[GZDoom 4.1.2] Vulkan Crashes "AMD 400/500 Series"

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
_mental_

Re: [GZDoom 4.1.2] Vulkan Crashes "AMD 400/500 Series"

Post by _mental_ »

Vulkan backend is enabled in 64-bit builds only.
MasterBeavis
Preferred Pronouns: Ask Me
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MasterBeavis »

oh that explains it lol false alarm then
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

So far the only one that has reported sporadic crashes on AMD cards are you. I'm sorry to say it, but as time progresses this appears more and more likely to be a problem with your system. If you want to convince me otherwise, find other AMD users with the same card series and have them test the vulkan backend and report how it runs for them.
Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Dwailing »

I'm having the same problem using an AMD Radeon RX 580 on the most recent 19.5.2 drivers. I'll try to load a game and it'll crash, usually after the second time I try to load a save. This isn't just one person's problem.

Edit: For clarification, I'm using the latest dev build of GZDoom.

Double Edit: Maybe not, actually. I did the ol' "delete the old ini" and I think that *might* have fixed it. Gonna try playing more to confirm.
Last edited by Dwailing on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Thanks for the feedback. Without access to the hardware I can only rely on feedback from people that do, so its paramount in general to get confirmations from other users when asking for it.

Are you seeing the crash only when loading or does it happen elsewhere? Currently there's no pattern in this bug report, which makes it very difficult to trace down what the problem might be.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Dwailing wrote:Double Edit: Maybe not, actually. I did the ol' "delete the old ini" and I think that *might* have fixed it. Gonna try playing more to confirm.
Did you keep the old ini? It would help a lot if we could figure out which setting is causing it.
MasterBeavis

Post by MasterBeavis »

Dwailing wrote:I'm having the same problem using an AMD Radeon RX 580 on the most recent 19.5.2 drivers. I'll try to load a game and it'll crash, usually after the second time I try to load a save. This isn't just one person's problem.

Edit: For clarification, I'm using the latest dev build of GZDoom.

Double Edit: Maybe not, actually. I did the ol' "delete the old ini" and I think that *might* have fixed it. Gonna try playing more to confirm.
to repro turn on vulkan and then turn on postprosseing affects they cause crashes when you save a few times or load into another map. Post processing is whats causing it in vulkan if you turn off PP it plays fine
Attachments
gzdoom.ini
(20.73 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Last edited by MasterBeavis on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwailing

Post by Dwailing »

dpJudas wrote:
Dwailing wrote:Double Edit: Maybe not, actually. I did the ol' "delete the old ini" and I think that *might* have fixed it. Gonna try playing more to confirm.
Did you keep the old ini? It would help a lot if we could figure out which setting is causing it.
I do have a copy of it. I actually might have narrowed it down through trial and error, though. If I change the "Multisamples" setting that tends to correlate with crashing occurring, usually after some combination of saving and loading.
Dwailing

Post by Dwailing »

The common thread between our two problems seems to be changing settings under the blanket of "Hardware Renderer" and then saving and loading. Perhaps the renderer isn't responding well to trying to change those settings mid-level?
Dwailing

Post by Dwailing »

Hang on, no, I think I've got it. I, uh, I think it's the Bloom shader again. XD

Edit: Yeah, when I turn bloom off I can save and load as many times as I like, but when I turn it on it immediately crashes when I try to save.
Last edited by Dwailing on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterBeavis

Post by MasterBeavis »

I just turn on Bloom effect, Lens Distortion, and Ambient ocolision and after going in game and saving 2 or 3 times boom crash but turning them off fixes it
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

I can see MasterBeavis has multisampling enabled as well. @Beavis: what happens if you turn multisampling off?

It is certainly a possibility that changing settings could cause a problem, but then that should make it stable whenever you're just playing with your normal settings, whatever they might be.

Edit: hmm, the bloom you say?
Last edited by dpJudas on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterBeavis

Post by MasterBeavis »

Dwailing wrote:Hang on, no, I think I've got it. I, uh, I think it's the Bloom shader again. XD

Edit: Yeah, when I turn bloom off I can save and load as many times as I like, but when I turn it on it immediately crashes when I try to save.
yep you found it mulisampling isnt the issue i tried
Last edited by MasterBeavis on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwailing

Post by Dwailing »

MasterBeavis wrote:I just turn on Bloom effect, Lens Distortion, and Ambient ocolision and after going in game and saving 2 or 3 times boom crash but turning them off fixes it
I can have Lens Distortion and Ambient Occlusion on, but adding Bloom causes crashing immediately after changing the setting to on. It also causes crashing just having it on after saving and loading.
Dwailing

Post by Dwailing »

dpJudas wrote:I can see MasterBeavis has multisampling enabled as well. @Beavis: what happens if you turn multisampling off?

It is certainly a possibility that changing settings could cause a problem, but then that should make it stable whenever you're just playing with your normal settings, whatever they might be.

Edit: hmm, the bloom you say?
Yeah, it's bloom, that's definitely what it is. Man, what is it with me and the bloom shader? This is the second time I've been connected to a bug report with it, lol.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”