Redemption Of The Slain (Non brutal Doom Version)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheCastle

Redemption Of The Slain (Non brutal Doom Version)

Post by TheCastle »

So I was fairly recently approached with the prospect of making a version of my Redemption Of The Slain doom 2 level balanced for standard GZDoom.

This thread if you want to see.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/719180/d ... 733547440/

Redemption Of The Slain was made for Brutal Doom originally but I am prepping for working on a new special version of the map balanced to run without Brutal Doom in addition to adding some more content as well. Its already a pretty large level though. I am fairly sure that some of the battles need to be reworked to feel better with vanilla Doom 2 weapons and such.

The download for the original version is located on my steemit.
https://steemit.com/gaming/@thecastle/d ... d-download

Ill try to update here once I begin working on the level. Its also likely I will Live Stream working on the map on my DLive which is located here :
https://dlive.tv/TheCastle

If there are any updates, videos or Live streams ill makes sure to post in this thread. You can thank the person in the steam community for asking me as I would not have even thought about coming back to this level if it were not for that thread.
Notes : I am still expecting you to have Mouse look, Jump and crouch to play the map. I am also told that I should include the metal songs in the download to make installation much easier and guarantee it is played with the correct music. Not sure if that is ok with the people who made that music.

As always any feedback is welcome.
SiFi270

Re: Redemption Of The Slain (Non brutal Doom Version)

Post by SiFi270 »

As someone who loved the original map but doesn't love brutt so much, I am hyped. As for the music, people should be able to get around it by loading the SC-55 pack for Ultimate Doom if nothing else. Will this upcoming version still have different monster spawns for skills 4 and 5?
TheCastle

Post by TheCastle »

SiFi270 wrote:As someone who loved the original map but doesn't love brutt so much, I am hyped. As for the music, people should be able to get around it by loading the SC-55 pack for Ultimate Doom if nothing else. Will this upcoming version still have different monster spawns for skills 4 and 5?
My goal is to fix everything so it all works properly. Then toss in some extra stuff.
djonas

Post by djonas »

Sigil and this. There will be some summer ass kicking for Doomguy.

I can't wait to see the new areas.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Hello mr.castle!

at first i was like "The fuck is Dtube?" and upon futher reserch i found out it steem/steemit related :o . at least i know where you are now video wise as the youtube ones just... stoped (I don't think you put a notice on it. waybe on twitter or steemit but i don't really see steemit)

That aside i played the original RofTS quite a lot. even with other mods. (The only thing i could not change was the music, for reason's you likely already know) and this really well made.

Here hopeing that your "Map vacination/Reduxing process" goes smoothly! :D
TheCastle

Post by TheCastle »

kadu522 wrote:Hello mr.castle!

at first i was like "The fuck is Dtube?" and upon futher reserch i found out it steem/steemit related :o . at least i know where you are now video wise as the youtube ones just... stoped (I don't think you put a notice on it. waybe on twitter or steemit but i don't really see steemit)

That aside i played the original RofTS quite a lot. even with other mods. (The only thing i could not change was the music, for reason's you likely already know) and this really well made.

Here hopeing that your "Map vacination/Reduxing process" goes smoothly! :D
Yeah steemit and Dtube are my main locations. My Youtube is kind of just there now for very basic content. DLive is also my streaming platform and I plan to stream working on it.
I imagine the process will be fairly smooth. The hardest part will be testing every single area with normal doom weapons and such. It may take a week or 3 since I am working on various other things at the same time.

Ill make sure to try and announce 24 hours ahead of time before each stream starts. I have a very late stream schedule so keep that in mind.
TheCastle

Post by TheCastle »

I know I said I would say 24 hours in advance but I plan to stream both Revulsion and Doom 2 dev work tonight.

Follow me here if you want to check it out.
TheCastle

Post by TheCastle »

DLive Stream Recap : Doom2/Revulsion. (Redemption Of The Slain Rework)
https://busy.org/@thecastle/gamedev-doo ... ain-rework

The first livestream went well. The level is getting a ton of additional content. I also realized that Doombuilder can be used to make content for my game Revulsion.
djonas

Post by djonas »

This looked very interesting. I didn't like the Arachnotron replacement as Mancubus in the early section though, that was more interesting that way. But the new area looked claustrophobic.
TheCastle

Post by TheCastle »

djonas wrote:But the new area looked claustrophobic.
The idea is that its a small section and it opens up to be less claustrophobic very quickly. But ill keep this in mind just in case its just not fun.
djonas

Post by djonas »

TheCastle wrote:
The idea is that its a small section and it opens up to be less claustrophobic very quickly. But ill keep this in mind just in case its just not fun.
You misunderstood me. I think it's a great area, claustrophobic in a great way.
TheCastle

Post by TheCastle »

djonas wrote:
TheCastle wrote:
You misunderstood me. I think it's a great area, claustrophobic in a great way.
Oh!

Tomorrow nights stream will be focused on Doom 2 mapping.

12:00-1:00 AM EST is my usual starting time.
TheCastle

Post by TheCastle »

DLive Stream : Recap : Doom 2, ROTS Rework
https://busy.org/@thecastle/dlive-strea ... ots-rework

This is a recap of the stream with a link to the vod. The entire night was focused on the new section of the map.
With that said its not quite enough yet, I plan to do another pass on this section once I have an idea of what might be good to do.
Taking suggestions!
Gez

Post by Gez »

TheCastle wrote:I also realized that Doombuilder can be used to make content for my game Revulsion.
That's neat, but more precisely, does it mean that
... Revulsion natively uses a Doom map format?
... Revulsion can interpret Doom maps on the fly?
... DB can be modified to read and write Revulsion maps?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Gez wrote:
TheCastle wrote:I also realized that Doombuilder can be used to make content for my game Revulsion.
That's neat, but more precisely, does it mean that
... Revulsion natively uses a Doom map format?
... Revulsion can interpret Doom maps on the fly?
... DB can be modified to read and write Revulsion maps?
Going by one of his blog posts, it seems he's using an export function in DB.

Return to “Levels”