Deluxe Paint Chisel Font

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Enjay

Deluxe Paint Chisel Font

Post by Enjay »

The old Amiga and DOS image editing program (used in the development of Doom) shipped with a couple of built in bitmap fonts. One of them, I thought, might work as a font in GZDoom and because I'd been posting about ImageTool elsewhere, I decided to quickly throw together a font using the DPaint Chisel font.

The characters are quite big, so it's not really a universal drop-in for a dbigfont lump, but someone might find a use for it somewhere.

I have attached a PK3 with it replacing dbigfont just to make it easy to load up and look at, but (like I said) it's probably not best used like that.

Attachments
dpaint.pk3
Contains compiled lump and the source PCX.
(31.07 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Deluxe Paint Chisle Font

Post by wildweasel »

Ah yes, the font of a hundred little DOS shareware games. :mrgreen:
Enjay

Re: Deluxe Paint Chisel Font

Post by Enjay »

Indeed, a well known font for people who were around at that time.

As an aside, you'll notice that my screenshot with (nearly) all of the characters in it is missing a couple, specifically " and \. The problem is that these do things inside a HUDMessage. Is there any way to print them as part of a HUDMessage? (Been meaning to ask that question for ages.)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Since those are reserved as escape characters, it is possible to display them with the escape characters - a backslash is \\, while a quotation mark is \".
Smedis2

Post by Smedis2 »

I've seen this font EVERYWHERE, but I had no idea what the canon name for it was. Thank you for your eternal enlightenment.

Return to “Resources”