[WIP] AIM: Make Every Shot Count

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
yaldabaoth

[WIP] AIM: Make Every Shot Count

Post by yaldabaoth »

AIM: Make Every Shot Count - Version 0.6

This is a mod where precision and speed are everything.
Its goal is to simplify combat and challenge the player as much as possible.

AIM is still in beta state and has many elements not included yet.
I'd be grateful criticism, suggestions or help.
Thank you.

Download via MediaFire:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/h0zt42ox ... 6.pk3/file

This mod works for Version 4.1.1 of GZDoom and the latest version of Zdoom
If you encounter trouble, please send me a bugreport with what happened and what version you were using (and if you had any other mods active).
Note: Many maps may not be possible to play or finish due some features of the mod (eg. it's not possible to defeat the Icon of Sin)

How it works:
Spoiler:
Recommended way to play:
Spoiler:
Changelog:
Spoiler:
Contact and Credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by yaldabaoth on Mon May 20, 2019 3:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] AIM: Make Every Shot Count

Post by MFG38 »

Interesting idea. I'll make a note of giving this a spin.
yaldabaoth

Post by yaldabaoth »

MFG38 wrote:Interesting idea. I'll make a note of giving this a spin.
Thank you for your interest. After gametesting I noticed a mistake I made and fixed that right away.
A new version is up for download now.

Also I added a Changelog for the future.
SimonTheDigger

Post by SimonTheDigger »

What source port is this meant to be used with? I'm using version 4.1.0 of GZDoom and when I start a new game I don't have any weapons at all, not even the "best gun" that I'm supposed to.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Just loaded it up, and...a projectile? Interesting choice. It's a little larger than I expected--I keep missing by way of having my shots clip a wall or corner I'm standing next to. I was kind of expecting this to be a railgun, but this'll do.

Suggestion: "Heavy" mode--an alternate gamemode where, instead of having as much ammo as you have monsters to kill, you have exactly 6 shots and you gain 1 back every time you hit. If you miss, however...
yaldabaoth

Post by yaldabaoth »

SimonTheDigger wrote:What source port is this meant to be used with? I'm using version 4.1.0
That's weird but my fault. I tested this with the latest Zdoom version and g3.3.2 of GZDoom, which is now quite dated. I'll update and take a look.
dawnbreez wrote:kind of expecting this to be a railgun, but this'll do.
Suggestion: "Heavy" mode.
A railgun would be a good idea and yes, I didn't edit the radius of the original Plasmaball so it's quite big and bulky. This will be fixed in the next version, I will either make it smaller or replace with the railgun outright.
I also like your idea of the gamemode, it's merciless. I will put it in if you don't mind (I'll add you to the credits)
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Go right ahead! I'm glad to have helped.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Tried playing it, and there were no guns. Didn't spawn with one, couldn't spawn one, nor cheat one in.
yaldabaoth

Post by yaldabaoth »

EddieMann wrote:Tried playing it, and there were no guns. Didn't spawn with one, couldn't spawn one, nor cheat one in.
Can you give me some info on what version you are using and if you ran this with any other mods?
This problem has previously occurred but so far I've been unable to replicate this bug.
From my end, the mod works with 4.1, 3.3 and the latest zdoom.

I'd like to upload a new version this weekend and make sure this is fixed.
yaldabaoth

Post by yaldabaoth »

Say hello to Version 0.6!

Biggest news: Two new Gamemodes: Earn it and Time Attack
The ugly, inaccurate plasmaball was replaced by a wonderfully deadly Railgunlaser!
Cvars now allow for easy customization.
And a new player character was added, his speed and jump height is higher than that of our default marine.

Check How it works and Changelog for some more details.

It is still to say that this mod isn't finished yet and there's many things that need fixing and changing. I'm open for suggestions of any kind!
Thank you and have a great weekend.
SimonTheDigger

Post by SimonTheDigger »

You said you tested this on version 3.3.2 of GZDoom? I can only get it to work on version 3.3.1. Anything newer than that, no dice.

