GZDoom localization development thread [Split]

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: GZDoom localization development thread [Split]

Post by Graf Zahl »

enu is not 'default', so it will only have an effect if the language is set to "enu".
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

My team and I have translated SIGIL into Russian. As soon as the strings are localized, we’ll put our work into the spreadsheet.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Graf Zahl wrote:enu is not 'default', so it will only have an effect if the language is set to "enu".
I mean, what gets printed to the screen in that case? The placeholder string?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, if that happens it prints the placeholder string. Most people would notice immediately because the default language setting is not 'enu' but 'auto'.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Considering that the Polish translation (minus the Strife dialogue) is almost complete I think it is time to finalize the fonts. I could do the accents for the small Raven and Strife fonts myself, but the other fonts are beyond my capabilities.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I’ll probably work on it around next week. Right now, I have an important event for my Strife voiceover coming up in two days.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

While watching a GZDoom stream with SVE.WAD, I noticed some texts are used that only have a ”strifeteaser” filter in the game language spreadsheet, so I added an SVE filter as well. What is it actually called? For now, I only added ”sve”.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

An SVE filter does not exist. Please remove this and file a proper bug report so it can be investigated.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

One more part of the menu remains to be localized, by the way: the reverb environment editor in the sound options. Would that be possible before releasing the next update?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

A few of the message texts still lack strings, E.G the anubis cheat, "[player] is a cheater:" (which also uses builtin strings to describe what cheat was used), "out of sync with:".
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's hard to find out which texts warrant localization. If you find some, best make a PR to change how they get looked up.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

NeuralStunner wrote:A few of the message texts still lack strings, E.G the anubis cheat, "[player] is a cheater:" (which also uses builtin strings to describe what cheat was used), "out of sync with:".

What source are you comparing this with? Both the Anubis cheat and the "is a cheater" message are no longer in the source.
Whether it makes sense to localize the network consistency messages I'll leave open to debate.

The aforementioned environment editor is another matter, I forgot that this never was part of the string table.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Graf Zahl wrote:What source are you comparing this with? Both the Anubis cheat and the "is a cheater" message are no longer in the source.
Little out of date, sorry.

(What do you manage the CSVs with? CSVEd trips over the linebreaks. It's also a little horrible to work with.)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

He exports it directly from the Google Spreadsheet. Google Docs has an option for multiple export formats.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Wow, that CVSed is one truly useless program. It can not just not load files with line breaks properly, equally bad is that it doesn't support UTF-8! A real blast from a very distant past.

The Google exports can just be loaded fine by any decent spreadsheet editor around, but these CSV files are not meant for editing anyway and I cannot accept any submissions of edited CSV files. If you want to make offline edits, download the original spreadsheets as XLSX or ODS files and change those.
If you want to create multi-language custom content you are better off using LibreOffice to manage the spreadsheets and export from there with the proper settings.

Return to “General”