automap stat positioning

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

killpixel

automap stat positioning

Post by killpixel »

it's often the case that when I hit tab to quickly see the monster and secret count they are obscured by messages since both occupy the top left of the screen, which is annoying because I have to wait for the messages to clear before I can see the information I'm looking for. the option to position the stats to the top of the status bar (where the map title is) would be very nice, something like this:
Dark Jaguar

Re: automap stat positioning

Post by Dark Jaguar »

The only issue I can see would be especially long level names clipping into that display. Maybe the upper right corner would do?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Lower edge does not work for the cited reason.
killpixel

Post by killpixel »

Ah, yeah. Perhaps the right corner beneath the clock would work? Seems kinda weird since monsters/secrets have labels. Maybe the option to hide messages when in the automap is a better solution.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

okay, I hate to be the one that asks that question, but what was the problem with the original spacing, exactly? It left some space for the message line, looked better, and didn't seem to have any obvious faults that would warrant a relayout.
killpixel

Post by killpixel »

InsanityBringer wrote:okay, I hate to be the one that asks that question, but what was the problem with the original spacing, exactly? It left some space for the message line, looked better, and didn't seem to have any obvious faults that would warrant a relayout.

I often quickly TAB to glimpse the monster/secret count, but almost always the info is obscured, which is disruptive and annoying. I'd prefer not to see messages at all when I'm in the automap.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

oh, sorry, I probably should have clarified, I meant the pre-4.0.0 spacing where there was actual spacing between the text and the top of the screen.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Only solution I can think of atm is to center HUD messages. "con_centernotify 1" to enable. Or go to HUD Options -> Message Options -> Center Messages.
This is the default for Heretic & Hexen.
Dark Jaguar

Post by Dark Jaguar »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Only solution I can think of atm is to center HUD messages. "con_centernotify 1" to enable. Or go to HUD Options -> Message Options -> Center Messages.
This is the default for Heretic & Hexen.
I think the user here was seeking something a little closer to vanilla behavior, since technically there's any number of alternate huds that would provide a list of those 3 stats without even needing to go into the automap. I guess there's a few ways to handle it after all.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”