WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SiFi270

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by SiFi270 »

In the Xbox version of Ultimate Doom, an oversight in E4M1 lead to the removal of line 301's action special and sector tag, making the NIИ secret (and by extension, 100% monsters) inaccessible. The inclusion of credits for Sewers suggests that this version of the IWAD was meant to be supported, but if you use it, you end up with a broken E4M1. If it's possible, I feel that map should automatically be checked and fixed during the creation process, like tn_MAP31. Also, is E1M10 leading back to E1M1 intentional? I know it's like that in the original Xbox version, but I still think it makes more sense to have it lead to E1M2 like Crispy Doom and most other reinterpretations do.
JPL

Post by JPL »

SiFi270 wrote:In the Xbox version of Ultimate Doom, an oversight in E4M1 lead to the removal of line 301's action special and sector tag, making the NIИ secret (and by extension, 100% monsters) inaccessible. The inclusion of credits for Sewers suggests that this version of the IWAD was meant to be supported, but if you use it, you end up with a broken E4M1. If it's possible, I feel that map should automatically be checked and fixed during the creation process, like tn_MAP31.
Hmm, is this the Original Xbox version? I don't have access to that WAD. My doom.wad from the 90s and doombfg.wad both show a map checksum of DA0C8281AC70EEC31127C228BCD7FE2C for E4M1, which I guess is the version without that bug. WadSmoosh doesn't actually perform map-specific fixes anymore, it leaves all that to GZDoom's internal definitions for map compatibility fixes based on map checksum. So the proper fix would be to add an entry to wadsrc/static/zscript/level_compatibility.zs in the source for gzdoom.pk3, and submit a pull request for that, so that anyone playing with that version of the wad can have the fix. I've submitted map fixes like that in the past, it's not too tough.

Sewers/Betray support was added mostly as a joke, as the maps are only official in the most technical sense, nearly impossible to find without prior knowledge, and pretty bad to boot. I've only ever tested WadSmoosh with the freely available standalone versions of those two maps from this page: http://classicdoom.com/xboxspec.htm
Also, is E1M10 leading back to E1M1 intentional? I know it's like that in the original Xbox version, but I still think it makes more sense to have it lead to E1M2 like Crispy Doom and most other reinterpretations do.
Again, I was mainly looking to recreate the original Xbox functionality; I agree the behavior is weird but so is the map's very existence. If you can confirm that most other source ports that support it exit to E1M2 I could easily change WadSmoosh's included MAPINFO.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

To be honest, the only other thing I can think of that not only incorporates Sewers but connects it to episode 1's levels is one of the patches here, which also has it lead to E1M2. But there are a lot more ports that support Betray, due to that surviving into later versions of the IWAD, and they all have the exit lead to map03, so it'd at least be more consistent to have Sewers lead to E1M2.

If you're still curious about the Xbox IWADs, and know how to use xdelta, you can recreate them with patches found here.
monstario

Post by monstario »

Can you add an option to switch to James Paddock's MIDIs instead of Buckethead if one smooshed the SHREDS?

As for the Xbox levels - for me the patched versions work perfectly from the link JPL provided (the ones without "XB" in filename).
JPL

Post by JPL »

monstario wrote:Can you add an option to switch to James Paddock's MIDIs instead of Buckethead if one smooshed the SHREDS?
Hmm, currently I do the lazy thing and just overwrite the MIDI lumps with the MP3s during extraction, since they have the same names, and GZDoom doesn't care. I'd have to rename one of the two soundtracks and add some sort of scripting that checks a cvar and (re)starts playing either.

My assumption with how it works now was that users would specify their preference by including or not including SIGIL_SHREDS, and wouldn't need to switch back.

An alternative would be to scoop the MIDIs out into a separate PWAD and load that in when desired, which anyone could do as it's just editing the free version.
saegiru

Post by saegiru »

JPL wrote:
monstario wrote:Can you add an option to switch to James Paddock's MIDIs instead of Buckethead if one smooshed the SHREDS?
Hmm, currently I do the lazy thing and just overwrite the MIDI lumps with the MP3s during extraction, since they have the same names, and GZDoom doesn't care. I'd have to rename one of the two soundtracks and add some sort of scripting that checks a cvar and (re)starts playing either.

My assumption with how it works now was that users would specify their preference by including or not including SIGIL_SHREDS, and wouldn't need to switch back.

An alternative would be to scoop the MIDIs out into a separate PWAD and load that in when desired, which anyone could do as it's just editing the free version.
I feel like adding an option to switch between paddock/buckethead adds unnecessary complexity. It's like adding an option to include the many mp3 replacements in the wad to the final. Best option is to just leave shreds out of your wadsmoosh and load it up when you want it, otherwise you have a bloated complete.pk3 to deal with all the time. If you want the shreds later, load it as a secondary pwad.

