Low Detail Shader

Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Low Detail Shader

Post by Rachael »

PixelCrunch wrote: I also use GZDOOM 3.7.1 (because my shitty graphics card does not support OpenGL 3.0+), but i'm not sure how i can make that work, as i've never tested it there.
Rachael wrote:If it doesn't work then your card is probably not supporting shaders.
You can't make it work, sorry.
PixelCrunch
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by PixelCrunch »

Is there some sort of thing i have to do to activate it (eg. certain button presses, ect.)

Also, how do i check if my gfx card can handle shaders?
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

PixelCrunch wrote: Sorry if i necro or not, but for me it's not working. I put the code into the Console in QZDOOM 2.1.0, but nothing happens at all. Please help me get it to run, i'm trying to make a true Jaguar Doom TC!
Yeah I tried GZDoom 3.6 and ZDoom 2.8.1 and it wouldn't work, but it worked no problem with anything later than 3.6.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

PixelCrunch wrote:Is there some sort of thing i have to do to activate it (eg. certain button presses, ect.)

Also, how do i check if my gfx card can handle shaders?
You just told us straight up that your card can't handle newer versions of GZDoom.

I don't know how to explain it in a way that you can understand - but unfortunately, the shader only works if you're able to run the newer versions. It'll run just fine for everyone who can run those newer versions, though.

The hardware requirements for running this shader are the same as they are for the newer versions of GZDoom.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

I don't know, you definitely doing something wrong guys, works fine with this card: https://youtu.be/iQIFF1OVic4

Did we really live to the times when a modern graphics card needed to run doom in 320x200 :wink:

Should I say
Spoiler:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Darkcrafter wrote:Did we really live to the times when a modern graphics card needed to run doom in 320x200 :wink:
You can still run Doom in 320x200. It's running GZDoom in 320x200 that requires a different approach.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

There are plans to restore 320x200 compatibility with menus and all, but they're on the back burner right now.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Yeah that's nice. But Mr.Vulkan's first! :) I won't get surprised if GZDoom supports multithreading after this because I heard vulkan and directx 12 are so way ahead of opengl and directx 11 on that.
PixelCrunch
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by PixelCrunch »

Rachael, can you AT LEAST make a version of your shader for Legacy GZDOOM? Please?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

How? The legacy path for GZDoom will not support custom post shaders - period.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

To add to Rachael's answer: the features required to do post-processing is exactly what older hardware doesn't support and therefore isn't included in legacy versions. Old hardware cannot magically be made to do stuff it was never built for.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Exactly. This isn't a question of whether I want to or not. This is a question of "I simply can't do it".

A lot of modern features in GZDoom require a newer graphics card in order to function. If I could, I would do it, but this one's out of my hands. Your GPU chip is just too old. There's a reason why developers keep shitting on it - and it's because it can't do the things you expect us to wave our fingers and magically make it work to do.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

There is definitely some sort of magic going on with pixelated look. I always noticed that the higher resolution is there the more details must be in a scene not to get boring and flattie. Human brain wants to explore, with higher resolution there is not a much of that "learning curve" to it, so it's getting to know the scene geometry much more quickly than if it would looking at pixels trying to guess a shape and textures. So as far as there is higher resolution a scene must be detailed higher to at least leave the mind on thinking longer. Maybe that's what just I think?
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

would it be possible if this shader could ignore HUD weapon sprites via option / separate release? this makes for a good time for that nostalgia trip ;P
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Original Doom actually never did this.

Nevertheless, your request was easy enough. So here you go.
Attachments
lowdetail_nohudsprites.pk3
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

Return to “Shaders”