Hexen Gibbet Re-Script

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Hexen Gibbet Re-Script

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Here's a prototype re-write of the scripting handled on map23 of HEXEN.wad

This script should make it impossible for the gibbet bug to occur that traps the player in the room before the Heresiarch and prevents them from being able to finish the map.
This is still just a prototype, and any assistance from more masterful scripters in optimizing this is welcome and greatly appreciated.

This should be compatible with absolutely everything.

Downloads are here

Pure ZScript (GZDoom only)
Pure ACS (Should work with zandronum)
Combination ACS/ZScript (GZDoom only)
Spoiler:
Last edited by Dinosaur_Nerd on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leodoom85

Re: Hexen Gibbet Re-Script

Post by leodoom85 »

You know that letting live exactly 3 serpents will open the walls and continue the map....right?
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Yeah, he does. I've run into this bug myself before. If you kill the serpents too fast or simultaneously, the game will become softlocked. The original script is supposed to execute when there are 3 serpents or less, but it only executes when there are exactly three.

Edit: I've attached the ACS source for Gibbet, so you can make a Zandronum or vanilla compatible version too :P
Attachments
MAP23.txt
(7.34 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

leodoom85 wrote:You know that letting live exactly 3 serpents will open the walls and continue the map....right?
That is exactly the problem.

If there isn't precisely 3 serpents alive when the script checks (once every 6 seconds) then the player is stuck, requiring the player to open the console and cheat.
This fixes that so that no cheating is required and the game can be played as intended.
DabbingSquidward wrote:I've attached the ACS source for Gibbet, so you can make a Zandronum or vanilla compatible version too :P
Thanks for the help, though I already used the decompiled ACS for gibbet to ensure that I was doing exactly what the original game was doing in the first place.
I am adding new files that will be compatible with Zandronum, more optimized for GZDoom, and an alternative method that combines both ACS and ZScript, just in case it is the fastest possible option.

Return to “Resources”