EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Post by drfrag »

Coraline wrote:If anyone has a newer ATI card
I've tried it, looks cool. 45 fps on a Radeon R2 (E2-9010) with driver 19.4.1 at default settings, but this is a shitty "card".
BTW is splitscreen finally working? Did Rachael code it? I'd like to add it to LZDoom however i can't do it myself.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

No, I never completed it on EDGE.

That engine is very frustrating for me to work with, I made several attempts at it, and later gave up on it.

Also, you will never be able to port it from EDGE to LZDoom. The code is incompatible. If you really want something like that for a GZDoom-based port it will have to be redone for GZDoom, itself - which for me, was always a lot easier to work with.

For what little code EDGE has for split-screen, if you have dual screens working at least all that remains is finishing the code in G_BuildTicCmd so that it recognizes input from distinct devices as separate.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Coraline wrote: Still experiencing framerates that dip into the high 40's, mid 50's on my AMD RX580. Curiously, any modern Intel HD IGP (even on my Surface Pro 2015 with the Iris 640 and Latitude E7450 with the HD 5500) runs EDGE at a perfect 60FPS! This has to be an ATi driver issue - I thought it might be a monitor refresh rate case, but it isn't so. My Arcade desktop (which sports a lower-end Nvidia GTX 680) runs it well above 60FPS. I have to find out if there's some sort of GL implementation that either isn't supported or has weird hacks that bogs shit down with. Tried with and without the Andrenaline drivers and even tweaked all of the settings for EDGE on the driver level. Some weird shit. . . :?:

If anyone has a newer ATI card I humbly beg you to run EDGE, even if you don't have any intention of keeping the port and delete it 2 seconds after you are finished. When the game starts, type in 'idinfo' for the FPS counter. I’ll even take reports from GZDoom users if anyone has trouble hitting 60FPS.

At this point - I can't tell if this has anything to do with SDL2, our interpolation/vsync code, or ATI's drivers. Attempting to run it through CodeXL with my current card is a nightmare and doesn't do much good. No point in running it on my Intel IGP machines nor my nVidia as those function just fine.
@Graf, any advice?
Hard to say what's up. To get some meaningful comparison between GZDoom and EDGE I loaded P:AR E1M3, the map with the crane.
This runs with 280 fps in GZDoom and 36 fps in EDGE - but it's hard to say where the time is lost without some profiling options in the engine.
The one thing that stood out most to me is that in EDGE the scene looks a lot more processed so I can't even tell if it's the scene renderer or the processing that slows it down this much.
On vanilla-complexity maps it's 500 vs. 300 fps.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Does running EDGE with -norenderbuffers give any increases with the frame rate? For my AMD card it doesn’t, but it is noticeable at least a little on other machines.

I definitely need to get a profiler in the engine, just not sure where to start adding it 🤣😝
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I recommend to do something similar as I did in GZDoom - use the rdtsc timer and wrap various pieces of render code with it, and then add some means to output that data. You'll probably need a bit of trial and error to find the right spots.

Regarding render buffers, it makes no big difference. The main culprit on AMD is most likely draw calls, so the first thing to profile is to count them and the time they take and output that info.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Rachael wrote:No, I never completed it on EDGE.
I thought someone said it was mostly working, or was that in EDGE? Didn't Coraline say she lost the input config code recently?
Your old attempt only worked with render buffers and the version by the other guy on D3D had two screens with two menus, player two was just a clone of player one and it was only for XInput. Like i said i can't do it at least not for now and in the future... is there even a future for poor drfrag?
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Im in the market now for a decent 2 in 1 laptop / device that can run 3DGE. I dont plan on letting all of the work ive done over the years go to waste due to not being able to keep up with hardware support. If youre implementint 3DGE onto the Vita (which is AMAZING by the way) it will give me an excuse to buy one and develop for the Vita over the Dreamcast. I want to see my 3DGE64 project in full realization. I noticed mention of the Latitude and the Surface. Would Surface 3 suffice for hardware? I want to use Photoshop and Illustrator on top of using the stylus in map design.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Hello again everyone,

Just uploaded new x86/x64 builds of EDGE to DRDTeam. These are critical fixes to a few major issues that went unnoticed for awhile:

+ Full SIGIL episode support (drag both SIGIL and DOOM on top of EDGE (with the DOOM2 IWAD in the root for all 6 episodes))
1) EPK/PK3/PAK/PK7 archive handling has been fixed (tons of errors with double recursion due to Wolf3D code)
2) Images should render better (new stb version bump), but remember the 'EXT' format should be used for Images.DDF unless they are PNG's with grAbs (then use PNG)
3) grAb has been fixed, but weapons w/grAb still need work (turns out we need two spots in the code to handle both COAL offsets and DDF offsets. If you run into this, send us a copy of your WAD as we are working on handling this)
4) Erroneous code removed that really won't affect workflow or mods (but screwed up other stuff)
5) DDF has been fixed up (bug that CeeJay reported a page or so ago)

Give them a try and let me know how it is going:
https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/3dge/

Remember: 64-bit builds need the AVX 'extension' supported by the processor or it will not run. 32-bit builds need SSE2 extensions.
(when in doubt, just pick x86!)