I would love a way to add Romero's E1M4b and E1M8b in a similar method as you did sewers and betray though, by possibly adding a secret switch/exit in E1M4 and E1M8 respectively. I've already modified the data.py to include them, but can you explain what you did to add the secret exit switches for sewers and betray? I mean, I could go manually edit the wads myself I suppose if all else fails. (Also could use ideas on where to put the secret exit locations if I were to do it too...)
Ripthorn

Post by Ripthorn »

So I just made a new .pk3 with Sigil to play Brutal Doom and I'm getting this in episode selection:

I thought it was something related to the language, so I switched to english...

Same thing :(

It worked normally in the previous version:

Anyone know if it's possible to fix this? I'm using ZDoom LE 2.8.3a, but the same problem happens in GZDoom.
And by the way, thanks for the amazing tool, @JPL :mrgreen:
saegiru

Post by saegiru »

Ripthorn wrote:So I just made a new .pk3 with Sigil to play Brutal Doom and I'm getting this in episode selection:

Anyone know if it's possible to fix this? I'm using ZDoom LE 2.8.3a, but the same problem happens in GZDoom.
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe they made some changes to the episode name variables in the more recent GZDoom versions - which is why it shows those. Have you tried a newer version?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Those text labels require GZDoom 4.0. Previously the texts were hard coded.
The menu format switch happens when the engine finds out that the regular menu doesn't fit the screen anymore.
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Graf Zahl wrote:Those text labels require GZDoom 4.0. Previously the texts were hard coded.
The menu format switch happens when the engine finds out that the regular menu doesn't fit the screen anymore.
Or, if your hardware doesn't support OpenGL 3.2 and above, then GZDoom Legacy v3.8.0 should be right up your alley.
Purity666

Post by Purity666 »

saegiru wrote:I would love a way to add Romero's E1M4b and E1M8b in a similar method as you did sewers and betray though, by possibly adding a secret switch/exit in E1M4 and E1M8 respectively. I've already modified the data.py to include them, but can you explain what you did to add the secret exit switches for sewers and betray? I mean, I could go manually edit the wads myself I suppose if all else fails. (Also could use ideas on where to put the secret exit locations if I were to do it too...)
I could try to update my wadsmoosh version (which you can find a couple of pages back) to JPLs latest codebase (at least in most aspects) if you want and if JPL don't mind. It includes switches and textures to enter both maps along with two psx levels...
site
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by site »

Tonight I decided to make a new complete wad to incorporate sigil, but I think I may have ran into a bug that I don't recall dealing with when I made one a few months ago.

When adding the Plutonia midi pack files, I renamed the prefix on all the tracks in plutmidi.wad from D_ to P_, deleted all the D_ tracks from PLUTONIA.wad, and the c/p'd the P_ tracks from plutmidi to PLUTONIA and saved PLUTONIA. When I went to run wadsmoosh, it gave me this "ERROR: Lump type music not found". I checked doom_complete.pk3 in slade and sure enough the tracks weren't in there. Now, I went ahead and just copied the tracks into the doom_complete.pk3 /music folder and saved it, and it seems to work just fine now. But I'm not sure why wadsmoosh didn't detect the files from PLUTONIA.WAD in the first place.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Because in PLUTONIA.WAD the files are still D_ just like in Doom 2. Wadsmoosh is the utility that renames them, and since you renamed them before Wadsmoosh did, which it expected in order to work properly, it couldn't find them.

It would be like if someone told you "change all these black dots to red". So you go to change the black dots to red - except someone already did it, but you don't know that - so to you, there is a problem - there are no black dots.
site
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by site »

Hmm gave it whirl just to see and it did come out right. I guess I just misinterpreted the instructions as renaming and replacing in plutonia before smooshing, but they meant renaming and replacing them in doom_complete post smoosh. Oh well, problem solved. Hopefully I'll still remember that if I ever need it again.
Ripthorn

Post by Ripthorn »

saegiru wrote:
Ripthorn wrote:So I just made a new .pk3 with Sigil to play Brutal Doom and I'm getting this in episode selection:

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe they made some changes to the episode name variables in the more recent GZDoom versions - which is why it shows those. Have you tried a newer version?
Tested on GZDoom Legacy 3.6 and the same thing happens.
Graf Zahl wrote:Those text labels require GZDoom 4.0. Previously the texts were hard coded.
I forgot to mention... Only happens with Brutal Doom. Without, works fine but with one episode cropped:

ShockwaveS08 wrote:
Or, if your hardware doesn't support OpenGL 3.2 and above, then GZDoom Legacy v3.8.0 should be right up your alley.
My graphic card supports OpenGL up to 4.5, the problem is that any version of GZDoom runs like shit on my laptop, so I'm stuck with ZDoom for now.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”