Touhou Doom - Full Release (V1.24)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Touhou Doom - Episode 3.66 (Updated Re-Release)

Post by Untitled »

Good news, Episode IV has reached the testing phase.

The bad news: This isn't releasing any time soon, for the following reason: https://imgur.com/a/htxxpjs

More information will soon follow.
D.Scratch

Post by D.Scratch »

Untitled wrote:Good news, Episode IV has reached the testing phase.

The bad news: This isn't releasing any time soon, for the following reason: https://imgur.com/a/htxxpjs

That's nice, so do you plan to release ep IV with V together?
Alamo985
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alamo985 »

[/size]
Untitled wrote:Good news, Episode IV has reached the testing phase.

Sounds like progress has been made. Glad that you're still working on the mod.
By the way, Brutal Doom v21 RC7 and mods that based around them somehow ruined various maps. I've only tested Episode 1 with mods I've mentioned in previous comment. So far I've found Patchy in Stage 4 wasn't spawn and Sakuya froze the entire game when she started attack. I didn't tested Stage 6 and onward yet (sorry, life happened), but looks like you'll have to work a lot more in order to fix the critical bug in Stage 1. I'll try to test more of them and see if anything broke.
Note: According to Arrowood, CoD: Black Warfare v0.5b UP2 - Brutal Version used Brutal Doom RC7 as it's gore core, and maybe that was the reason why, because when I run the same mod but with Vanilla Version, the map worked fine (Sakuya still froze the game, btw)
Funny thing is, Sakuya (soldier) fought herself (maid) in that mod. Isn't that weird?
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

https://imgur.com/a/znvJok4

Anyone who felt Youmu didn't get enough screen time in Episode II, I'm here to inform you she's back.

And if you know the game she's from, then I will say, yes: the grey-scale screenshot implies exactly what you think it implies.

If you don't, then, well, it'll be fun walking into her fight blind. Good luck, she's where the episode actually gets hard.

EDIT: Also general progress report: Episode V - also known as Extra Story - is a little over halfway done, if we discount the writing - I haven't written the cutscenes yet. I've designed the bosses and the arena to fight them in; this should release later this year, barring anything exploding horribly in my face.

Post by 0.1 »

I know you aren't asking, but I have been following this project for awhile and I made an account just now to post this, but if you want to I can beta test the new episode's of touhou doom!
Dunderbolt

Post by Dunderbolt »

Hey! I really enjoy this mod, and I was just wondering what's going on here: https://imgur.com/NGRZNnS

The latest (and most finish-iest) version of Russian overkill seems to no longer work with Touhou DooM. I've tried giving it a look myself, but I'm an absolute rart when it comes to this stuff. The best I can think of is the "TouhouDemons" section, I think. Take that with a grain of a salt, I'm not good at this. If you have a clue I'd appreciate if you can help me fix this
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Dunderbolt wrote:Hey! I really enjoy this mod, and I was just wondering what's going on here: https://imgur.com/NGRZNnS

The latest (and most finish-iest) version of Russian overkill seems to no longer work with Touhou DooM. I've tried giving it a look myself, but I'm an absolute rart when it comes to this stuff. The best I can think of is the "TouhouDemons" section, I think. Take that with a grain of a salt, I'm not good at this. If you have a clue I'd appreciate if you can help me fix this
Fixed in the final release - good catch on it being TouhouDemons - basically, the issue is that one of the sprite sets in Russian Overkill, CUBE, is also in Touhou Doom (CUBE), and in this particular case, it's causing an error because one version of them (TD's case) needs rotations and the other (RO's case) does not need rotations.

Speaking of final release, I'm pretty close to finished Touhou Doom. I can't reveal too much (Extra Story is best experienced blind, to say the least), but it shouldn't be too much longer.
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

Looking forward to it as much as the Th17 release this year... x]
Untitled

Re: Touhou Doom - Full Release (V1.0)

Post by Untitled »

As you can probably tell from the subject line change, there's a big announcement today.

However, before I make it fully, I want to say a few things.

The first is that I do not want people thinking that what I have done is magic. Well, in-story magic, sure, but what I do not possess is magical wizard skills that allowed me to make this project. Just some DECORATE, ACS, GZDoom Builder, and an absolutely stubborn refusal to give up.

