GZdoom and Brutal Doom

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
GenericGenericness

GZdoom and Brutal Doom

Post by GenericGenericness »

So... I don't quite recall and I can't quite find the wad for this execute... but long ago I installed a self-extracting total brutal doom mod... it has totally redone levels and stories through a somewhat modified and updated Doom I and II story line.

Recently I have been getting this error message since updating my gzdoom:

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
Using program directory for storage

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "IWADINFO" line 9:
Unknown keyword 'IWADName'
Maybe I should know exactly what this is... but I don't.

For a while gzdoom stopped working very correctly till the most recent update, it would have flashing graphics and text, and the game would lag and eventually crash as it went. Again the most recent update has seem to fixed this for the general gzdoom game...

But the special startup for the brutal doom mod... no go...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: GZdoom and Brutal Doom

Post by wildweasel »

It's possible that this copy of Brutal Doom is broken in such a way that older GZDooms don't care about it, but newer ones do. Without seeing the file itself (which hopefully by "self-extracting", they don't mean "it contains the full commercial Doom2.wad"), I couldn't say much further.
GenericGenericness

How about a link to a copy of said version I mention? Like the whole brutal doom that has the revamped story and levels?

And no... it is very much not the Doom I or Doom II game...
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Is it even legal to distribute this? Please PM the Developers group directly with the link to this file. I do not want to risk distributing copyrighted content on this site illegally.
GenericGenericness

Rachael wrote:Is it even legal to distribute this? Please PM the Developers group directly with the link to this file. I do not want to risk distributing copyrighted content on this site illegally.
Uh...

The way I am aware the gzdoom and mods work is... you need to have the first doom wads on your own... like for the vanilla game.

But the addons/mods you can add to the game aren't copy right protected or intellectual property far as fair use goes... like... as long as you are not claiming it as your own or something along those lines...

If there is some aspect to this that I am not aware of... I am not aware of it... I generally know that the whole modding community for gzdoom generally does this...

I'm honestly a little taken back at the question/comment... I assume you must know this so I am wondering if you are meaning something else and/or I am missing something. So please forgive me if that seems too basic...

But sure I will forward this thread and send a message. [update: So... when I select Gzdoom developers... it doesn't seem to send... I am not very familiar with how this board setup goes... so... please forgive me also for this too...]
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I apologize for the apprehension towards you linking this thing, but for some reason the nature of a significant number of Brutal Doom sub mods seems to be that they include "everything needed to play" - including the actual Doom data. Not everybody is as careful about distribution of commercial property as most of us are. :shrug:
GenericGenericness

wildweasel wrote:I apologize for the apprehension towards you linking this thing, but for some reason the nature of a significant number of Brutal Doom sub mods seems to be that they include "everything needed to play" - including the actual Doom data. Not everybody is as careful about distribution of commercial property as most of us are. :shrug:
No need to apologize... I was/am just a bit confused...

I am not here to cause trouble or inconvenience...

I was not aware that the downloaded mod content contained the original doom wads. So that must be the missing bit of information for me.
GenericGenericness

Okie dokie... I pulled out one of my very old archive files... and sure enough the old zip is there... its "Brutal_Doom_20b_Hell_on_Earth_Starter_Pack", has Sergent_Mark_IV in the title screen, and its ~181,800KB. I found a wiki for it https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Brutal_Doom:_ ... arter_Pack and the mod site listed there if you follow the link says it is out of date or no longer supported... I won't link that... I hope this link isn't an issue.

I don't mean to share this as a violation or anything like that.

But on the plus side... unzipping the old zip I found seems to work well enough for my purposes. So I guess at a quick glance this looks resolved. [update: maybe one tiny little issue, the graphics seem to glitch, the glitch I have noticed through the first level of gameplay is that sprites seem to jump out of place as the screen moves]

But before I forget, and if it is very permitted, does anyone know of the wad independent of this download so I can load it into a newer gzdoom? Maybe?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

It's the official starter pack here no problem linking to it:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/recurring-ni ... arter-pack
That BD v20 is broken an won't run with modern GZDoom, download this fixed version:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/ ... y-edition/
And then load brutalv20b.pk3, brutalv20c_UP.pk3 and the map pack with your modern GZD (copy them to your GZD folder and use ZDL). You might want to use one of the smivhud wads too. From the starter pack zip you need ExtraTextures.wad (i think) and hellonearthstarterpack.wad.
The starter pack probably will run with BD v21 as well.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Aye, it does contain an IWAD, but it's the FreeDoom one.

@GenericGenericness, as wildweasel indicated, a lot of these "everything you need to play Brutal Doom" packs come with the original commercial IWADs included. Distributing those is illegal so we have to be cautious about it. This pack does not include any of the commercial IWADs. There's nothing wrong with distributing a legal mod or linking to it from these forums.

That being said, as is typical of Brutal Doom, it does contain the usual Brutal Doom collection of ripped and uncredited resources.
GenericGenericness

drfrag wrote:It's the official starter pack here no problem linking to it:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/recurring-ni ... arter-pack
That BD v20 is broken an won't run with modern GZDoom, download this fixed version:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/ ... y-edition/
And then load brutalv20b.pk3, brutalv20c_UP.pk3 and the map pack with your modern GZD (copy them to your GZD folder and use ZDL). You might want to use one of the smivhud wads too. From the starter pack zip you need ExtraTextures.wad (i think) and hellonearthstarterpack.wad.
The starter pack probably will run with BD v21 as well.
Thank you... any thoughts on the minor but significant glitching of graphics on occasion?
GenericGenericness

Enjay wrote:That being said, as is typical of Brutal Doom, it does contain the usual Brutal Doom collection of ripped and uncredited resources.
As in like... it isn't nice that they didn't give better credit to the people who did the work before them... or its not allowed on this message board community?

Because of what I understand of at least US intellectual property law that such fan-made products, especially because they are basically building upon what doom is, that it could be copy righted... Even if it used radically different code/methods/graphics/media as long as the gameplay was substantially similar I think a court would agree that its the property of ID Software.

But I am no expert on copy right law or intellectual property... I am just wanting to play some gzdoom... and avoid trouble or inconvenience for folk here.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

GenericGenericness wrote:As in like... it isn't nice that they didn't give better credit to the people who did the work before them...
Yes, that. Unfortunately, that's what BD has always been like.
GenericGenericness

Okay... so there is still a minor graphic issue... I could start another thread if that is deemed more proper... but I rather keep it here...

There is a graphic glitch where sprites will appear through walls or move around as the player moves or don't properly/quickly load... It isn't all the time.... and it will catch itself and correct it... but it does make gameplay a bit less than very enjoyable... Is there anything I can do about this?

Spoiler:
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That has to be a graphic driver problem (amd?), update your drivers. If it doesn't help you could try an older engine (for instance ZDoom LE is already in the pack i told you, it's very old but enough to play that pack). Now Extermination Day is about to be released BTW.
To play as a Baron try Romero's Heresy II. :)

Return to “Technical Issues”