Classic DooM III

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Carbine Dioxide

Re: Classic DooM III

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

I've actually wanted to do a full sprite sheet of the big ol' book cover art monster and the Baron from the Doom cover art, but I don't really know how to go about with either of those. Anyway, the fiend sprite is a cool starting off point.
eyesoftheworld94

Post by eyesoftheworld94 »

Very cool idea -- Notably there is that Reincarnation of Evil pack that Ghastly was/is still working on, that you could possibly implement into this if permission is allowed/credited.

As for the Title Pic/Menu Pic, Something like this: http://pre14.deviantart.net/7d06/th/pre ... crat_x.jpg would be cool.
ThrashfanBert1994

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

looks nice tho
Kaal979

Post by Kaal979 »

Im seeing what youre wanting - something like Hexen/Heretic monsters added
what is more than fantastic only since you arent a modder maybe its a neat advise
to recomend a monster replacer like "Herculines" or "Psychophobia" for you.
davee0
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by davee0 »

Pretty Interesting... :wub: :evil:
Will it have very unexpectit traps like at actual MooD III jk. :roll:
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

When the fiend's sprites are done, will they be up (spriting carnival for example) as a modder's resource?
luigiman0640
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by luigiman0640 »

I'm open to help with DECORATE coding and mapping
An_Unknown_Player

Post by An_Unknown_Player »

I thought of this when i read the title : http://www.moddb.com/mods/classic-doom-3

You might want to change it a lil bit to avoid confusion.
SirJuicyLemon

Post by SirJuicyLemon »

I know I'm kinda late but this is awesome!
I'm not sure in what ended up this project but, if the original poster did all those things from the very first post (the sprites, title screen and music) then he is a GOD!

I'd love to have been here to help and contribute to the project before... I wanna know what happened with it! It's like a version of Doom 3 we all deserve!
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Did you ever finish that fiend sprite sheet? That first frame is sweet (tge enlarged one in the avatar) and I'd love to help but need a full sheet of the fiend first.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Is this still happening? That fiend sprite needs to be made into a complete monster.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Hidden Hands wrote:Is this still happening? That fiend sprite needs to be made into a complete monster.
OP's last post date is from several months ago.
Clifford21

Post by Clifford21 »

Valherran wrote:
I agree with your sentiments on Doom 3, though I believe it's merely disappointing rather than the abomination people make it out to be...
Doom 3 failed because it focused way too much on graphics and unnecessary features and also did not capture any of Doom 1 & 2's core gameplay that made it good for so many years.
Personally, Doom 3 is a failure because it is just dissatisfactory in gameplay experience:

1. Screen "flickering" when you get hit: okay, hit-scan enemies are already not everyone's favorite, now this brings the annoyance to a new high level

2. Trying hard to be a horror game: everywhere is dark, and you need to keep switching between the torch and your gun (even in the heat of fight), which is just a chore and slows down the navigation and gunplay. The original games are NOT horror games, if their stages were that hard-to-see, I wouldn't even be bothered to play them in the past.

3. Boring game flow: goes into a room, fetch a switch, all light (if any) goes out, door is closed. So, you get trapped inside a small room, with enemies spawning around you. This small scale of "invasion" is meh compared to your past epic experience in some large open areas fighting against hordes of enemies, where you will keep dodging and running around freely. Did the developers try to copy "Painkiller" formula into Doom?

4. Linear exploration: in original games, your exploration is non-linear, you can even skip some areas to end a stage. But in Doom 3, you just barely follow the plot for your fetch quests, with frequent back-tracking and "trapped-room-fight" (as mentioned in point 3) in areas you have visited before.

5. Combat experience: In the old games, you see those enemy animation in pain, blood and gore when you shoot something. In Doom 3, enemies basically act like nothing when you shoot them, and they also just disappear when killed, with no blood droplets on ground (or may be it had but just disappeared quickly....). This just looks like that we are shooting some plastic dolls instead of some living monsters.

Also, the sound of guns feel weak, and the gun animation is also slow, e.g. the boring shotgun, why it sounds so weak, dealing pathetic damage to enemies in point-blank range headshot (can't even always 1HKO a lame imp or zombie), with painfully slow reload animation (I was often counting when the Doom Guy would finish his ammo-insert task.....). Compared to some awesome gameplay mods for gzdoom nowadays, you will definitely appreciate how the mod authors make the "shotgun gun-play" a satisfactory experience. Any example? Check out JohnnyDoom, and sees how great its shotgun is.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”