[4.1.1] Crash with Vulkan enabled on DoomRPG SE's Outpost

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

[4.1.1] Crash with Vulkan enabled on DoomRPG SE's Outpost

Post by Zhs2 »

GZDoom Vulkan crashes whenever it attempts to render the Outpost map of DoomRPG SE. I cannot pin down exactly why this happens all by myself, but I do have a crash report to offer. Loading the map by itself without the rest of DoomRPG's resources does not seem to cause the crash, so perhaps it is a texture oddity?
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
(40.61 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
dpJudas

Re: [4.1.1] Crash with Vulkan enabled on DoomRPG SE's Outpos

Post by dpJudas »

Anyone have a link to the actual pk3 for this mod? Seems the links I'm finding wants me to download launchers and run various exe files.
XxMiltenXx
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by XxMiltenXx »

Apparently for manual installation - as they call it - you have to download this whole repository here and then follow these instructions
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Which involves running exe files.

Edit: ok apparently those instructions didn't include running the bat file. Anyway.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

That's a terrible way to distribute a mod, imo. It should run with just the .pk3 only, you should not need .exe's or .bat's.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Rachael wrote:That's a terrible way to distribute a mod, imo. It should run with just the .pk3 only, you should not need .exe's or .bat's.
DoomRPG is unfortunately a really complicated mod with a lot of different parts, which means there's about 10 or so different things that either need to be loaded or not loaded depending on what it's being run with.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

wildweasel wrote:
Rachael wrote:That's a terrible way to distribute a mod, imo. It should run with just the .pk3 only, you should not need .exe's or .bat's.
DoomRPG is unfortunately a really complicated mod with a lot of different parts, which means there's about 10 or so different things that either need to be loaded or not loaded depending on what it's being run with.
Indeed. I'd argue it's even actually a far better way to distribute it, considering loading DoomRPG correctly from the command line is pretty much hell (at least IMO). And I dunno about the continued DRPG version floating around, but the launcher for the original DoomRPG is a pretty simple open source application written in C#.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

That makes it sound like I will have to spend considerable time figuring out how to replicate this bug report. Sorry, I'm not interested enough in DoomRPG to do that. These bugs aren't even entertaining to fix to begin with.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I'll leave this open in case _mental_ or Graf might have an idea that might tackle this. Otherwise, this will unfortunately have to get closed. :(
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

From some testing, it doesn't seem to be related to the outpost map at all - if you start the game on E1M1, it'll crash, too. Gonna test it further and report back on any possible findings.

[edit] Also, rather than a full-on crash, I seem to get the "Failed to submit command buffer" error instead. Gonna try on the latest master too, just in case.
Last edited by phantombeta on Sun May 12, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Testing on 4.1.1 right now will just create too many false reports.
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

After testing on a debug build of the latest master, I seem to be getting no crashes anymore. That said, I seem to be getting assertion errors in p_sight.cpp when running DoomRPG... But only when using OpenGL. I don't get those assertion errors with Vulkan.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

This assertion may fail regardless of renderer. The second argument of ACS CheckSight() function is zero and script activator is null as well.
Hard to say what errors these assertions supposed to catch. There are explicit tests for null pointers right after them.

As for the crash, please test with the latest devbuild.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

These assertions come from a time when this function could not be called from ACS. With that function in the game the assertions are useless.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”