PS: I highly advise anyone downloading this to delete your edge.ini (or edge.cfg) file; even better, cleanly extract to a new directory (unless your copy of EDGE has the ./base folder in root, then you can overwrite everything).
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Coraline wrote: Remember: 64-bit builds need the AVX 'extension' supported by the processor or it will not run. 32-bit builds need SSE2 extensions.
Why that limitation? I once tested AVX vs. SSE2 and it didn't make any difference in performance. I can tell you that when the JIT compiler got implemented it accidentally used a few post-SSE2 instructions and there were several users who were affected by this, so these older x64 CPUs are definitely still in use.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Going to test this new build out right away. For a future suggestion if possible, being able to control the strength of bloom is something that I could see being helpful - it isn't an eye sore by any means though when a sector is fullbright or near a corpse in a 108 lighting sector, it glows, unless the Doomguy has some kind of reflective properties inside of his visor, I can see where the immersion fits. Also, working on getting SLADE on this computer so that I can fix ZHUD and bump it up to 1.2. I didn't expect my HUD mod to be implemented into the main public build (awesome, btw) which means a lot of the things I didn't test for ended up being minor inconveniences. For example, when your armor reaches below 100% (for Mega Armor), it remains Blue. This is due to the hardcoded bonus of that armor still being in effect until you completely destroy it. However, when you pick up an armor bonus below that threshold, it returns to Green. I'm still trying to figure it out, but once I have the time I can fix the math for it to check for both Green, Mega, Red, Purple and Yellow respectfully. There hasn't been any custom levels to use those special armors yet but it will be there in the future. Maybe I'm overlooking it but I'll update everything now that I can run the newer builds :)
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

New build is awesome. No bugs to report so far! Updating all mods and projects to the newest version
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Coraline wrote: Remember: 64-bit builds need the AVX 'extension' supported by the processor or it will not run. 32-bit builds need SSE2 extensions.
Why that limitation? I once tested AVX vs. SSE2 and it didn't make any difference in performance. I can tell you that when the JIT compiler got implemented it accidentally used a few post-SSE2 instructions and there were several users who were affected by this, so these older x64 CPUs are definitely still in use.
Noted. I’m not seeing any real difference either, so I’m leaving those out entirely now.

New builds won’t require AVX for x64 anymore, just a heads up!
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

@Graf:

I’m highly considering adding UMAPINfO into EDGE. I got most of the specs from your prBoom fork you made and I might end up borrowing the majority of it. I’m glad I’m referencing it from your fork rather than from GZDoom itself, since prBoom is easier to read, not to mention EDGE has a fair share of prBoom code. Probably will need to integrate the Scanner code though.

The question here is that if it is detected, do I stop Levels/Games DDFs from loading if UMAPINfO is found and fill it in directly or do I write a simple converter to record UMAPINFO into the Levels/Games DDF structure?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I made the priority so that ZMAPINFO > MAPINFO > UMAPINFO, i.e. if a ZDoom-specific definition is found, it will block any UMAPINFO from the same WAD.
Aside from that, it will still load a MAPINFO from every resource file that has one. How that translates to DDF I cannot say. UMAPINFO requires a valid base definition to work, however. In PrBoom that base is the hard coded defaults, in GZDoom the definition from the IWAD.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I'm using the latest devbuild and I still get a pitch black fullscreen, also sometimes the interpolation stops working, making everything appear choppy, despite my FPS still being at 200.
Any idea what's going on?

Edit: The latest devbuild crashes to desktop when picking up an invulnerability sphere. "Colourmap [ALLWHITE] is too small ! (LENGTH too big)"

Also, is there a way to disable the strafe bobbing?

Edit 2: This is probably not correct, but I changed the start parameter in colmap.ddf:

Code: Select all

// --- Powerup effects -------------

// For the invulnerability effect
[ALLWHITE]
lump = "COLORMAP";
start = 0;//32;
length = 1;
At least it doesn't crash now.

Edit 3: Oh, I accidentally saved the game while dead, didn't know this was possible :P

Return to “Game Engines”