FAKE EDIT: It also works on the very latest version of GZDoom, 4.1.2. So I guess that problem's solved?
yaldabaoth

Post by yaldabaoth »

SimonTheDigger wrote:You said you tested this on version 3.3.2 of GZDoom? I can only get it to work on version 3.3.1. Anything newer than that, no dice.

FAKE EDIT: It also works on the very latest version of GZDoom, 4.1.2. So I guess that problem's solved?
Huh, super weird. Zdoom also works (2.8.1).
I will put in the OP, I forgot to mention that til now.
Thank you for checking things, it's not that easy for me to check multiple version since I'm on Linux and it would require me to compile them all.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

This would make playing Oblige maps impossible, just saying. Not saying that I would but is there already a warning for longer maps?
Athel

Post by Athel »

OK this is such an attack on my playstyle and I love it. I usually go in, all guns blazing, not caring much if I missed any shots. But this... sheesh. It's tight, that's for sure. It's a different take on gameplay mods and I commend you for your originality in the idea. It's a shame it doesn't work on any version of GZDooM less than 4.x, though that confuses me. GZDoom 3.6 flashes some ACS errors which prevent the gun from even showing up, leading me to think this isn't as simple a job as I thought.

Still, a pretty fun mod for what it is. Is it intentional to leave infighting the way it is though (as in enemies can kill others without any sort of deduction from your own ammo count)? And (though I have yet to try it) what about the Map 30/ Icon of Sin-esque maps? TNT30 especially concerns me a bit, but then again I've yet to try it out.

EDIT: I tried Doom 2's map 30 and my concerns seem to be right on the money here. There's currently no way to attack the IoS itself. Another thing I forgot to mention is that Pain Elementals really add to the tension, since your ammo count doesn't increase for every lost soul they spit. Again, not sure if this is intentional, but I thought it'd be good to note as feedback.
yaldabaoth

Post by yaldabaoth »

Glaice wrote:This would make playing Oblige maps impossible, just saying. Not saying that I would but is there already a warning for longer maps?
A warning? No, I don't think a warning is necessary. I'm sure every player who tries it out will quickly see what maps would work for them best.
But yes, absolutely. A few maps are impossible to beat, either for lack of health, large abundance of monster placement or, as fellowzdoomer points out, by being similar to the Icon of Sin.

This mod lends itself mainly towards smaller or mid sized levels, I suppose. I've played through most of Scythe with this mod and had a great time but I needed to skip a few of the later maps for one of the before mentioned reasons.
fellowzdoomer wrote:OK this is such an attack on my playstyle and I love it. I usually go in, all guns blazing, not caring much if I missed any shots. But this... sheesh. It's tight, that's for sure. It's a different take on gameplay mods and I commend you for your originality in the idea.
Thank you, I'm glad you like it :D
fellowzdoomer wrote:GZDoom 3.6 flashes some ACS errors which prevent the gun from even showing up, leading me to think this isn't as simple a job as I thought.
I have to take a deeper look at this. It seems peculiar to me that it works completely fine on ZDoom but not on some GZDoom versions.
fellowzdoomer wrote:Still, a pretty fun mod for what it is. Is it intentional to leave infighting the way it is though (as in enemies can kill others without any sort of deduction from your own ammo count)?
Infighting was kept because it doesn't seem too much of an advantage and it's a little shine of hope for the player, knowing they got like 5 bullets more.
I disabled it in the custom difficulty, though, to give it a little extra kick.
And not giving out ammo for any resurrected enemies by the Archvile or the Lost Souls of the Pain Elemental was also a choice. It kinda forces the player to move as quick as possible when they spot on of these critters, or so I thought.

The inability to defeat the IoS or anything similar is a bit of a bummer but I fear the concept of the mod isn't cut out for that, blasting bosses with one accurate shot and all.

Thank you both for your interest. I will do some edits to the OP post to point that out.
I will also do some more testing on the different version and I try to fix it by the next update :>

Return to “Gameplay Mods”