Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
salahmander2

Re: Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.3

Post by salahmander2 »

Ahhhh I was gonna say, the siholette map has the same sort of pallet style with some of them hack's levels. Plus there's a lotta music from that hack that's in Golden Souls 2. It's pretty cool.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

I can’t believe it.

One of the first custom maps I’ve ever played (other than the notorious nuts.wad) was The City Of The Damned – Apocalypse. Exploring that incredibly atmospheric map made me realize how great the engine was and how much you could achieve with some imagination.
A fellow friend of mine, Duke_Nume (which you might remember as the maker of some Golden Souls 1 guest maps) taught me the basics of Doom Builder 2.

After that, I’ve made a couple of maps and tried to make a megawad called “Gore”, it was inspired by Tormentor667’s maps and Happy Time Circus. I had plenty of ideas but the end result was not very good, so I ended up abandoning it.
In 2011, Duke asked me if I wanted to join him for a project called Serious Sam: The Retro Encounter, a TC based on Croteam’s glorious franchise. After months of work we made a complete multiplayer experience, with the plan of adding single player maps later after completing all the assets, but the first release was met with mixed results, and we quickly lost interest.

Serious Sam 3 released in the same year,and because of the hype for that game I’ve decided to pick up the project again and remake it from scratch. Duke wasn’t in the team anymore as an active developer but he still helped by giving me advice and playtesting everything.

I’ve continued working on this remake for two years, and then since I was getting pretty slow at mapping I decided to work on something else to blow off some steam, so I came up with the idea of a bright, cheery mapset inspired by a previous test map I made which was set in an Aztec garden and had a relaxing purple-pinkish sky.

The mapset would be known as Golden Souls a couple of months later, and was announced in 2013 after New Year’s Eve. The idea of having a hub was, curiously, not directly inspired by Mario 64, but by another mod I was playing at that time, Unloved. I really appreciated how BlueEagle managed to capture this feeling of exploring an interconnected world, and I really wanted to make something similar to that, but with a totally different theme, and so Mario’s paintings came to mind.

Back when I first started playing Doom mods in 2010, I couldn’t even think of winning a Cacoward, and here we go, 8 years later. I really want to thank everyone who helped me in all these years, it’s been a wonderful journey and I hope to continue making content for this incredible community.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

You totally deserve it man! Congratulations!
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

Congratulations! Golden Souls 2 is amazing all the way around.
Vader

Post by Vader »

Congatulations, well deserved!
Randumb
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Randumb »

Truly amazing! And you know, that might not be the only award you'll be getting in your career... so keep it up!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Super Starry Congratulations, and I salute you for releasing great mods like Golden Soul series and Serious Sam Retro Encounter. Both mods are still great to play yet brings me good memories. You certainly deserve The Cacoward and more than itself. You have done a great job contributing to Doom Community. I would like to see more stuff from you in the future, doom-relate or not, doesn't matter! Your uniqueness is now well known, after all!

Once again, i congratulate you for achieving Cacoward. You totally deserve it!
Batandy

Re: Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.4

Post by Batandy »

Finally, a New Version of Golden Souls 2!

Features some major changes such as enemies having to be in a certain range in order to fire at you, so no more bullet hell at higher difficulties!
Tons of maps tweaked, bugs fixed and there's also a fully reworked fullscreen hud!
DOWNLOAD:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-the-gol ... souls-2-14

Code: Select all

Changelog

___Map Changes____

-MAP01 "Green Plains
*Removed teleport from the second coin, added some platforms to jump back to the bridge.

-MAP06 "Calescent Castle"
*Tweaked Big Coin jumping section near indoor moving block
*Tweaked hallway after the cannons
*Removed the Red Plant in the final section before the boss door

-MAP19 "Pumpkin Pathway"
*A sign now informs the player that there are in fact 3 exits in this map.

-MAP21 "Venom Villa"
*Fixed being able to jump through small holes in the wall and break the switch puzzle (Thanks, Icarus!)

-MAP22 "Fort Phantom"
*Reworked section with moving spike pillars to be less frustrating

-MAP23 "Pretty Petals Peak"
*Fixed Exit switch not using the correct texture

-MAP24 "Mount Mirror"
*Tweaked final platforming section so it requires less precision (Near the Mancubus spawn)

-MAP31 "Crescent Moon Manor"
*Fixed door texture alignment in the first outdoor section

-MAP32 "Tower Rewot"
*Added some pillars in the inverted starting section that make it easier to reach the doors 

-MAP39 "Demonic Den"
*Fixed exit using wrong switch texture

-MAP44 "Silhouette Sunset
*Tree near the first checkpoint now correctly display as pitch black like the rest of the map
*Fixed the placement of several ceiling plants in the underwater section
*Fixed vine hole not displaying the correct skybox in the underwater section

-MAP47 "Spider Mansion"
*Fixed alignment of several wooden ceilings

-Hell World Map
*Fixed texture alignment near slopes
___General___

*New, fullscreen compatible hud that doesn't stretch anymore and works with any resolution!
*Vader is in the game credits under the Sprites section (he was credited as KDIZD team and not individually before)

___Balance Changes___

-Regular Enemies
*Several enemies must now be in a certain range to shoot at you (No more getting shot by random projectiles across the map!)
*Cactuses now ignore the +FASTMONSTERS flag
*Spike Throwers' don't disappear anymore after their gib death animation.

-Bosses
*A certain Cyberdemon servant now has half the health he had before (Not spoilers!)
*Final Boss and several other bosses now ignore +FASTMONSTERS flag
*Final Boss can no longer spawn Hierophants and Revenants
*Final Boss can no longer be stunlocked with the Star Starshooter's Alt Fire
Last edited by Batandy on Mon May 20, 2019 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
siealex

Post by siealex »

*A sign now informs the player that there are in fact 3 secret exits in this map.
3 SECRET exits? Or 3 exits total?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

siealex wrote:
*A sign now informs the player that there are in fact 3 secret exits in this map.
3 SECRET exits? Or 3 exits total?
3 exits, sorry. I wrote the changelog in a hurry so there are some mistakes.
siealex

Post by siealex »

Features some major changes such as enemies having to be in a certain range in order to fire at you, so no more bullet hell at higher difficulties!
O, yes, no more silhouette sunset madness...
siealex

Post by siealex »

*Removed teleport from the second coin, added some platforms to jump back to the bridge.
By the way, these platforms can be used also to jump into the cavity.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

siealex wrote:
By the way, these platforms can be used also to jump into the cavity.
It's intentional, don't worry.
WallyTheBoogieBug

Post by WallyTheBoogieBug »

Having a bug in the new gzdoom version where blocks can't be pushed down ledges. Tested on Map06 with nothing autoloaded and no other mods, using GZDoom 1.4.2. GS2 1.3 is having the same problem. It prevents the level from being beaten, unfortunately.
Gez

Post by Gez »

WallyTheBoogieBug wrote:Having a bug in the new gzdoom version where blocks can't be pushed down ledges. Tested on Map06 with nothing autoloaded and no other mods, using GZDoom 1.4.2.
I suppose you meant 4.1.2. That should probably be reported in the GZDoom bug section though.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”