Touhou Doom was as much a experimental learning experience as it was a polished project. I wasn't suddenly better than I actually was.

I ask, if you have the time, read this after beating Touhou Doom: https://pastebin.com/6cXNuBut OR read postmortem.txt in the pk3.

It's over 18 thousand words of exactly what went into this project. That, and a lot of time. I've been quite secretive about the contents of Touhou doom, mostly because there are a number of things that are best experienced somewhat blind. But my silence does not mean that it magically dropped out of the blue.

The second thing I want to say is that, while I DID do most of this myself, there's a lengthy credits list for a reason. Here's my special thanks:
-dekw, my most valiant tester, and frequent annoyance in bug finding. He helped make this the most stable build yet.
-TerminusEst13, super cool dude who was very inspirational to me. He listened to me complain about mapping endlessly.
-the Touhou fandom for being insane in ways that were also inspirational to me. Seriously, Touhou fangames are a work of art, and that standard made me try harder.

So, finally, the moment we've all been waiting for:

Touhou Doom's Full Release is out.

Link is in the OP.

EDIT: Oh dear, I forgot the proper changelog. Let me fix that:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Untitled on Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Untitled

Re: Touhou Doom - Full Release (V1.01)

Post by Untitled »

IMPORTANT HOTFIX FOR ANYONE USING MODERN GZDOOM VERSIONS

MAP25 was completely broken.

It turns out modern versions of GZDoom handle monster behavior slightly differently than older versions; I accidentally let one of the monster teleporter linedefs has an activation condition of "monster presses use", and it turns out in older ZDoom versions monsters don't press use continuously. On GZDoom they *do* which meant monsters could get out of the teleporter closet before they're supposed to, making one of the fights basically unplayable.

Link in the OP.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Re: Touhou Doom - Full Release (V1.01)

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

Map 23 seems to be totally borked: Cacodemons and Pain elementals die in the red room and the spider mastermind doesn't spawn in at all after killing the barons. Played on Normal, GZD 4.1.2.
Untitled

Re: Touhou Doom - Full Release (V1.07)

Post by Untitled »

In grand tradition, I actually never tested the easier difficulties, and, as it turns out, none of my testers did.

So it turns out *a lot* of stuff was borked if you were not on lunatic. This includes:
-MAP20 can be exited via the blue teleporter.
-MAP23 spawns the masterminds properly.
-MAP25 has the bruiser/cybruiser (blue keycard) room work.
-And, rather humiliatingly, even more stuff!

So, uh, all of that stuff is fixed. V1.02 is out in the OP, as per always.

EDIT: Also, I got so giddy on the idea of releasing this that, rather unfortunately, part of me got too swept up in the "oh my god I'M RELEASING THIS" to actually realize that there was still a lot of untested crap.

Alas, not the release I was hoping for, but let this be a lesson in premature releases, which is to say: don't do them.

EDIT #2: Also, there's a V1.03, because I found out something today: Accidentally tagging a 'Actor Hits Floor' thing as 'Friendly (MBF Logic)' in GZDoom Builder causes it to not function. At all. Also, this is a GZDoom only behavior. I think.

EDIT #3: V1.04 - it turns out that Marisa could actually kill you in MAP27. One of her attacks was damagetyped incorrectly - or, it *was*, but she fired the wrong projectile. Whoops.

EDIT #4: V1.06. I finally fixed the Hakkero Fire memory leak.
Untitled

Re: Touhou Doom - Full Release (V1.08)

Post by Untitled »

Sorry for the double post, but I need to credit someone here: thanks to QuakedoomNukem Cz, we have shaved off 115 MB off the project filesize.

(Also, MAP21's boss theme was swapped out and replaced with a different remix of the same theme).

V1.08 is out. Also fixes a grammatical error, though that's less relevant.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Neat, time to download this and dig out Bullet-Eye again.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

You seem to have accidentally deleted DIPP_ESM from the files, when importing the smaller music files I've sent you. Same thing with BURNHEAT. Also, Map21 music description still says it's Gradius 3, but it's 5, along with it being possible to play again, after the cyberdemon is killed. Suggestion? Cyberdemon steps over it and triggers the music instead. It's a good thing I've backed all of the music up before doing what I did. https://www.dropbox.com/s/al71t04cc9b7q ... v.zip?dl=0
Last edited by QuakedoomNukem Cz on Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”