
If you mean Spawnfilters/-flags, it's probably gonna be like GS1 & 2 or Half-Life, e.g. the amount of enemies is the same on all difficulty settings.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

DabbingSquidward wrote:
Poohlyash wrote:Will it have that actor based level completion tracking thing? (cos i still wanna play this with noUV)
If you mean Spawnfilters/-flags, it's probably gonna be like GS1 & 2 or Half-Life, e.g. the amount of enemies is the same on all difficulty settings.
Yeah, higher difficulty is just more general damage and pit damage (with hard having instant death pits), enemy spawns are relative to the mission you're currently playing. (Ex: A mission might be about a cacodemon invasion, in that case there'll be plenty of cacodemon spawns)
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

what, no player murder difficulty mode this time around where enemies are replaced by completely bonkers ones?

going back to the over-under double barrel, i see
new moves look cool. would be hard pressed to call first person platforming bad or difficult after this, i'd wager
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

comet1337 wrote:what, no player murder difficulty mode this time around where enemies are replaced by completely bonkers ones?
Soaring Comet was a fun little gimmick, but i really want to streamline difficulty settings this time, I wanna make it extremely clear what every difficulty setting does, in order to avoid any confusion.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Batandy wrote:Just in case you are wondering, no, It's not gonna have as many levels as GS2.
Given that the levels' structure is different here and I also really want to avoid going in crunch mode again, that felt really stressful and I was a fool for doing that.
I'm gonna prioritize quality over quantity, there's no set amount of levels to complete, it might be 5, it might be 10 or it might be 50 as long as I feel like it.
Same can be said about the release date, when it's done with no hurry.
Super Mario 64 had 15 courses, Sunshine had 7 and Banjo Kazooie had 9. So you really don't need more than that, as long as the levels themselves offer much to do. I really like that you're trying something new with each installment, especially the pseudo hub system employed in the aforementioned games where progress is reset after completing it/different during each mission. It would really benefit from a fleshed out hub area which gives you so much stuff to do it can be considered its own level; à la Peach's Castle or Grunty's lair. Like GS1, but more of it :D

Think like the mods which allow you to play each of Doom's & Heretic's episodes in one single map each. I know it came much later, but Odyssey made every level/world feel like its own hub with each area being unique and able to stand on its own. Basically you could have each world represent a theme of levels from GS2. One of forest, beach, city, space, etc. areas.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

DabbingSquidward wrote: Super Mario 64 had 15 courses, Sunshine had 7 and Banjo Kazooie had 9. So you really don't need more than that, as long as the levels themselves offer much to do. I really like that you're trying something new with each installment, especially the pseudo hub system employed in the aforementioned games where progress is reset after completing it/different during each mission. It would really benefit from a fleshed out hub area which gives you so much stuff to do it can be considered its own level; à la Peach's Castle or Grunty's lair. Like GS1, but more of it :D

Think like the mods which allow you to play each of Doom's & Heretic's episodes in one single map each. I know it came much later, but Odyssey made every level/world feel like its own hub with each area being unique and able to stand on its own. Basically you could have each world represent a theme of levels from GS2. One of forest, beach, city, space, etc. areas.
I'm planning exactly that. An extended hub, fewer levels but with 5 missions each, the system's already in, and when you grab a Golden Soul you can also choose not to leave the mission immediately in order to keep exploring.
It's not gonna follow any theme though, unlike GS2 I haven't planned anything, it's mostly gonna be what I feel like doing for the future levels, people liked how unpredictable maps were in GS1 and I want to bring that back.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”