The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
neoworm

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by neoworm »

I hope I will manage with Blender MD3 export plugin. I was thinking about having two models - one for open chest, other for closed one, but as far as I know I can't have one decorate object with two models for different frames. Luckilly it's just a problem witch chests. I want to do set of destructable furniture which can be just bunch of static models.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Use Noesis Moel Viewer. It can export to MD3.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

neoworm wrote:I hope I will manage with Blender MD3 export plugin. I was thinking about having two models - one for open chest, other for closed one, but as far as I know I can't have one decorate object with two models for different frames. Luckilly it's just a problem witch chests. I want to do set of destructable furniture which can be just bunch of static models.
You can have two different models in different frames for the same actor. You just need to set up a MODELDEF definition for the second model and alocate it to the second frame of the actor.

Doing it this way will mean that the chest is either open or closed whereas if you do it with an animated MD3, you can have a smoother animation.

[edit]Just remembered that I did something similar a little while back: viewtopic.php?f=124&t=62250&p=1077494#p1077494 [/edit]
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Enjay wrote:You can have two different models in different frames for the same actor. You just need to set up a MODELDEF definition for the second model and alocate it to the second frame of the actor.

Doing it this way will mean that the chest is either open or closed whereas if you do it with an animated MD3, you can have a smoother animation.

[edit]Just remembered that I did something similar a little while back: viewtopic.php?f=124&t=62250&p=1077494#p1077494 [/edit]
Good to know. I would be probably fine with having just open and closed states without animation, but animation is always better. Can I use the scripts from your test map?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

neoworm wrote:Good to know. I would be probably fine with having just open and closed states without animation, but animation is always better. Can I use the scripts from your test map?
Sure you can, but there's nothing particularly fancy about them.

To be clear though, it's an animated MD3, not a 2 model open/closed chest, so the DECORATE (etc) reflects that.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

My scripting abilities are very limited. I know I have to use ACS for switchable decorations, but I would have to research particulars. Your example is good starting point.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

To be fair, if you are just activating the item (or deactivating it) then line types 130 (Thing_Activate) and 131 (Thing_DeActivate) work without you having to script anything. However, if you want the same line to activate/deactivate the item then a little script (possibly like the one I used) would be useful.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

[wiki=Actor_properties#Activation]You don't even need a script or line.[/wiki] :)

You can set the actor up to take a SpawnID as its first argument, then call [wiki]Thing_Spawn[/wiki] to create it when opened. (If you wanted to be really fancy, you could spawn the item immediately but hide it, and then unhide it when the chest is opened. That way item counts would be correct from map start, even if you haven't opened the chest.)
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I got the animation working, but converting from blender 2.8 to blender 2.7 to be able to use MD3 export broke normals, broke materials and broke UV. I was able to fix the first two, but the UV are broken in a way I don't know how to fix. When the chest is open, they are fine, when the chest closes textures on some parts flicker or rotate. I blame shape keys animation and confused normals. It would be best if I could use the MD3 convertor in Blender 2.8, but the plugin won't load at all.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Google Npherno's md3 compiler. It's an older program and sometimes tricky to find a good download for, but it's great at fixing normals.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

i like it
very idtech1 aesthetic
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

That Right Chest looks a bit weird, got another plank on top of it, but looks quite nice for Hexen overall!
Nash

Post by Nash »

Model-based door system that correctly blocks line of sight and sound without any mapper intervention (it just knows which linedef to find and set/unset the flags)
Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

I haven't moved to Blender 2.8 yet - is anyone planning on updating the .md3 export plugin?
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Nash wrote:Model-based door system that correctly blocks line of sight and sound without any mapper intervention (it just knows which linedef to find and set/unset the flags)
Sooo... Once I figure out how to reliably convert blender models to MD3 I will make some doors too...

Return to “Off-Topic”