GZDoom Unicode characters don’t show up in HR2

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Kostov

GZDoom Unicode characters don’t show up in HR2

Post by Kostov »

I tried out Hell Revealed 2, which does not change the internal level names at all, with a few different languages (though it does add its own STCFN### font). In English, it appears the same as in the vanilla game, but when any other languages are loaded, I noticed that Unicode characters don’t draw at all. Take French:

It is missing an accent mark, “Hall d’entrée,” but otherwise appears normally because É has E as a fallback character. Russian, though…

No letters at all appear on the automap. What’s happening here? The strange thing is that Unicode characters do appear on the quit screen, at least (with a slight discoloration in the outline):

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: GZDoom Unicode characters don’t show up in HR2

Post by Graf Zahl »

The problem here is quite simple: The font only supports English. I added a check to certain messages to fall back to the base font if the custom one does not fully support the given text, that is the notification messages, the centered messages and the menu confirmation. That's where the discoloration comes from, because it tries to remap the font to the custom one which not always yields the best results.

Such checks were not added for the automap texts
Graf Zahl

Re: GZDoom Unicode characters don’t show up in HR2

Post by Graf Zahl »

fixed

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”