[Sigil] Romero's fifth Doom episode released

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Fifth Romero's Doom episode to be released

Post by Darkcrafter »

Kinsie wrote:Bumping with info of relevance: The free release of Sigil is coming out May 31. If you can't wait, wanna throw John a few bucks or just really like widdly-widdly guitar athletics, you can buy a digital download that includes the mapset and the Buckethead music WAD for €6.66. Of course.

There are two versions of the mod included: A "compat" version that replaces Episode 3 and uses a DEHACKED lump to change the text strings, and a standard version that defines a new episode, set up for both GZDoom and Eternity. As such, it should pretty much be a doddle to include into WADSmoosh or whatever (I'll probably hand-merge it into my own PK3 at some point).

I've played the first couple of maps with Jimmy's MIDI soundtrack, they're pretty fun!
Wow thanks for the link, I just bought it and the gameplay really feels Romero! The music sounds good but I think it could be better without getting buckethead into it as this kind of music doesn't fit the map pace. I really liked Ghosts Of Mars OST and it was performed by Buckethead and Anthrax if I'm not mistaken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op49INVC8kc It was so good I ended up making a midi version of that for my custom maps pack :mrgreen:
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Just a heads up, the free version of Sigil has dropped, complete with a patch fixing up some of the problems found in the initial release.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

You can stream/download my MIDI soundtrack on BandCamp now! There was a bit of demand for that so here it is. It'll also be up on YouTube soon.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I will play it with RUDE, the way it's NOT meant to be played. It should run but with graphics problems, it's the closest thing to vanilla capable of running it. :)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I'm probably going to stream this later today when I don't have obligations. If anyone's interested, my Twitch ID is on my profile here, feel free to follow me if you want to come and watch.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've just tried the compatible version and it works but hey it's unplayable with keyboard only on my laptop. Also demos go out of sync. What did he use to record the demos?
The main version for GZDoom also has demos and they are the same.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I suspect he recorded them with one of the 3.7.x releases, as that was what was available when he made this.

Also for the compatible version - try both the Ultimate Doom and the original Doom 2 executables. Try also PrBoom and see if you can fudge around with the different compatlevels.
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MFG38 »

Not spoiling anything, but I just played through SIGIL in its entirety and rather enjoyed it.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Demos are the same for both wads. DOS exes won't run it as it's limit removing, same for choco. Crispy runs it as well of course and demos go out of sync too.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

well after all that hype etc all I can say is it was, ok I guess. I don't wanna say 'meh' but that totally covers it for me.
it has its good points but I dunno.
guess twas not really for me in the end, to be honest. I'm sure some loved it...
cant say more as I'm not wanting to be a spoiler leak...

so I'll let this guy:
Spoiler:
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That's a really shitty review, here's another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMHq6Zh0hlM
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

osjclatchford wrote:so I'll let this guy:
Spoiler:
Interesting to read the comments. Many pick on the fact that GmanLives didn't know who Buckethead is. A few others pick on the fact he found the lack of custom/Doom2 resources disappointing (i.e. they say "what did you expect in a Doom 1 mod that is meant to feel like it is a continuation of the original game"). However, there aren't many directly contradicting or properly countering the most important point made: that GmanLives found it disappointing.

As for me, I feel much as osjclatchford does. I think it's great that Romero has released this and that he still supports the game (and can still edit very competently for it) but, overall, I don't feel that there is anything in this mod to set the world alight. (Is that a pun/joke? Not sure. Wasn't meant to be.) Part of this will be coloured by the fact that hell themed maps are most definitely not my favourite map style.

Either way I'm glad that it was made and I'm glad that I've played it. BTW, I think Jimmy's midis sound great and it must have been a blast for him and the other community names to have worked with The Romero.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I found it really well done. He really squeezed as much as he could gameplay-wise from DooM 1. It isn't anything revolutionary, but you coudn't expect that anyway. It's just DooM 1 features used to it's fullest and sometimes little bit beyond what is reasonable. He wanted to make a hard and if possible innovative level set and he accomplished that. Civvie11 had the review very well done and I agree with him in almost everything.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yeah, I can't really disagree with any major points that Civvie made either. The map set didn't leave me cold (far from it) but perhaps a little chillier than it left you. ;)

I do feel that using the evil eyes in the way he did for so many important switches (and because of the potential problem that Civvie found) was a bit of a miss-step. Not sure about how each map ends either. I feel that both of those things could have been improved somewhat (perhaps eyes used only for obscure/secret stuff. Not sure what about then end triggers - but they are possible to trigger by accident during a fight).
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Enjay wrote:I do feel that using the evil eyes in the way he did for so many important switches (and because of the potential problem that Civvie found) was a bit of a miss-step. Not sure about how each map ends either. I feel that both of those things could have been improved somewhat (perhaps eyes used only for obscure/secret stuff. Not sure what about then end triggers - but they are possible to trigger by accident during a fight).
I personally didn't see any problem with the eye switches (conceptually; the issue Civvie brought up is a valid design concern, though, and also a good example for why you shouldn't restrict yourself to older map formats when you want to do something more complicated that they weren't designed for). The only one I had an issue with finding was secret-related. On the topic of secrets, though, it's a bit sad to see some secrets still working on the principle of "activate this random nondescript wall to open a secret room" (or if there is any out-of-place detail, it's lost in the low light levels). Wall-humping never was an enjoyable pastime for me. Particularly when there are also walls with visual discontinuities that don't do anything.

The end-level trigger was also initially a problem. That time I inadvertently ended the first level when I wanted to go back and hunt for missed secrets was pretty annoying. But once I realized that's how the levels end it hasn't been a problem.

Return to “General”